Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Beck's EVOL confirmed by Beck! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32038)

noisereductions 06.12.2009 11:12 AM

Beck's EVOL confirmed by Beck!

When this was first mentioned in the other thread, I was unsure if Thurston was just kidding. But now read this:

Beck covers Sonic Youth’s EVOL in its entirety

Saturday, February 28th, 2009
Last November, Beck and his band covered on stage, “Star Power.” This is a Sonic Youth song from their album EVOL. A few months later, it was announced that Beck was releasing a cover of “Green Light,” which is also from EVOL. That release was a single, the b-side being a Sonic Youth cover of “Pay No Mind” no less!
What does all this EVOLness mean? We learned today, thanks to our friends in Japan, that Beck has covered the whole album. He said this in an interview/article with a Japanese magazine. I’m told it will be part of some Sonic Youth box set. I know SY has been releasing Deluxe versions of their albums, so maybe EVOL Deluxe? Or maybe some greater box set project?
Regardless, this is super interesting and really a fun thing for Beck to have done!

Danny Himself 06.12.2009 11:15 AM

He seems to have a habit of doing this. He's re-recorded the VU And Nico album in its entirety too.

al shabbray 06.12.2009 11:24 AM

sounds really interesting. plus box set-mania in its whole

noisereductions 06.12.2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
He seems to have a habit of doing this. He's re-recorded the VU And Nico album in its entirety too.

Are you serious?? I'm a huuuuge and longtime Beck fan, but I had never heard of this... what do you know about it?

summer 06.12.2009 11:36 AM

Man, VU&Nico is my least favorite VU album, and yet I love Beck.. so.. if this is anywhere released on a bootleg could you please link me haha

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 06.12.2009 11:46 AM

That sounds awesome!

noisereductions 06.12.2009 11:47 AM

VU&N is an amazing album!

nancykitten 06.12.2009 12:12 PM

This could be fucking awesome.

noisereductions 06.12.2009 12:14 PM

sure could!

Bal 06.12.2009 12:14 PM

somehow im not really happy about this.
evol should not be re-recorded by anyone.
its perfect as it is.

nicfit 06.12.2009 12:16 PM

I think a re-recording/cover/however it's called does not diminish in any way the "value" of the original record.

noisereductions 06.12.2009 12:16 PM

Of course it's perfect. It's my favorite album of all time.

But I see nothing wrong with Beck re-imagining it in homage. I'm pretty sure it's his favorite album as well. And if the rest is anything ike his "Green Light," then it's going to be a really cool tribute.

noisereductions 06.12.2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
I think a re-recording/cover/however it's called does not diminish in any way the "value" of the original record.

this.

nancykitten 06.12.2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit

Exactly. It's not like Sonic Youth are rerecording it or anything. It won't take anything away from the original record.

I really loved the Green Light cover.

noisereductions 06.12.2009 12:21 PM

Yeah, "Green Light" was beautiful. I just feel like Beck is using EVOL to tap into something magic for himself. What I mean is, he was so inspired by SY when he was younger... and it's like he's playing the songs the way he heard them in his head when he was just a boy with an acoustic guitar (like when he recorded those early folk tapes like Banjo Story, Fresh Meat and Old Slabs, Western Harvest Field By Moonlight, One Foot In The Grave and Golden Feelings). It's like the sonic perfection of those 9 (or 10) songs has made him re-discover his own music.

Danny Himself 06.12.2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Are you serious?? I'm a huuuuge and longtime Beck fan, but I had never heard of this... what do you know about it?

When OFITG was re-released, some vinyl packs came with a Sunday Morning 7" of Beck covering the VU song with a band, one member of which was Nigel Godrich. Godrich later let slip that Beck had recorded the whole album..

noisereductions 06.12.2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
When OFITG was re-released, some vinyl packs came with a Sunday Morning 7" of Beck covering the VU song with a band, one member of which was Nigel Godrich. Godrich later let slip that Beck had recorded the whole album..

Wow. Wow. I had no idea about this.

Trasher02 06.12.2009 01:35 PM

Sounds cool. I didn't know he did the same thing with VU&N? I wanna hear both though.

Moshe 06.12.2009 01:44 PM

more hints about the boxset?

SHELFLIFE #21A: STICKERS

d~rek 06.12.2009 02:05 PM

i'm guessing the deth one was choosen