Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Dead C Reveal Rare U.S. Tour, New Album, Reissues (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23699)

Moshe 07.23.2008 02:34 PM

The Dead C Reveal Rare U.S. Tour, New Album, Reissues

The Dead C Reveal Rare U.S. Tour, New Album, Reissues

...and tour-only 12"!

Fun fact about the Dead Sea: it has a lot of salt and stuff.

Fun fact about the Dead C: the Earth has circled the Sun some five times since the long-running experimental New Zealand combo last toured the U.S., and 13 times since their most recent visit to the East Coast.

That all changes this October, as the Dead C have announced a brief Stateside visit, kicking off in Philly on the 12th and wrapping just a few days later in the Chi. All kinds of noiseniks and other weirdos are coming out of the woodwork to support the Dead C on this trek, including Thurston Moore's Northampton Wools project, Wolf Eyes, Six Organs of Admittance, and Sightings.

So what's the occasion for this rare overseas voyage? Why, a new Dead C record, naturally. Secret Earth packs in four presumably long tracks and arrives October 14 on CD and vinyl thanks to Ba Da Bing.

But that's not all! Ba Da Bing is also teaming with Jagjaguwar to reissue on vinyl a pair of Dead C classics originally released by New Zealand's legendary Flying Nun label (the Clean, the Chills, the Bats, the Verlaines, etc). Eusa Kills and DR503 are due to hit shelves in mid-fall in double-LP form, and each packs in the extras. The former boasts a pair of cuts from the "Helen Said This" 12", while the latter crams in six jams off the The Sun Stabbed EP.

But wait, there's more! When the Dead C barnstorm the States this fall, they'll have with them a new, limited edition, tour-only 12". Take that, giant pool of brackish water.

Secret Earth:

01 Mansions
02 Stations
03 Plains
04 Waves

DR503 (vinyl reissue):

01 Max Harris
02 Speed Kills
03 The Wheel
04 Three Years
05 Mutterline
06 Country
07 I Love This
08 Polio
09 Angel *
10 Crazy I Know *
11 Fire *
12 Bad Politics *
13 Sun Stabbed *
14 Three Years *

Eusa Kills (vinyl reissue):

01 Scary Nest
02 Call Back Your Dogs
03 Alien to Be
04 Phantom Power
05 Now I Fall
06 I Was Here
07 Children
08 Bumtoe
09 Glasshole Pit
10 Maggot
11 Envelopment
12 Helen Said This *
13 Bury (Refutaio Omnium Haeresium) *

* bonus track

C-span:

10-12 Philadelphia, PA - Johnny Brenda's #
10-13 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom ^
10-16 San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall %
10-19 Chicago, IL - Empty Bottle $

# with Blues Control, Pink Reason
^ with Northampton Wools, Sightings
% with Six Organs of Admittance
$ with Wolf Eyes

batreleaser 07.23.2008 04:07 PM

holy shit, what a fucking tour. and of course theyre not going anywhere near me, and i get gypped out of seeing another one of my favorite bands.

MellySingsDoom 07.23.2008 06:47 PM

The Dead C totally kill live (saw them twice in December 2006). Go and check them out, US boardies - you won't be disappointed.

tesla69 07.23.2008 07:18 PM

knitting factory lost out on that bidding.

pokkeherrie 07.23.2008 07:40 PM

Hurray, new album coming up... The Dead C are not to be missed live if you ever have the rare chance of seeing them. I saw that same two shows that Melly did.

Now how about a reissue of Harsh 70's Reality as well? The 2LP version with the extra tracks I mean.

Toilet & Bowels 07.23.2008 07:52 PM

how about reissues of clyma est mort, new electric music, or world peace hope? having said that dr503c is my favourite record by them, but i think those bonus tracks are all on the version i have.

i saw those same two shows and they were beyond incredible.

MellySingsDoom 07.23.2008 07:53 PM

T&B - do you remember the bouncers at ATP getting really pissed off? Heh heh heh.

Iain 07.24.2008 04:18 AM

Haha...the bouncers at ATP were getting pissed of at pretty much everything though.

Great news about the reissues and new album. The last one was pretty great I thought.

blunderbuss 07.24.2008 04:35 AM

Oh God, I was I was a New Yorker. I only saw Dead C at ATP in 2006, and they were one of the handful of things there that left me totally gobsmacked.

So, yeah, like Mellysingsdoom says at the top.

Toilet & Bowels 07.24.2008 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
T&B - do you remember the bouncers at ATP getting really pissed off? Heh heh heh.

i missed that

o o o 07.24.2008 07:27 AM

The Dead C were the highlight of ATP NBC 2006 for me. I would really love to see them again.

It's strange to see many people here agreeing on the brilliance of that set, because at the time, the people I talked to after the concert were not that enthusiastic. Of course, I might have just been talking to the wrong people - I realise their music is not necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

toxic johnny 07.25.2008 01:52 AM

Jesus... I can't wait for these re-issues and the new album.

You Stateside freaks are lucky, lucky people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Now how about a reissue of Harsh 70's Reality as well? The 2LP version with the extra tracks I mean.

Seconded

Toilet & Bowels 07.25.2008 04:20 AM

the track that is on the LP version of Harsh &0s Reality that isn't on the CD is this pretty forgetable musique concrete type thing.

pantophobia 07.25.2008 06:34 AM

who did they play opposite of at ATP 06? cause i can't recall who i saw instead and making me guilty about

MellySingsDoom 07.25.2008 06:36 AM

I can't remember, pantophobia. There were 2 other groups, neither of which I was upset to miss out on.

MellySingsDoom 07.25.2008 06:44 AM

I remember deerhoof playing on the Saturday (after Melvins??).

pantophobia 07.25.2008 06:49 AM

ok that sounds about right, choose them cause i had passed on deehoof on previous other times (or in atp 04 case, missed them due to cab lines), and if was charalambides, it was good if for nothing else talking to tom carter, and watching christina admonish the crowd

i wish they'd add a dc date, i hate driving up to philly for one show

Toilet & Bowels 07.25.2008 06:57 AM

i think it was fursaxa & prurient

pantophobia 07.25.2008 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i think it was fursaxa & prurient

if that was the case then i don't remember where i was:(

blunderbuss 07.25.2008 07:11 AM

Charalambides headlined downstairs while SY were onstage, so I guess that they could also have been playing at the same time as Dead C.