Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 10.01.2016 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Louder - I guess the new Cudi was delayed, but there's a new single out on iTunes called "Surfin'" with Pharrell. Sounds WAY better than Speeding Bullet. Bit redundant, but I like it I think.

Yeah it's not bad. I like the other single "Frequency" even more, now that's the type of music I want him to make.

PLips 10.01.2016 02:37 PM

Okay this will somewhat validate my complaint about hip hop: are there any rappers who can rap and play guitar or drums at the same time? I'd like to listen to that skill.

Severian 10.01.2016 02:56 PM

Not directly related, but y'all should watch Marvel's Like Cage. It's full of great hip-hop and soul and funk music spanning decades.

louder 10.01.2016 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLips
Okay this will somewhat validate my complaint about hip hop: are there any rappers who can rap and play guitar or drums at the same time? I'd like to listen to that skill.

Anderson .Paak plays drums while rapping in all of his live shows.

louder 10.01.2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Not directly related, but y'all should watch Marvel's Like Cage. It's full of great hip-hop and soul and funk music spanning decades.

I've seen the trailer, looks cool. Will watch.

PLips 10.01.2016 03:01 PM

Avoid me eh? That's it! I'm going to write my own Ebonic Hip Hop salute to my Black Brothas with guitar accordion and coconuts. I'll be back in a few months. Cheers!

louder 10.01.2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Avoid me eh? That's it! I'm going to write my own Ebonic Hip Hop salute to my Black Brothas with guitar accordion and coconuts. I'll be back in a few months. Cheers!

I just gave you an answer though. Look up any Anderson .Paak live performance on YouTube.

PLips 10.01.2016 03:08 PM

Yeah I just saw it. I'm a loser jumping to conclusions with a bias. It was AWESOME. Thanks for your patience in correcting me

PLips 10.01.2016 03:24 PM

Because I jumped to conclusions, I will leave this thread until I come up with the honkiest Ebonic Hip Hop I can imagine and post it on here. It's obvious Hip Hop is not the problem, it's that my taste is so specific unless I create it myself it won't be done. I am a 'square'. I like wholesome hip hop and haven't heard much profound stuff. Sorry to involve you in my own insecurities. Goodbye.

pepper_green 10.01.2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

I gotta say I kind of agree with (or see the logic in) your first lost, but I'm not sure it's fair to say that black people onlynuse the word because they were tricked into it. To say that it to almost completely strip them of power and choice.

I'm not saying you're wrong ... I'm just not sure you're 100% on point.

Though I respect your frustration and your anger.

Heaving someone just across the fence from me "joke" (in a very serious and bloodcurdlingly four way) about putting someone into a motherfucking wood chipper because of the color of their skin makes me want to curb stomp skulls. When I heard that my heart felt like it was going to pop out of my chest. The "old me" would have knocked on the door and said something, but the old me got into and lost one too many fist fights.

I can't stand hearing that shit. It makes me sick to my stomach. Obviously SOMETHING is wrong with EVERYTHING if people think they can talk that way and just get away with it.

it's really the use of the word and whether or not yr racist. I've lived in Georgia my whole life and im still shocked at how the word is thrown around. my girlfriend, not real girlfriend, uses it all the time when I visit her with her neighbors.

it goes:

white girl: "I told that nigga to get da fuck out of my house, he's just trying to butter me up." nigga meaning white dude.

black girl: "I hear you sister. yep, he's trying to butter you up."

me: shocked, no matter how many times I've heard this where I live.

you can tell me this or that but, I am a product of my environment and I could give you worse examples than that. im still not used to certain racism. then there's things that go on like the dialogue I typed above.

America is a huge country with different fractions of different fractions with different cultures and ideas. it's alien to give an opinion with the opposite opinion a thousand miles away.

it amazes me that so few people can still control a huge amount of the population.

pepper_green 10.01.2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Now that I'm in a small town (which is like an alien land to a city boy like me, on ankumber of different levels), I hear the word on an almost daily basis. And since there are only about a handful of black people here, it's almost always coming out of the mouth of some fucker using the "slang" variation to cover up their hate with what they think passes for humor.

see, this has nothing to do with me. I get nervous around lots of white people because I didn't grow up around lots of white people. I go to all black clubs and feel right at home. I go to all white clubs and feel frigid as hell. same with our school systems.

totally different setting and totally different situation.

if I lived in an all white setting with whiteys throwing around the N word like crazy, I would have to slam some faces in. the. ground. I guarantee you these are same white people that accuse the world of being racist when they are the most racist of all. it seems odd and alien to me to experience what I do then read about what it's like to others.

don't blame southerners, blame the Gary Indiana lonely white assholes. don't argue with me, I will come through the screen and slap yr white ass.;)

you know who is the most racist people are? northern city non-black inner american city white people. because they feel safe in their coffee shops in the RIGHT side of town. discussing how racist everyone else is while secretly being racist. if there is a divided fraction it, surely is in the northern big cities. safe on the white side. dangerous on the black side of town. again, tell im wrong but they're scared ass white people who don't have any black friends.

pepper_green 10.01.2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Because I jumped to conclusions, I will leave this thread until I come up with the honkiest Ebonic Hip Hop I can imagine and post it on here. It's obvious Hip Hop is not the problem, it's that my taste is so specific unless I create it myself it won't be done. I am a 'square'. I like wholesome hip hop and haven't heard much profound stuff. Sorry to involve you in my own insecurities. Goodbye.

no! you are just a white boy!! you white boy!! with inexperienced white boy experiences. so if anyone wants to call me a racist they can eat a fucking dick. i highly, highly doubt you've experienced racism in your life. whether in the first person or not.

pepper_green 10.01.2016 08:50 PM

on that note: im still gonna call my dog "nigga" with a heavy southern accent because well, he is mi nigga and the coolest nigga. nigga.

product of my environment. I bet I have more black friends than you do or would ever have.

ah ha!:)

Severian 10.02.2016 11:38 AM

[quote=pepper_green]on that note: im still gonna call my dog "nigga" with a heavy southern accent because well, he is mi nigga and the coolest nigga.
[quote]

No offense, but this kind of thing makes you an active part of the problem, though I'm sure its not intentional.

Quote:

I bet I have more black friends than you do or would ever have.

This is pretty shitty reasoning. Obviously black people are extremely divided about their feelings about this word. Knowing black people doesn't have any bearing on whether the word is ok to say. For many black people, it's completely unacceptable even as slang.

The whole "My friends are black so I get it" argument is the oldest and most idiotic one in the book.

louder 10.03.2016 04:35 AM

Solange's album is one of the best I've heard in a long time..

Severian 10.03.2016 05:37 PM

Yeah, I've been meaning to get that new Solange.

Dude, did you know her middle name is Piaget?!
Maybe that means nothing to you, or maybe it means something cooler than what it means to me. But to me, it sounds like our girl was named after one of the pioneering cognitive development theorists, Swiss psychologist Jean Piaget.
This guy:

Eh?

Severian 10.03.2016 05:49 PM

I've been meaning to lay some thoughts down about 808s & Heartbreak.

You know how the album is almost universally viewed as a "cold" and almost "clinical" album that sounds like detachment and alienation and fear? (That's the lore anyway, propagated by pitchfork and the like)

Well, I have to say... honestly, to me the album is perhaps the warmest sounding thing Kanye's ever done. Yeah, I get the alienation part, but I don't think it's as cold as all that. Not at all. In fact, for a "minimalist" album made with so many synths and digital doohickeys, it sounds a hell of a lot like a big fluffy microfiber blanket to me.

There are a couple of moments that really do sound haunted, like "See You in My Nightmares" ... but pretty much everything else on the album makes me really happy. I'd say it's his warmest album next to Late Registration.

Even though "Paranoid" and "Robocop" (man I Fucking love Robocop, for real) deal with unpleasant subject matter, they're delivered in an utterly joyful way. Robocop is like Ye'a "Strawberry Fields" or some shit. Does anyone think that's a sad song? Even "Street Lights" is totally lovely, and it's perhaps the saddest Singh on the album.

Just throwin that out there. In the grand scheme of things, 808s is infinitely happier than anything that came after it.

Also, I think it's still misunderstood. People call it low key, but the grooves are bumpin throughout. After "Say You Will" which is admittedly pretty cold and clinical sounding.

[/waxing Kanyesophical]

noisereductions 10.03.2016 10:35 PM

In 2008 it sounded like a transitional album. In 2016 it sounds like a masterpiece. For real.

noisereductions 10.03.2016 10:37 PM

Amazing is my fav Kanye track of all time.

Severian 10.03.2016 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
In 2008 it sounded like a transitional album. In 2016 it sounds like a masterpiece. For real.

When I'm listening to it, I don't want to hear anything else. When I'm in the middle of 808s, MBDTF doesn't even exist for me. It doesn't have a weak moment.