Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Happy Birthday Fyodor Dostoevsky (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7596)

Alex's Trip 10.30.2006 09:21 AM

Happy Birthday Fyodor Dostoevsky

October 30th, 1821.

Yeah. I'm not a big fan yet. I bought a "Barns and Noble Classic" book that has The Double, Notes From the Underground, and some other stories in the summer. I didn't get to read any of it though, and just last night I read 'The Dreams of a Ridiculous Man' which was great. I read the little bio as well, and found that his birthday today.

So, Happy Birthday Fyodor.

king_buzzo 10.30.2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
October 30th, 1821.

yes, cause thats the year we live in

Alex's Trip 10.30.2006 09:24 AM

Yup.

king_buzzo 10.30.2006 09:28 AM

:cool:

atari 2600 10.30.2006 09:30 AM

Just about all the editors and /or translators of his novels recount his near-execution by Czar Nicholas II in the introduction. You may have read that too.

king_buzzo 10.30.2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Czar .

tsar

Alex's Trip 10.30.2006 09:32 AM

Quote:

Just about all the editors and /or translators of his novels recount his near-execution by Czar Nicholas II in the introduction. You may have read that too.

I was once arrested on his birthday.

Yeah. 8 months in Solitary confinment before they reached a sentence, too. That is insane.

atari 2600 10.30.2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
yes, cause thats the year we live in

king_buzzo, Dostoyevsky is important even today because both before and after his release from exile in Siberian labor camp, he settled in St. Petersburg. Why does this matter? St. Petersburg was the first major city in Russia to experiment with democracy and free enterprise under Czarist Russia. Russia was going through tremendous growing pangs during his lifetime, with many leaders and intellectuals having differing opinions. Dostoyevesky's fiction deals with all the existential, societal and political issues of a free society in an archetypal way, before modern life has endlessly jumbled and confused these matters and his characters often embody the varied ideological points of view concerning the proper course for the future of Russia.

king_buzzo 10.30.2006 09:41 AM

we never studied this! we were just going through tsarist russia in history, bitch didnt even mention this

HaydenAsche 10.30.2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

king_buzzo, Dostoyevsky is important even today because after his release from exile in Siberian labor camp, he settled in St. Petersburg. Why does this matter? St. Petersburg was the first major city in Russia to experiment with democracy and free enterprise under Czarist Russia. Russia was going through tremendous growing pangs during his lifetime, with many leaders and intellectuals having differing opinions. Dostoyevesky's fiction deals with all the existential issues of a free society in an archetypal way, before modern life has endlessly jumbled and confused these matters and his characters often embody the varied ideological points of view concerning the proper course for the future of Russia.

Don't even consider his posts to be words. He's just sitting his ass on the keyboard.

atari 2600 10.30.2006 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Yeah. 8 months in Solitary confinment before they reached a sentence, too. That is insane.

Memoirs from the House of the Dead is semi-autobiographical and contains many other details of his hellish confinement.

Alex's Trip 10.30.2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

He was born on November 11, 1821. I knew something didn't seem right about that.

king_buzzo, Dostoyevsky is important even today because after his release from exile in Siberian labor camp, he settled in St. Petersburg. Why does this matter? St. Petersburg was the first major city in Russia to experiment with democracy and free enterprise under Czarist Russia. Russia was going through tremendous growing pangs during his lifetime, with many leaders and intellectuals having differing opinions. Dostoyevesky's fiction deals with all the existential issues of a free society in an archetypal way, before modern life has endlessly jumbled and confused these matters and his characters often embody the varied ideological points of view concerning the proper course for the future of Russia.

I don't think you can trust Wikipedia on that one because it can be changed by anyone. And Fydodor's Website even says it is his birthday today.

king_buzzo 10.30.2006 09:51 AM

atari 2600 10.30.2006 09:52 AM

///

atari 2600 10.30.2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
tsar

I was considering using that spelling. I was also considering using the "Dostoevsky" spelling. I'm aware of these spellings, It's just that I mindfully choose not to use them.

To me, it's not inaccurate to use the anglicized spellings "Czar" and "Dostoyevsky." Dostoevsky is becoming the common spelling nowadays, however, I suppose out of respect for the man.

Unless you're some kind of fucking literary scholar, it's just pretentious to use "Tsar." You are a Westerner, right?

static-harmony 10.30.2006 10:13 AM

As long as I understand the name I am fine.
Wow Have a good roll in your grave Dotoyevsky.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 10.30.2006 10:13 AM

Woohoo, my favorite novelist of all time.

atari 2600 10.30.2006 10:18 AM

Mine as well. No one even touches him.

static-harmony 10.30.2006 10:24 AM

As an author I still haven't figured out who is the best in my opinion, but the ones that come up are Albert Camus and Franz Kafka.

jon boy 10.30.2006 10:41 AM

one of my favourite authors ever. happy birthday.