Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth Lightning Bolt Collaboration (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=435)

dazedcola 03.30.2006 02:52 PM

Sonic Youth Lightning Bolt Collaboration

I was surfing soulseek the other day and came across three tracks that show sonic youth and lightning bolt playing together.

The tracklist is:
Disconnection Notice
Song 2
White Cross/ 13 Monsters

Does anybody have any background info on this ? When did these performances happen and under what circumstances ?

How many of you have heard of these tracks ?

noisemachine 03.30.2006 10:19 PM

can you share these files with us? would love to hear it!

chabib 03.30.2006 11:57 PM

it's one of those things at lightning bolt gigs where for a while, they'd start playing while the band preceeding them was finishing their last song. they'd jam a little and then the bolt would destroy.

marleypumpkin 03.30.2006 11:59 PM

chabib:
Interesting fact. You don't see that often in shows of any kind.

amerikangod 03.31.2006 01:00 AM

dazedcola, I was at one of those shows. It was easily one of the best shows of my life. I wrote a lengthy review of the show on the old board, and as such it's long lost.

Lightning Bolt toured with Sonic Youth in 2002. The show I saw was in November of that year, at Irving Plaza in New York. That night the line-up was Black Dice, Sonic Youth, and Lightning Bolt (the night before featured Liars in place of Black Dice.) Sonic Youth played for nearly two hours, and Lightning Bolt went on after them.

While Sonic Youth were bringing their encore to a close (with a great version of "Inhuman"), Lightning Bolt began playing "Ride the Sky" from the floor. Needless to say, it was fucking insane. The extended outro to "Inhuman" was made to blend with the extended intro to "Ride the Sky".) The two bands played together for anywhere from five to ten minutes. It was hard to judge the passing of time during such a righteous moment. Even after the guitars faded, Steve Shelley kept the rhythm going.

Eventually everyone migrated over to the Brians. This was before 'Wonderful Rainbow' was released, so they were tinkering with quite a bit of that material in the show (a version of "Dracula Mountain" featured a one to two minute long Chippendale humming solo.) Aside from that, there were a lot of 'Ride the Skies' songs. I remember hearing "Assassins" for the first time and nearly peeing my pants. Chippendale jumped off of his seat and put his head and fists (Mario Brothers style) through the overhang, causing pieces of ceiling paneling to fall on us.

I recall running home that night. From the venue to the train, and from the train to my home. Without a jacket. The adrenaline was undeniable. And back then I still didn't wear ear plugs to Lightning Bolt gigs (they've toned the volume down a bit nowadays, I believe), so my ears hummed for days.

As far as the tracks go, I've downloaded several different versions from Soulseek, although none seem to actually feauture Lightning Bolt for more than a few seconds, if at all. Are your versions the genuine article? I think those particular tracks that you listed were recorded in Providence, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: I said "That night the line-up was Black Dice, Sonic Youth, and Lightning Bolt (the night before featured Liars in place of Black Dice.)" I meant to say that the night before featured Liars in place of Lightning Bolt.

A Thousand Threads 03.31.2006 01:32 AM

that sounds insane

i want to hear this.

A Thousand Threads 03.31.2006 01:43 AM

upps

double Post
sorry

bazthemerciless 03.31.2006 08:20 AM

Yeah this happened at ATP in 04 when SY curated the Sat. Absolutely stunning. It took most people (me included) 10 mins to work out what was going on...

pokkeherrie 03.31.2006 08:48 AM

well, they didn't really do that at atp.. much to my disappointment.
during the last song (mariah carey and the arhur doyle handcream) kim even invited them to start playing, mentioning their name, but they waited until sy were completely finished.

lightning bolt did do it the second time i saw them though, with monno, first drumming along with their last song and then completely taking over.

i guess the novelty ot the trick wears off after some time though.

nomadicfollower 03.31.2006 05:24 PM

I want to hear it! What are you waiting for dazedcola. Share! Share!

amerikangod 03.31.2006 11:39 PM

pokkeherrie, yeah, somewhere along the way Lightning Bolt stopped doing that. Another band that I saw them overlap with was Wolf Eyes. I have to say, that was a slightly different situation. One of the dudes from Wolf Eyes actually looked kind of jealous when the entire audience started swarming the drum kit, clearly more enthusiastic about Lightning Bolt.

Another notable collaboration of sorts occurred last summer at the First Unitarian Church show in Philadelphia. Lightning Bolt were playing with Afrirampo that night. It was insanely hot. Fog formed from the sweat, steam was rising off of everything, people were playing slip and slide on the floor using the collective moisture, the pools of sweat were mixing with bodily filth and shoe-dirt to form mud... Chippendale nearly got heat stroke from drumming in the middle of all of that. At one point he had to get up and get out of the crowd. Brian Gibson kept playing, and Oni and Pika from Afrirampo quickly stepped in and started drumming in his place. He was gone for nearly fifteen minutes, so they took over for quite a while. Eventually they handed drum sticks out to those of us close to the kit, and several audience members began drumming too. At this point Gibson was just noodling.

I have some pictures of it (not my own), if anyone's interested.

dazedcola 04.01.2006 11:25 AM

Well I can't seem to upload the tracks but if you want them just find me on soulseek, same username and they'll be in my files.

Everyneurotic 04.01.2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerikangod
...Another notable collaboration of sorts occurred last summer at the First Unitarian Church show in Philadelphia. Lightning Bolt were playing with Afrirampo that night...

dude, don't remind me of that!!!! two of my favorite bands playing, i had the chance to see them and I MISSED IT!!!!!

i'm still bummed out about that one

PAULYBEE2656 04.01.2006 04:29 PM

sounds really cool. like the kinda respect lb had for the youth, didnt play til they finished! gonna see lb in dublin next month, cant wait!

dazedcola 04.02.2006 12:55 PM

ok,here's two of the songs

sonic youth w/lightning bolt - white cross 13 monsters

http://download.yousendit.com/269DB301417326F4

sonic youth w/lightning bolt- song 2

http://download.yousendit.com/31907BDF682C55E4

I also found out the show took place in Providence on 11/23/02

nomadicfollower 04.02.2006 02:16 PM

Thanks dazedcola.

val-holla-ing 04.02.2006 03:30 PM

holy cow! thanks dazedcola!

greenlight 04.03.2006 02:39 PM

fucking hell! how cool does it sound! thanks for the tracks!

i want to see lb in dublin as well...can't wait, but i have to buy a ticket 2morrow before they will sold out, coz now i have a feeling they'll be gone soon.

Toxa 04.03.2006 02:42 PM

can you share 3rd track - disconnection notice? Will be cool :D

dazedcola 04.04.2006 11:12 PM

here's the last track, it took a while to upload cause its so big.

sonic youth w/ lightning bolt- disconnection notice
http://download.yousendit.com/253598797487BD82