Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Who's up for a Secret Santa? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7814)

sonicl 11.07.2006 12:16 PM

Who's up for a Secret Santa?

I'm a big fan of Christmas, the present giving and all that, and, as the mixtape swaps are taking a bit of time off, I thought it might be fun to do a Secret Santa.

Each person who takes part would buy a present to the value of, say £7 / 10.50 Euro / US$ 13.50, without knowing who it's going to go to, send it to me with a small amount of money for onward postage, and I would then randomly distribute the presents among the people who have taken part (doing my best to make sure that I don't send anything back to the person who bought it in the first place). Ideally the presents would be sent to me before ATP so that I could get an American at ATP to help with the distribution.

The present could be, say, a CD or a book. The only things I would ask is that it's nothing illegal and that it isn't too big to fit through a letter box.

Whether this will actually happen will depend on whether there are enough takers.

Anyone interested?

Savage Clone 11.07.2006 12:56 PM

You're just going to keep them all, aren't you?

jon boy 11.07.2006 01:10 PM

secret santa could turn awful nasty judging how much some people dislike eachother here.

my first thought was to end a homemade t shirt.

fishmonkey 11.07.2006 01:13 PM

i'm game.

HaydenAsche 11.07.2006 01:28 PM

Wonderful idea. We should all get the names of who we are buying gifts for beforehand. Double-blind secret santa is lame.

Hip Priest 11.07.2006 01:39 PM

I should be OK to do this.

Hip Priest 11.07.2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
...I would then randomly distribute the presents among the people who have taken part (doing my best to make sure that I don't send anything back to the person who bought it in the first place)...

Before putting the gift inside the envelope, if each person wraps it and writes who it's from then mistakes should be easy to avoid.

!@#$%! 11.07.2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
hehe and my first thought was to send underwear.

hello kitty or smth ones. not bad stuff!

haha it was my thought too but used underwear, you know, the cardboard-hardened kind, ha ha ha.

may not be the worst one here but i am a runner up.

Пятхъдесят Шест 11.07.2006 03:50 PM

Why not?

Though I'm a terrible gift giver.

static-harmony 11.07.2006 04:28 PM

my gifts start around 50 dollars. nothing less, or a combined of fifty dollars. it all depends on my budget.

However I already have to many people on my list.

ni'k 11.07.2006 06:23 PM

im going to send someone a jar that when they open a mental illness flies out like a ghoul and afflicts them for life. its a pick and mix what you might get, date rape pyschosis? schizophrenia? or just some pussy shit like bi polar disorder. no matter, you will all be sent one anyway.

jon boy 11.07.2006 06:37 PM

i dont want yours nik.

ni'k 11.07.2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
i dont want yours nik.

well played sir

cryptowonderdruginvogue 11.08.2006 02:48 AM

13.50?!
thats hella cheap

but, im down

sonicl 11.08.2006 04:04 AM

I couldn't decide whether to make it a thing where people knew who their gift would go to or not, but I decided that to do that could end up a bit difficult on the basis that there's often quite a few drop-outs on the mix-tape thing. I wouldn't want to tell person A that he or she is buying for person B and person B that he's buying for person C, and then find that person A drops out and person B gives a gift but doesn't get one.

I also wanted to keep the amount spent reasonably low on the basis that not everyone is employed or well paid and I wouldn't want anyone to feel excluded because they feel that the suggested price was too high. I figured that the amount I've suggested would be enough for a paperback book, or a cheap CD / CD single / CDR, or the materials to make something for those among us who are creative. If there's a general feeling that the amount I've suggested is too low, then I'll change it to something a bit higher. And, of course, if anyone wanted to spend more than the suggested amount, I'm not going to stop them.

Anyone who definitely wants to take part, PM me. Once I've got ten names, I'll post that it's definitely going to go ahead and PM my address to the participants.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 11.08.2006 04:18 AM

down anyways

Everyneurotic 11.08.2006 10:41 AM

i want to send letter bombs.

jon boy 11.08.2006 10:43 AM

the fbi are watching you know.

Everyneurotic 11.08.2006 10:50 AM

they are already building a wall to prevent people like me to go to the u.s.

soniknirve 11.08.2006 05:23 PM

i might be interested. how much is shipping to england?