Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lou Reed RIP (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=100860)

Severian 11.14.2013 11:04 PM

I do not yet feel that I am emotionally ready to address this issue. It stings, burns, and itches, knowing that Lou Reed is no longer among the living. It hurts physically, which tells me that I am not capable of distancing myself from the man/myth/legend (or anti-all of those things) and his music, enough to write anything that won't seem laughably self-indulgent and inappropriate in retrospect.

I imagine this is how the world will feel when Dylan goes.

Hopefully with time, sentiment will give way to a more objective tale on Lou Reed, and the grief I feel over his passing. Until then, I'm going to keep my mouth shut about it. Except for this little pop-in right here, to let no one know that I give a shit.

sergisonic 11.15.2013 04:38 AM

This is my (spanish) text remembering Lou Reed:
http://indiespot.es/2013/11/01/la-pua-de-lou-reed/

evollove 11.15.2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

I imagine this is how the world will feel when Dylan goes.

Yeah, I started imagining headlines for various artists we assume will be around forever. Yes, one day the paper will read "Dylan dead at --"

Van Morrison. Joni Mitchell. Iggy. Tom Waits. Mick. Keith. Since everyone dies, this list could be very long.

Why is something so inevitable so surprising?

hipster_bebop_junkie 11.15.2013 07:01 PM

Pictures of Lou Reed's memorial:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pi...-loss-20131115

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.15.2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
we never know any of the artist personally so why should we really miss them?

Maybe its because I spend so much time going to shows and gigs, but while I don't know a lot of artists personally, I've made it a point to meet and talk with any band/artists I get the chance, and have essentially chatted with half the bands in my library. So there is at least a meaningful connection which is to say, I miss them when their gone (RIP CHI CHENG :( )...

That, and when you listen to peoples' music often if not daily, their art becomes such a big part of your life that you miss that as well. You will always have their art, but while they're living it feels like a direct connection, hence the loss.

As to Lou Reed, I never met the guy, but I literally grew up on his music, and I will miss that. I still have the music, but now it has a more somber attachment, as it should.

RanaldoNecro 11.27.2013 06:37 PM

Cool Velvets tracks released. Thurston has covered this.

https://soundcloud.com/umesongs/the-...rground-im-not

The Soup Nazi 11.27.2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
Cool Velvets tracks released. Thurston has covered this.
https://soundcloud.com/umesongs/the-...rground-im-not

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
That song has been out for years now along with the rest of that gym show.

The deluxe White Light/White Heat will see the white light of the official day on December 10. Besides the fact that the (April?) 1967 Gym show will finally be out in (hopefully) bitchen sound, I'm intrigued by the alternate stereo take of "I Heard Her Call My Name" (!) and the early "Beginning To See The Light". As for the liner notes, I would have preferred Richie Unterberger (dig his t-shirt) or Clinton Heylin to David Fricke, but apparently Fricke interviewed Lou and Cale this year for this box set, so I'm down with having access to such recent info. Plus, I guess I should just be happy that Heylin is apparently no longer persona non grata within Bob Dylan's inner circle, as proven by the inclusion of his liner notes on Dylan's insane Complete Album Collection Vol. 1 megabox.

Mortte Jousimo 12.01.2013 03:44 AM

There came great document about Lou from Finnish television yesterday (Thurston & Lee were also interviewed in it). Even I have loved his music & lyrics, I think yesterday I totally understood how unique he was. There has been no-one like him & I donīt believe there will never been anyone like him.

I got almost all Velvets albums, but only Transformer & Berlin from his solos. Iīm going to buy at least Metal Machine Music. And I am going to listen all his solos.

guest 12.01.2013 04:34 AM

for reed do the live records, rock n roll animal and take no prisoners, to me they're the best, the latter in particular embodying that which makes lou such a fucking legend. also try hudson river wind meditations, once you get through the cloud of hippy bullshit surrounding it (fuck you tai chi) it's actually a really good set of drone pieces.

Mortte Jousimo 12.01.2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
for reed do the live records, rock n roll animal and take no prisoners, to me they're the best, the latter in particular embodying that which makes lou such a fucking legend. also try hudson river wind meditations, once you get through the cloud of hippy bullshit surrounding it (fuck you tai chi) it's actually a really good set of drone pieces.

Thanx for recommendations! Iīve heard those 70es lives only partly, going to listen them also. Just listened first album first time and I have to say itīs a lot better than itīs reputation (maybe partly because I have always loved VU-album & there are three pieces from it, freshing different versions but there are also other great stuff like the whole Berlin-song).

Btw I donīt have anything against hippy bullshit, I am kind of hippy myself.

The Soup Nazi 12.01.2013 05:16 PM

MJ, I'd recommend to you (more or less in this order):

- The Blue Mask
- Ecstasy
- The Bells
- New York
- Metal Machine Music
- The Creation Of The Universe
- Coney Island Baby

I got The Creation Of The Universe directly from his website but it doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

guest 12.02.2013 07:09 AM

shit, always forgetting about ecstasy. mad record.

Mortte Jousimo 12.02.2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
MJ, I'd recommend to you (more or less in this order):

- The Blue Mask
- Ecstasy
- The Bells
- New York
- Metal Machine Music
- The Creation Of The Universe
- Coney Island Baby

I got The Creation Of The Universe directly from his website but it doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

Thanx! I always like to listen in release order, I think I will do it also with Lou. But I try to find all these records (Iīm not sure can I find all his releases). And these are long projects to me, but I have always gone through them.

The Soup Nazi 12.02.2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
also try hudson river wind meditations.

I like this one as well. Besides the music, I like the fact that Lou, being Lou, brought the "meditations" to down-to-earth my-real-environment territory and named them after "the filthy Hudson, what a shock" ;). Any new age douchebag would have called the album Breezes of Mount Everest or some such bullcrap.

The Soup Nazi 12.10.2013 01:29 PM

From Uncut.co.uk:

Quote:

Lou Reed Remembered documentary to be broadcast this weekend

Lou Reed Remembered will air at 9pm on BBC Four this Sunday [December 15] and will include contributions from Reed's former Velvet Underground bandmates Mo Tucker and Doug Yule plus Thurston Moore and Debbie Harry.

Berlin guitarist Steve Hunter, novelist Paul Auster and photographer Mick Rock will also speak about Reed while Trash actress Holly Woodlawn will also appear.

A BBC statement about the documentary reads: "With the help of friends, fellow musicians, critics and those who have been inspired not only by his music but also by his famously contrary approach to almost everything, the documentary looks at how Reed not only helped to shape a generation but also helped to create a truly alternative, independent rock scene, while also providing New York with its most provocative and potent soundtrack."

Genteel Death 12.10.2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
From Uncut.co.uk:

Thank you.

tesla69 12.11.2013 06:25 PM

Don't read this if it will upset you

http://harddawn.com/did-lady-gaga-kill-lou-reed/

Genteel Death 12.23.2013 02:45 PM

I loved Thurston Moore's contribution on this. I too listen to Metal Machine Music all the way through and there was nothing like it when I first got the record.

The Soup Nazi 12.23.2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I loved Thurston Moore's contribution on this. I too listen to Metal Machine Music all the way through and there was nothing like it when I first got the record.

The Rolling Stone reporter with whom Thurston says he recently spoke ("Well, nobody's ever listened to that record all the way through") is just another wretched oligophrenic who's parroting the same horseshit repeated by brain-dead mooks over and over since 1975. No wonder he's from that sorry wavering magazine. When Lou died, all TV networks who gave a half-assed shit asked RS's Anthony DeCurtis and MTV mutants for their "expert" take on Reed - pathetic, as always. While CNN was doing specials on Paul fucking Walker, it took the BBC to come up with a decent program about one of the few true giants of 20th and 21st Century art.

:mad:

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.23.2013 04:09 PM

People don't care about Lou Reed because since the mid-1970s it was fairly clear that in regards to the music media and critics, Lou Reed could give two fucks about them. Its post-houmous retaliation, and if anything, it all the more vindicates Lou's approach..