Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 10.04.2016 12:06 PM

I saw Kanye just in time, it seems. Tour dates have been postponed after the robbery. Yay for me! Sucky for the Wests.

Severian 10.04.2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
When I'm listening to it, I don't want to hear anything else. When I'm in the middle of 808s, MBDTF doesn't even exist for me. It doesn't have a weak moment.

Edit: Wayne's "you think your shit don't stink but you are Mrs. Pee-yew" is its weak moment.

pepper_green 10.04.2016 04:09 PM

[quote=Severian][quote=pepper_green]on that note: im still gonna call my dog "nigga" with a heavy southern accent because well, he is mi nigga and the coolest nigga.
Quote:

No offense, but this kind of thing makes you an active part of the problem, though I'm sure its not intentional.

This is pretty shitty reasoning. Obviously black people are extremely divided about their feelings about this word. Knowing black people doesn't have any bearing on whether the word is ok to say. For many black people, it's completely unacceptable even as slang.

The whole "My friends are black so I get it" argument is the oldest and most idiotic one in the book.

it was idiotic. all of it. idiotic drunk garble. im just an idiotic drunk garbler trying to get at someone's goat and make sense in some drunken garble way. it never works so, i'll just fall deeper in the drunken garble miasma. I have neither the consciousness nor the sobriety to wonder if I've embarrassed or explained myself yet again. I really should be banned. on that note: I don't think im the problem more so than me acting out the caricature of the problem. that seems to be the problem at least and the barrier between me and you and the drunken garble.

pepper_green 10.04.2016 04:42 PM

now that I've re-read your response Sev, im thinking maybe by "dog" you thought I meant "dawg". im a crazy white boy but im not that crazy. I would have to mention the word "wigger" then a back and forth racial response ad infinitum with lots of drunken garble.

Rob Instigator 10.05.2016 03:01 PM

Norf Norf (white lady remix) https://youtu.be/o8NmvEt_cVA?t=1m26s

louder 10.05.2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

I love how she says "never no problem spraying no witnesses, no face, no case, been with the shit.. hopped out broad day then emptied clips".. then she warns us: "this is where it REALLY gets messed up".... "cut class cause it wasn't 'bout cash". :o

pepper_green 10.05.2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

ha! dat white gurl know she likes it. why deny.

Severian 10.05.2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

You know this shit is really tough for me to get my head around personally.
I listen to this stuff (and much, much worse stuff than Vince, who's downright repentant compared to a lot of the gangster rap we grew up with), and it almost never makes makes me feel anything other than the song's groove... I don't feel horrified or stunned, and I think of myself as a pretty sensitive and non-violent person.

But whenever someone else takes issue with a rap lyric, I usually do have to admit that the shit's pretty goddamn offensive. Watching that woman recite the "hoes need abortions" line was decidedly unpleasant. If these lyrics were coming from the mouth of a friend of mine, I'd be horrified.

But I'm not horrified by the music. Certainly not Vince's. Love it in fact. But once those lyrics become once removed from their context as expressive, open-to-interpretation elements of a man's art, they start to freak me out a bit.

I genuinely don't know why this is. Again, not shocked or even unsettled by the music itself, but show me a white person saying those words and I'll get pretty fucking disturbed.

I think it must have to do with the fact that I know hip-hop is supposed to be this way. It's uniquely suited to be an outlet for musings on violence, drugs, sex, and social unease. I expect it. But I still find the phrase "hoes need abortions" pretty ugly and terrifying when it's outside of the context of music.

For me that video was 100% more upsetting than "Norf Norf."

louder 10.05.2016 06:13 PM

Vince just shows it like it is. He always speaks about how most rappers are fake and hates how they glorify gang life on their songs. He even funds programs to help the youth in Long Beach so the kids can have some other shit to do besides killing each other.

louder 10.05.2016 06:29 PM

I always found it interesting how Vince looks like a regular person - skinny, buzzcut, no tats, doesn't rock any jewelry.. yet is supposedly one of the rappers who have done more fucked up shit than anyone (he gets a pass for talking about Crippin' on his music so you know he's real).

louder 10.05.2016 06:35 PM

Severian 10.05.2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

Holy shit I just realized Chance looks a LOT like MJ. In his facial structure, nose and eyes. Chano's a little ah... healthier looking for sure, but there's a definite similarity there.

Severian 10.05.2016 06:59 PM

What the hell is MJ doing there? Is that, like, the "I'm Captain Hook" sign?

(Actually it probably is come to think of it.)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.05.2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

What the hell is MJ doing there? Is that, like, the "I'm Captain Hook" sign?

(Actually it probably is come to think of it.)

why you always hating on gang culture? some dudes took your wallet once or nah?

pepper_green 10.05.2016 08:02 PM

MJ made his name in the 60's and 70's by dancing like a mother and sung like a soulful angel. he had a get out of jail free card. no one can match him ever. his Jackson 5 days is some of my favorite singing.

my first love. I still love MJ.

Severian 10.05.2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
why you always hating on gang culture? some dudes took your wallet once or nah?

Well, I certainly don't like gang culture, but I wasn't hating on it when I poked fun at MJ's Captain Hook sign throwing.

Severian 10.05.2016 08:59 PM

Well now I'm confused because that dude to his left is making the same sign.

Severian 10.05.2016 09:38 PM

Oh man you guys just have to watch Luke Cage!
There's a scene where Method Man makes a cameo, playing himself, and it's not cheesy. Luke saves him and Meth's like "It's you!" And Luke says, "no, it's YOU. "P.L.O. Style was my joint back in the day!"

Hah!

Very cool for a fan of both Wu-Tang and Marvel comics. In fact the whole series makes nods to hip hop of all varieties, from Sugarhill Gang to A$AP Rocky and Nicki Minaj. And Ghostface's 12 Reasons to Die is featured more than once in the soundtrack. I think the score writers even took a big cue from GFK and Adrian in composing the incidental music throughout the show.

Good shit. Especially in this era of police shootings. It's nice to see a bulletproof black man who looks like Kanye on steroids kick ass all over Harlem.

EDIT: Okay, so he raps later and it gets a little corny. But still... pretty awesome.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.05.2016 09:42 PM

Quote:

Well now I'm confused because that dude to his left is making the same sign.

yeah that was my point,
they ALL were throwing up the same sign yo

Severian 10.05.2016 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
yeah that was my point,
they ALL were throwing up the same sign yo

:eek:

They ALL love Captain Hook?!?!