Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Antagon 04.05.2019 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
True story:

I took a folk music class as an elective in college, and I brought in this album and taught the class how to play a folk rendition of “Cosmic Dancer.” :D

(It sounded badass)

I'd imagine. Cosmic Dancer really lends itself to the Folk treatment.

Right now

h8kurdt 04.05.2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Since this was recorded after 1972 at obviously doesn't exist.

Wait...you're saying Floyd didn't write anything good after 1972?!

demonrail666 04.05.2019 06:28 AM

Gun Club - Lucky Jim

Massively underrated IMO

Savage Clone 04.05.2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Wait...you're saying Floyd didn't write anything good after 1972?!

They certainly didn't do anything great after 72. But their stuff before that is some of my favorite music ever.

Speaking of...

I just saw Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets the other night, and it was pretty amazing. All drawn from the first four Floyd albums, heavy Barrett quotient, even "Vegetable Man." It was way more excellent than I could have expected.

Rob Instigator 04.05.2019 08:42 AM

CAN'T......STOP......

Doja Cat - Juicy https://youtu.be/X2kPLQEFR6Y

she eat that ice cream
to get that booty booty

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.05.2019 12:44 PM

h8kurdt 04.05.2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
They certainly didn't do anything great after 72. But their stuff before that is some of my favorite music ever.

Speaking of...

I just saw Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets the other night, and it was pretty amazing. All drawn from the first four Floyd albums, heavy Barrett quotient, even "Vegetable Man." It was way more excellent than I could have expected.

I weep.

As for seeing Saucerful of secrets I was bloody travelling when they we're playing near my home area. I was actually really gutted to miss it the. Never thought I'd be gutted to not see Martin Kemp play live.

Savage Clone 04.05.2019 02:59 PM

He absolutely slayed on guitar, no lie. Set The Controls especially.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.07.2019 11:59 PM

Bytor Peltor 04.08.2019 02:47 AM

Ak’chamel - Death Chants

Toilet & Bowels 04.08.2019 07:26 AM

I heard Devin Townsend for the first time the other day, it is the worst music I've come across in the last 15 years

Severian 04.08.2019 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Must spread some reputation around

Severian 04.08.2019 07:35 AM

Right now...

Antagon 04.08.2019 03:59 PM

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising

Checking it out because it's being praised to high heaven right now

Antagon 04.08.2019 04:54 PM

First thoughts: It's alright. The arrangement with its string sections and all its finesse is even legitimately great at times. I like some of the nods to 70s Folk. And I do like her voice, generally. I just feel like things don't always add up in a satisfying way. There's a lot of meandering. Maybe it's the production, maybe the songwriting - can't quite put my finger on it right now. There's a lot of good in there though. Will give it a relisten at some later date.

Severian 04.08.2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
First thoughts: It's alright. The arrangement with its string sections and all its finesse is even legitimately great at times. I like some of the nods to 70s Folk. And I do like her voice, generally. I just feel like things don't always add up in a satisfying way. There's a lot of meandering. Maybe it's the production, maybe the songwriting - can't quite put my finger on it right now. There's a lot of good in there though. Will give it a relisten at some later date.

It’s fine.
Super overrated. People acting like it’s goddamn Trout Mask Replica.

choc e-Claire 04.08.2019 07:38 PM

Cavetown - Boys Will Be Bugs

I met up with a girl who I was really close friends with yesterday for a few hours (she graduated and moved away), and she told me to listen to this song, and I cried in the supermarket. She's amazing.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.08.2019 10:34 PM

^ =)

choc e-Claire 04.09.2019 01:23 AM

One of these albums is worth plaudits here, the others aren't.

Listened to this because it was the 25th anniversary of its release yesterday, and The Offspring were a band I really liked before I discovered other, better bands. This album is still solid.

Found this one at the local library, a pleasant surprise. OPN is good.

Also found this one at the local library. Thought I'd give it a relisten to try and see why my friends are into it.
I think I'd like them a lot more if I didn't think Brendon Urie was such a twat.

_tunic_ 04.09.2019 01:54 AM

oh the library. I loved getting albums from the library when I was your age (which was just before the beginning of WWI), and then copy them onto cassettes at home. This was possibly my favourite discovery

I no longer know whether it was only the sleeve that made me curious or if someone had recommended me to it