Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 11.27.2019 09:18 AM

Watched a Jack Black movie about the Polka King.

LifeDistortion 11.27.2019 02:13 PM

Anyone see The Irishman yet?

ilduclo 11.27.2019 02:22 PM

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Not the best Tarantino, but still OK

h8kurdt 11.27.2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

Sheet. I'm a busy bee. If I'm watching that I gotta have at least two days free before committing to watching it in one go.

I wanted to see it at the pictures but they stopped showing it before I got chance to go. Being in a cinema means you're forced to not get distracted by the damn fucking phone or anything else.

choc e-Claire 11.28.2019 11:03 PM

tw2113 11.30.2019 08:24 PM

One of the too many versions of Blade Runner, with "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" queued up afterwards.

Severian 12.02.2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Yep.

It was quite good, but the editor in me couldn’t help but think it did NOT need to be 3 1/2 hours long. Like, it was two full sittings. Could have had a lot of stuff clipped. 2019 attention spans are not built for it.

But it’s solid.

There’s some questionable de-aging that goes on with DeNiro... they do something to his face for a while to smoothify it, and with that and the bright blue contact lenses (meant to signify Irishness?), there are a couple Uncanny Valley moments in there, early on.

But overall... great ode to mob movies.

And there are people in it from basically every mob/crime film/series ever made. Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Godfather, GoodFellas, Mean Streets... aka Scorsese casting, but still: hard to find even a bit part that didn’t turn up in something else of note.

Good stuff.

h8kurdt 12.02.2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
"Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" queued up afterwards.

Actually watched this on Saturday with the Mrs. Still holds up as not only one of John Hughes' best films but one of the best films of the 80s.

!@#$%! 12.02.2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Actually watched this on Saturday with the Mrs. Still holds up as not only one of John Hughes' best films but one of the best films of the 80s.

i know what you mean. it’s right up there with footloose and honey i shrank the kids :D

but seriously, even though i dislike some of it at some levels (mostly ideological, same as groundhog day, maybe i’m just a jerk) it does have some memorable & hilarious moments, and john candy is great in it.

ilduclo 12.02.2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yep.

It was quite good, but the editor in me couldn’t help but think it did NOT need to be 3 1/2 hours long. Like, it was two full sittings. Could have had a lot of stuff clipped. 2019 attention spans are not built for it.

But it’s solid.

There’s some questionable de-aging that goes on with DeNiro... they do something to his face for a while to smoothify it, and with that and the bright blue contact lenses (meant to signify Irishness?), there are a couple Uncanny Valley moments in there, early on.

But overall... great ode to mob movies.

And there are people in it from basically every mob/crime film/series ever made. Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Godfather, GoodFellas, Mean Streets... aka Scorsese casting, but still: hard to find even a bit part that didn’t turn up in something else of note.

Good stuff.

Pesci was great, not so for Pacino or Graham. All in all, pretty good, though.

Rob Instigator 12.02.2019 01:11 PM

pesci was dope. Irishman was fun.

ilduclo 12.02.2019 01:28 PM

DeNiro looks just like LBJ

Rob Instigator 12.04.2019 09:24 AM

Too wifey to a 30th anniversary screening of When Harry Met Sally. supa fun.

tw2113 12.05.2019 01:54 AM

Scrooged, as I continue to somewhat slowly work my way through many variations of "A Christmas Carol" as per my tradition.

Severian 12.05.2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo

I thought he looked like Alec Baldwin. At least around the eyes (all Irish people have bright blue eyes I guess?)

_tunic_ 12.05.2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo

You need new glasses? :p

LifeDistortion 12.05.2019 01:41 PM

Revisited this last night, what a damn great movie this is.

!@#$%! 12.05.2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Revisited this last night, what a damn great movie this is.

very fucking nice glossy experience.

Rob Instigator 12.06.2019 11:00 AM

late at night, under the influence of sticky icky goodness, we tried to watch Christmas with the Kranks, got about 20 minutes in, did not laugh ONCE, and turned that shit off. what a fucking horror show.

!@#$%! 12.06.2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
late at night, under the influence of sticky icky goodness, we tried to watch Christmas with the Kranks, got about 20 minutes in, did not laugh ONCE, and turned that shit off. what a fucking horror show.

indeed THE FUCKING WORST

unwatchable