Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chris Cornell Joins SY? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30522)

Moshe 04.23.2009 06:27 AM

Chris Cornell Joins SY?

http://www.oregonlive.com/music/inde...ing_risks.html

Q: Not to be Rick Rubin, but Sonic Youth: great guitar band, powerful drummer, which could use an actual singer ...

It would be amazing. I would never have to pick up a guitar again. I would become a geek. I'm like that. I'm very inquisitive. I remember the first time I was onstage with Tom Morello back in the Audioslave days. "What exactly is going on here?" was going through my head when I was watching him. I went to a Sonic Youth show in Seattle one time and I watched the guitar tech and (guitarist) Thurston (Moore) loading out, and I was counting the guitars. They had stacks of them. None of them were expensive. They had stacks of them because they had so many tunings. That had an impact on me. Sonic Youth are there for you. There are no rules.

nicfit 04.23.2009 06:45 AM

yeah, 3 singers is not enough in a band :D

besides, as I kinda said in another thread, Tom Jones would suit SY bette.

blunderbuss 04.23.2009 06:53 AM

I's like to see Beyonce fronting Sonic Youth. As long as she promised to use the auto-tune thingy, obviously.

Youth_Against_Facism 04.23.2009 07:03 AM

Please God no!

barnaclelapse 04.23.2009 07:11 AM

I'm not crazy about the guy, but that's a nice quote.

summer 04.23.2009 07:21 AM

The original question is kind of lame. Why does Sonic Youth need an "actual singer"? I love Chris Cornell and all, but his vocals would never fit Sonic Youth.

bloodcrystallisetosand 04.23.2009 07:27 AM

it would be a giggle though: imagine him running through I'm Insane off Bad Moon... or doing a Kim song... :P

_slavo_ 04.23.2009 07:32 AM

He would definitely sound well in one of the songs off Sonic Death.

blunderbuss 04.23.2009 07:33 AM

He'd do a nice Flower.

atsonicpark 04.23.2009 07:44 AM

"which could use an actual singer"?

Whoever wrote that question is embarassing.

Rob Instigator 04.23.2009 08:40 AM

I stopped listening to soundgarden after Loder Than Love. I enjoyed Cornell more when he was wailing at high register, full on kevin;s mom and shit. his lower register growl croon sucks, and I hate it.

uhler 04.23.2009 11:56 AM

i would stop listening to them if chris cornell joined the band.

deflinus 04.23.2009 12:01 PM

i HATE tom morello

atsonicpark 04.23.2009 12:04 PM

Yeah, he's a moron. Shitty one finger tuned-to-mud-sharp-riffs riffs and then he occasionally steps on a pedal or turns his volume on and off and people act like he's a guitar genius. None of those people who regard him so highly have heard the guy from Melt Banana, who makes Tom Morello seem like fucking Jandek in comparison.

That's not a Jandek knock, by the way. I love Jandeks' guitar playing, just noting that... fuck it, nevermind, I'd rather listen to Jandek play
all day long than to listen to one of Morello's shitty riffs.

adjectives-ex 04.23.2009 12:05 PM

i thilnk that it would be interesting if they did a song together or something. maybe they could slap him and wake him up from whatever daze he's been in since the good days of soundgarden. but i wouldn't want to ever see him "front" the band. that's thurston's job for the most part. and the fact that thurston couldn't ever said to be "fronting" SY is evidence of the fact that both kim and lee are amazing vocalists. thurston just seems to sing moore. and he's the tallest so he's always "fronting."

s.

summer 04.23.2009 02:01 PM

Ahhh why do people always knock Cornell's solo career? Rock music isn't the only good music. He's working with Timbaland, so what, it's neat music. It takes balls to do that because he's probably losing more old-time fans than gaining new ones.

Rob Instigator 04.23.2009 02:27 PM

it does NOT take balls to do commercial pap with played-out Timbaland.
all it takes is the desire to remain seemingly relevant and make money off of idiots.

automatic bzooty 04.23.2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
Ahhh why do people always knock Cornell's solo career? Rock music isn't the only good music. He's working with Timbaland, so what, it's neat music. It takes balls to do that because he's probably losing more old-time fans than gaining new ones.

i don't think that's a sign of ballage... more like he's just lost one.

Rob Instigator 04.23.2009 02:40 PM

I like this song a lot. I like when he sings high like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZ2wg1ZBxc

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.23.2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
The original question is kind of lame. Why does Sonic Youth need an "actual singer"? I love Chris Cornell and all, but his vocals would never fit Sonic Youth.

Glad someone caught that.

Fuck Chris Cornell though. He's a pile of shit and so is his singing. It would ruin SY.