Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Everyneurotic 06.30.2007 01:05 AM

if it all goes well, this year i'll be seeing two of the big german three this year (sodom and kreator, separately).

and after pd:

k-krack 06.30.2007 01:05 AM

Aww, man, that's shitty. My dad went through this (thank fucking christ, short-lived) phase where he would always have the country music channel on, and he would leave it on when he wasn't watching the tv... AWFUL!
I'm pretty stoked about the music scene here, however. Huge punk/hardcore scene, but there's a fringe sort of scene of really experimental and avant-garde stuff, which I'm really proud of. (I'll take this time to pimp Varge! (not my band, but one of my favourite bands of all-time, who happen to be from here!)) www.myspace.com/varge

*mind the total off-topic nature of this...

vulva 06.30.2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
if it all goes well, this year i'll be seeing two of the big german three this year (sodom and kreator, separately).

Kreator are unbelievable live man. I've seen them twice now and they were amazing both times. Funnily enough, Napalm opened up for Kreator last time I saw them. I was right against the guard rail during Kreator's set, got some great pics.

As for Destruction, I saw them a few months back. Phil from Municipal Waste got me in on the guest list and I got to meet Schmier and all them as well. Great guys, very down to earth even though they had just gotte strip searched at the border since their tour manager's a fucking moron.

krackah, I'll check out varge in a bit. Right now I'm finally listening to the newest Do Make Say Think.

k-krack 06.30.2007 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulva
krackah, I'll check out varge in a bit. Right now I'm finally listening to the newest Do Make Say Think.

If only I could rep you again... Dammit, great album/choice, man. Are you into any other constellation records stuff? If not... y'friggin' should be.

vulva 06.30.2007 01:15 AM

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey.... wasn't I the one trying to give YOU a bit of history/knowledge on GY!BE :P Of course I am man ;)

Have you heard the Stworywodne EP? It's got members of Do Make... and GY!BE. It actually has a pretty strong SY influence on it as well

k-krack 06.30.2007 01:18 AM

Oh, shit eh! I forgot that was you and the Sad Mafioso. I thought I knew everything!
No, I haven't! What the heck is it/what label/year?! Could you sendspace it or something? I'd love to here it (if you do, might want to pm it to me, though.. I'm outta town for a couple days).
I've recently completed my ASMZ and GY!BE collections, and I gotta say... two of the best bands in the world/ever.

vulva 06.30.2007 01:20 AM

my bad, I just looked in to the band more and whoever sent me the EP before lied to me. It doesn't have members of either band. That said, it's still a cool post-rock EP. I'll shitspace it or megashit it or whatever works best for ya, if you're still interested.

Everyneurotic 06.30.2007 01:20 AM

Quote:

Kreator are unbelievable live man. I've seen them twice now and they were amazing both times. Funnily enough, Napalm opened up for Kreator last time I saw them. I was right against the guard rail during Kreator's set, got some great pics.

As for Destruction, I saw them a few months back. Phil from Municipal Waste got me in on the guest list and I got to meet Schmier and all them as well. Great guys, very down to earth even though they had just gotte strip searched at the border since their tour manager's a fucking moron.

i've had like 10 000 chances to see kreator live as they seem to come play here every year, and haven't gone once, but now i'll be going, they are playing haaaa-aaaaa-aaaamerfaaaaa-aaaaall (i mean, who the fuck is making those bills? at least they paired celtic frost with amon amarth which in theory is ok, haven't heard aa yet), i'll be laughing my ass off with hammerfall.

destruction...that's the one band i haven't gotten into, i have desire for agony and i'm not that into it, i think they came here last year, can't remember.

you know phil from municipal waste? that's awesome, i've been rocking the art of partying for the past week, awesome album.

the newest dmst has some pretty amazing moments, but it's not as consistent as their previous stuff.

vulva 06.30.2007 01:22 AM

Phil's a great guy, have you heard his latest side project Cannabis Corpse?

k-krack 06.30.2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
the newest dmst has some pretty amazing moments, but it's not as consistent as their previous stuff.

I would've totally agreed the first couple weeks I had the album, but after a few more listens, it's fucking incredible, and stands up with all their best work, in my opinion. Not to mention it has one of their best songs yet, The Universe! So powerful, man.
It's amazing how much they've progressed since the first album, which is admittedly not too great (probably just in comparison to later perfection). It's good, but nothing like aforementioned later works.

vulva 06.30.2007 01:29 AM

I'm just on my virgin listen to this album. So far, though, I'm really liking what I'm hearing.

Everyneurotic 06.30.2007 01:29 AM

Quote:

Phil's a great guy, have you heard his latest side project Cannabis Corpse?

heard it existed, haven't heard the actual band. hilarious name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asskrack
I would've totally agreed the first couple weeks I had the album, but after a few more listens, it's fucking incredible, and stands up with all their best work, in my opinion. Not to mention it has one of their best songs yet, The Universe! So powerful, man.
It's amazing how much they've progressed since the first album, which is admittedly not too great (probably just in comparison to later perfection). It's good, but nothing like aforementioned later works.

i have to admit it's being months since i last heard it, i applauded that they wanted to take chances and use different things they haven't tried but history in rust seemed to me like...it lacked emotion? it has less drama i think it's what i mean, i'll have to listen to it again.

another album i felt that way was explosions in the sky's all of a sudden i miss everyone, i should listen to it again.

vulva 06.30.2007 01:33 AM

funny, I initially went away from the Megadeth boards since the people I talk to there just love post-rock and all kinds of extreme metal. I'm still pretty new to Sonic Youth in all honesty, so I come here... and I find myself talking about post-rock and extreme metal haha. Funny how that works.

by the way neurotic, darkthrone have a new song on their mini-site for FOAD. It sounds very crust-punk and generally awesome. You may want to check it out when ya get the chance

k-krack 06.30.2007 01:36 AM

I haven't heard anything other than How Strange, Innocence from Explosions, but that album is great. I'd like to check some more out, but as you can tell, I got a heaping plate already...

terminal pharmacy 06.30.2007 01:37 AM

thanks to norma j - you am i's hourly daily

Everyneurotic 06.30.2007 01:37 AM

i tried ordering the ep from peaceville but the fuckers don't ship to mexico.

oh well, at least i'm not spending more money.

we can talk about noise or new weird finland bands if you want to (by the way, i hope my friend didn't miss his plane or get sold as a slave, asshole most come back and bring me my circle cd!)

vulva 06.30.2007 01:39 AM

I'm new to the whole noise thing, save a few drone bands.

Everyneurotic 06.30.2007 01:42 AM

so what drone bands are you into?

k-krack 06.30.2007 01:42 AM

Duudes, I'm off. Nice talkin' to ya's! See you on Monday or Sunday night, I hope!

Everyneurotic 06.30.2007 01:46 AM

bye d00d