Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Has anyone whinged about the smoking ban yet? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14330)

Glice 06.29.2007 01:34 PM

Has anyone whinged about the smoking ban yet?
 
Because, if you ask me (and if you're not asking me, you're an idiot) it's fucking ridiculous. I, a better person than some twatty prick with a 4x4 and vegetarian shoes and FUCKING DE-CAFFEINATED GREEN FUCKING TEA, am made to stand outside like I'm some kind of lowlife when, in fact, it is those FUCKING vegetarian 'my lungs hurt' fucking cumrags who are taking over this country with their fucking organic hair braids and fucking organic faces who should not only be made to stand outside, but they should be made to exersize vigourously until their measly bodies collapse under the weight of too much fucking organic fucking salad.

A PINT IS BETTER WITH A FAG. SMOKING MAKES YOU COOL AND HARD AND A BETTER PERSON.

Quite what is wrong with this world I don't know, and I'm not going to find out, because I do my best thinking with a tab and some booze in a booze-hole. So, thanks government, I was going to save the world, but now I'm just going to sulk in the corner. Bastards.

Glice 06.29.2007 01:43 PM

Note Bene for non-Uk residents: England has a moratorium on smoking anywhere apart from your own home starting on Sunday.

Glossary.

Bastards: The sort of people who stop people doing things they enjoy.
Booze: Alcoholic beverage
Booze-hole: Establishment for the drinking of Alcoholic beverages
Cumrags: Cloth used to remove semen from the bellies, penises and hair of teenage boys; also, a less than favourable person.
Fag: Cigarette
Prick: A foolish or contemptuous person.
Tab: Cigarette
Twatty: Exhibiting the characteristics of a twat
Twat: Irritating or obsequious person.

screamingskull 06.29.2007 01:45 PM

but i want to smoke at clubs and gigsssssssssssssssssssssss

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww










was that whining enough for you??

Iain 06.29.2007 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Note Bene for non-Uk residents: England has a moratorium on smoking anywhere apart from your own home starting on Sunday.

Glossary.

Bastards: The sort of people who stop people doing things they enjoy.
Booze: Alcoholic beverage
Booze-hole: Establishment for the drinking of Alcoholic beverages
Cumrags: Cloth used to remove semen from the bellies, penises and hair of teenage boys; also, a less than favourable person.
Fag: Cigarette
Prick: A foolish or contemptuous person.
Tab: Cigarette
Twatty: Exhibiting the characteristics of a twat
Twat: Irritating or obsequious person.


Yeah but you can smoke in the street and that. And in parks whilst feeding the ducks. You can even blow smoke in the faces of small children who are flying their kites.

We've had the ban here in Wales for 2 months or so. I don't smoke but I'm not sure I like the ban.

MellySingsDoom 06.29.2007 01:49 PM

I quit the cigs 18 months ago, so am not so bothered myself, to be honest. I do have a lot of friends who smoke, and I do feel for them. I have a feeling that, big cities and towns aside, this new law will be roundly ignored. Also heard today that a group of people have submitted a legal challenge to this ruling.

Glice 06.29.2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Yeah but you can smoke in the street and that. And in parks whilst feeding the ducks. You can even blow smoke in the faces of small children who are flying their kites.

We've had the ban here in Wales for 2 months or so. I don't smoke but I'm not sure I like the ban.


BUT THE WIND WILL TAKE IT AWAY BEFORE IT CLINGS TO THEIR TINY LINELESS FACES. Your idea is poor. Poor idea.

floatingslowly 06.29.2007 01:52 PM

if this had happened here (it's almost that bad but not quite), I'd be crying along with you.....however it's NOT here so:

 

Trasher02 06.29.2007 01:53 PM

These smoking bans are ridiculous! You can't smoke anywhere these days!!

Glice 06.29.2007 01:57 PM

When you eat organic food and don't smoke:
 


When you smoke:
 


Which would you rather be, eh?

Пятхъдесят Шест 06.29.2007 02:02 PM

Omaha has enforced a smoking ban in the last few months too. Sort of.

They've made it illegal to smoke in bars* and restaurants, and have made it up the employers discretion on whether they will allow their employees to smoke on the company grounds. It is a bummer. All I ask is that I'm able to enjoy a smoke in a bar without having to go outside in the freezing cold/depressive heat.

*You can still smoke in bars that have keno.

jon boy 06.29.2007 02:03 PM

next they will try taking the very air from our lungs, racist tories.

Rob Instigator 06.29.2007 02:12 PM

Lots of cities in the USA have banned smoking indoors, and within 30 feet of doorways and entrances. I can understand banning it in government offices and such, but I have said it before and I will say it again that it is FASCIST and UNCONSTITUTIONAL for the government to dictate who a business owner can and should serve. It is the owner's prerogative!

Think about this. they claim that it is for the public good, but what they are doing is putting the desires of a minority over the desires of a majority, and forcing everyone to accept it.

a bar owner, or any proprietor, has the right o refuse service to anyone, and has the right to serve anyone he/she wishes. That means, constitutionally, that a bar owner can refuse service to non smokers and serve only smokers IF HE SO DESIRED. By federal law, and local and state law now, that proprietor's rights have been taken away. he is forced to serve who he is told to serve.

If you do not like ducks, do not go to a duck pond. You cannot ask for the ducks to be removed from the pond so you can ejoy the pond. If you do not liek smoke, DON'T GO TO BARS! It is a simple as that.

Like Chris Rock said, "first they make sure you cannot smoke in bars, what next? are they gonna outlaw drinking and talking too?"

It is a fucking precedent setter I think, which will come back to bite us all in the ass. if they can do this "for the public good" then they will use it as an example to get rid of anything else they deem not for the "public good", which could be anything from skin mags, to candy, to extreme sports, to watching TV

fuck this makes me so mad.

Luckily here in Hosuton most abr owners have told the city to FUCK OFF (because it is their RIGHT) and since there are only like 10 inspectors in a city with over 5000 restaurants and bars, fuck em right?

the ikara cult 06.29.2007 02:16 PM

Smokers, listen. The ban gives you the easiest opener ever! "Aint this smoking band stupid?" "yeah i know what you mean" "My names " x " by the way

Trasher02 06.29.2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Lots of cities in the USA have banned smoking indoors, and within 30 feet of doorways and entrances. I can understand banning it in government offices and such, but I have said it before and I will say it again that it is FASCIST and UNCONSTITUTIONAL for the government to dictate who a business owner can and should serve. It is the owner's prerogative!

Think about this. they claim that it is for the public good, but what they are doing is putting the desires of a minority over the desires of a majority, and forcing everyone to accept it.

a bar owner, or any proprietor, has the right o refuse service to anyone, and has the right to serve anyone he/she wishes. That means, constitutionally, that a bar owner can refuse service to non smokers and serve only smokers IF HE SO DESIRED. By federal law, and local and state law now, that proprietor's rights have been taken away. he is forced to serve who he is told to serve.

If you do not like ducks, do not go to a duck pond. You cannot ask for the ducks to be removed from the pond so you can ejoy the pond. If you do not liek smoke, DON'T GO TO BARS! It is a simple as that.

Like Chris Rock said, "first they make sure you cannot smoke in bars, what next? are they gonna outlaw drinking and talking too?"

It is a fucking precedent setter I think, which will come back to bite us all in the ass. if they can do this "for the public good" then they will use it as an example to get rid of anything else they deem not for the "public good", which could be anything from skin mags, to candy, to extreme sports, to watching TV

fuck this makes me so mad.

Luckily here in Hosuton most abr owners have told the city to FUCK OFF (because it is their RIGHT) and since there are only like 10 inspectors in a city with over 5000 restaurants and bars, fuck em right?

Nicely said.

Savage Clone 06.29.2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Lots of cities in the USA have banned smoking indoors, and within 30 feet of doorways and entrances. I can understand banning it in government offices and such, but I have said it before and I will say it again that it is FASCIST and UNCONSTITUTIONAL for the government to dictate who a business owner can and should serve. It is the owner's prerogative!


I'll get right in line with you the day that Motorhead (or whoever else I want to see) plays two shows in every town they stop at, with one at a smoking venue and one at a nonsmoking venue. There is no fucking alternative "choice" with regard to one-night-only Rock Bar events like that, so in that case I tell the smokers straight up:

Welcome to my world, fuckers. I lived with your disgusting, invasive bullshit for two decades and if I can suffer for my fandom by attending shows where I was putting up with itchy eyes and a sore throat and smelly clothes and hair, you guys can all go ahead and suffer for your fandom by not smoking for two lousy hours, or going outside if you have to.

I have zero sympathy for "smokers' rights" in this regard. Get bent.

In the case of neighborhood watering holes with no live music or specific events, I say go ahead and smoke, because I don't choose to hang out in those kinds of places and they are definitely easily avoided.

nature scene 06.29.2007 03:05 PM

I complained about it here in the US - a lot - but I'm a libertarian.

I'm a non-smoker and I hate smoky bars. But dammit, if a bar or restaurant wants to allow smoking, it should be their choice, not the government's. If I don't like smoky bars, I don't go. If it's a concert I really want to see, I deal with it.

Some venues could have some kind of middle ground - like not allowing smoking in the main area, but having a smoker's lounge that's still close enough to hear the music so when those fiends need their fix they can do it in peace without imposing on others.

In the end though, governments need to back the fuck off and let private establishments choose whether or not they allow smoking.

I'm glad to see some people agreeing with my viewpoint. I think this came up once before on the board and the opinion was overwhelmingly in favor of the bans.

you're all sheep.

Savage Clone 06.29.2007 03:06 PM

Movie theaters are private establishments and no one says shit about the fact that you can't smoke at movies anymore.

nature scene 06.29.2007 03:10 PM

Some people want movies that depict people smoking to be rated for adults - so all movies with anyone smoking would be rated R.

These people need a new cause. There are far more toxic things in this world than cigarette smoke and second hand smoke.

Rob Instigator 06.29.2007 03:11 PM

sex drugs and rock n roll!!!!

I do not smoke.

I LIKE smoke free shows. The roots gave one recently. cool stuff.

I am talking about BARS. people who go to a bar to drink liquid poison are concerned about caseous poison? stupid!

Rob Instigator 06.29.2007 03:12 PM

the ban on smoking in movie theatres was not a bout the smoke but about fire harzards in a very very flammable enclosed space.
same with banning smoking on planes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content 2006 Sonic Youth