Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.20.2016 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

I haven't watched the video, btw.

you should its more plastic than amex card and the only one being remotely engaging in it is Rick Ruben and HE ASLEEP ON THE COUCH!

Severian 07.20.2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you should its more plastic than amex card and the only one being remotely engaging in it is Rick Ruben and HE ASLEEP ON THE COUCH!

Up SFAD, um... Are you hoping to make me feel embarrassed?

This is more of an updated response to your last post than a directly reply to the one above. I didn't think about it much at the time, but the whole "should you feel embarrassed?" thing felt a little off when I re-read it.

Let me clarify: I'm not embarrassed. Why should I be embarrassed? I guess the whole thing is stupid enough that I feel a little embarrassed for Kanye, but not much. Again, it has nothing to do with what I care about, which is the music this dude makes. That's truly the only thing I give a passing fuck about.

Just saying.

noisereductions 07.20.2016 07:30 PM

SFAD: Have you heard this Deftones cover of "Say It Ain't So"? OMG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzMeNuTAKCM

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.20.2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

yeah like 15 years ago... i think i might even have seen them perform it live

noisereductions 07.20.2016 09:26 PM

Hahaha stumbled upon it by accident. Been on a Weezer kick again cuz the new album is so good. Loved seeing Chi in that clip. So emotional.

Severian 07.20.2016 09:36 PM

Holy shit, I remember that cover! I haven't thought about it in years and years and years. Crazy feeling, that. When you essentially forget something ever existed and are then reminded that it was once important to you.

Severian 07.20.2016 09:39 PM

So, I read that pitchfork story on A$AP Rocky... I'm baffled by how stupid he is. Never expected him to be a great intellect, but ... Wow. Dumb as they come. Kind of disappointing.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.21.2016 01:30 AM

Quote:

just clicked your link

let me help you out with the version we were listening to what i thought was fifteen years ago and realized it was 19... whoa

Watch "Deftones - Say it ain`t so (Live @ Hollywood 1997)" on YouTube
Deftones - Say it ain`t so (Live @ Hollywood 1997): http://youtu.be/WHKf642FJYA

ahhh napster

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.21.2016 01:32 AM

Quote:

Hahaha stumbled upon it by accident. Been on a Weezer kick again cuz the new album is so good. Loved seeing Chi in that clip. So emotional.

yeah i noticed chi and was kind of emotional too for a second.. i remember saying what up to him outside a show a few months before he died

Severian 07.21.2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

just clicked your link

let me help you out with the version we were listening to what i thought was fifteen years ago and realized it was 19... whoa

Watch "Deftones - Say it ain`t so (Live @ Hollywood 1997)" on YouTube
Deftones - Say it ain`t so (Live @ Hollywood 1997): http://youtu.be/WHKf642FJYA

ahhh napster

Yes! That's the fucking one!

Nineteen years... Jesus Christ. :(

Severian 07.21.2016 08:54 AM

In 1997 things were just so different. Take Weezer for example. At the time, the possibilities seemed almost unlimited for that band. Pinkerton had an almost In Utero-like weirdness and vitriol to it. Hell, In Utero itself was younger than MBFTF is now. And Deftones' "Be Quiet and Drive" sounded like the freshest thing in rock music. Almost like a "Rearviewmirror" reduxe for boys who, by then, actually knew what driving was like.

I never thought I'd hear another Nine Inch Nails album in 1997. Now I've heard at least one too many for a lifetime.

In 1997, I still actively listened to Marilyn Manson, and would for another year. :eek:

Odelay had not yet seen its final single. Was still "new"!

A Thousand Leaves, NYC G&F, Murray Street, Sonic Nurse, Rather Ripped and the Eternal didn't even EXIST yet.

Dudes. Time, amirite?

Severian 07.21.2016 09:01 AM

I also saw Wu-Tang Clan live in '97 for the first time. Played with Rage Against the Machine. Before the show, I was more enamoured of the latter. By the time it was over, I was like:

louder 07.21.2016 09:22 AM

Ha. :p

I've been hearing good things about the Weezer album from this year. Maybe I should check it out.

louder 07.21.2016 09:26 AM

New Gucci is good! Some of the coolest Mike Will and Zaytoven production I've heard in a long time. They made sure to return the man who put them on the favor and give him the top of their game. Gucci himself also came through with some of the most interesting flows I've heard from him in the last few years.

noisereductions 07.21.2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Dudes. Time, amirite?

you are right. You are.

@louder: check that White Album for sure. I'll admit that I'm a bigger Weezer fan than most. And I like their "bad albums" plenty. But I feel like this one has a similar vibe to Pinkerton. Check out "Do You Wanna Get High" if you haven't heard it yet. That's a good starting point.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.21.2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

I never thought I'd hear another Nine Inch Nails album in 1997. Now I've heard at least one too many for a lifetime.

In 1997, I still actively listened to Marilyn Manson, and would for another year. :eek:

I was just listening to Antichrist Svperstar two nights ago, it led me to watch the Dead to the World video on youtube.

All in all you can be forgiven, Marilyn Manson between 1994-1998 was actually good, in fact, really good. I still think Antichrist Svperstar belongs in the 20th century pantheon of rock albums. It was layered. It was original. It was intelligent. It was trolling the fuck out of everyone. It was art. It was theater.

Marilyn Manson were just a bunch of theater nerds in high school and started a theater nerd band that caught attention at the perfect storm for their nerdcore approach. They reinvented themselves and their image as some kind of debauchery fueled misanthropes and yet I think the joke was on everyone (including most of their fans) who didn't realize it was all just some nerd stuff.

Really, Trent Reznor made Antichrist Svperstar. It is a Trent Reznor album more than anything, and when you listen to it in hindsight with that insight it becomes a better record.

The layers and textures of that record were like a darkside of Kid A. It was more brilliant than it gets credit for simply because of its popularity as well as the schlock rock aspects of the band's tour and publicity.

I think if we listen to that record on its own, not knowing anything about it, it would get more credibility. Also Portrait of an American Family, another Trent Reznor influenced piece, is another great metal album. It was before the band became subsumed in their own imaginations about themselves, they were just a straight forward metal band full of awkward theater nerds from northern Florida..

noisereductions 07.21.2016 01:42 PM

I didn't get Antichrist when it came out. Mostly for the reasons you reference. I thought it was gross really.

Years later I figured out the whole art thing and I went back and appreciated MM way more. So yeah. I didn't like him/them when I was an angsty teen. But I liked him/them when I was a grownup still stuck on the days of being an angsty teen.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.21.2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

I didn't get Antichrist when it came out. Mostly for the reasons you reference. I thought it was gross really.

Years later I figured out the whole art thing and I went back and appreciated MM way more. So yeah. I didn't like him/them when I was an angsty teen. But I liked him/them when I was a grownup still stuck on the days of being an angsty teen.

I am surprised you didn't like it as an angsty teen, i think they absolutely NAILED angsty teen vibe.

I realized about ten years ago it was more or less a masterpiece and I have no qualms admitting such. Listening to it recently only more so confirmed my feelings. Some albums, tonally and sound wise, just resonate with you. That record really resonates with me at a sonic level

noisereductions 07.21.2016 02:00 PM

honestly, I think MM scared me when "Sweet Dreams" came out. That shit just creeped me out haha. I wasn't into it. I'm not saying it wasn't effective. Just it didn't appeal to my sensibilities at the time.

Severian 07.21.2016 06:58 PM

Quote:

I was just listening to Antichrist Svperstar two nights ago, it led me to watch the Dead to the World video on youtube.

All in all you can be forgiven, Marilyn Manson between 1994-1998 was actually good, in fact, really good. I still think Antichrist Svperstar belongs in the 20th century pantheon of rock albums. It was layered. It was original. It was intelligent. It was trolling the fuck out of everyone. It was art. It was theater.

Marilyn Manson were just a bunch of theater nerds in high school and started a theater nerd band that caught attention at the perfect storm for their nerdcore approach. They reinvented themselves and their image as some kind of debauchery fueled misanthropes and yet I think the joke was on everyone (including most of their fans) who didn't realize it was all just some nerd stuff.

Really, Trent Reznor made Antichrist Svperstar. It is a Trent Reznor album more than anything, and when you listen to it in hindsight with that insight it becomes a better record.

The layers and textures of that record were like a darkside of Kid A. It was more brilliant than it gets credit for simply because of its popularity as well as the schlock rock aspects of the band's tour and publicity.

I think if we listen to that record on its own, not knowing anything about it, it would get more credibility. Also Portrait of an American Family, another Trent Reznor influenced piece, is another great metal album. It was before the band became subsumed in their own imaginations about themselves, they were just a straight forward metal band full of awkward theater nerds from northern Florida..

I kinda think you're right about it being a good record, but I disagree about *why* it's a good record. To me, it's really not a Trent project. I was into NIN long before I got into or even heard of Manson, and I know ACS was released on Nothing./interscope, and produced by Reznor, but it didn't contain the broad stokes or the minute details that make his best work classic.

I think ACS is good in the same way that I think some Guns N' Roses is good. It's just morherfucking dumbass rock, but it's heavy and effective. Yeah, there was all this pretense about it being a concept album, but it's not really. It's just a bunch of 3 chord bangers, bathed in some weird industrial and electronic shit. I haven't listened to it in forever, but the absurdly simple riff of "The Beautiful People" is still ringing in my ears. That means it did something right. Like Never Mind the Bollocks or the aforementioned Gn'R (who I really quite hate, but still him "Civil War" to myself every now and again.)

I respect your opinion on this one, and don't feel strongly about it enough to argue. You may be right. I think NIN definitely made some Kid A-esque music (for lack of a better term... It's all Aphex Twin aping), but I think the MM records were just Trent's excuse to make thrashy mindless music. Once he stopped being involved, MM suddenly sucked.

Anyway, whatever... Cryptorchid was a great song. Haven't heard it in 15 years but I'm sure it's still good. So is Angel with the spread wings. "Good" being kind of a malleable word in this case.