Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A Thousand Leaves cassette? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=54952)

Chris Lawrence 07.25.2011 01:47 AM

A Thousand Leaves cassette?

Does anyone have an actual Geffen version?

This Malaysian version moves "Snare, Girl" to the end of side 1, I assume. Then there's this Polish version which appears to retain the original track order but also credits both Sony Youth and Sonic Yorth. Iee Ransloo also makes an appearance!

Basically I'm just curious if the 'official' cassette release reconfigured the track order at all.

skipvacuum 07.25.2011 02:13 PM

well Chris...was hoping to solve another "small mystery"...saw yr post right as i was leaving for work....got off several hours early so i thought i'd dig though my sonic youth stuff to see what the tracklisting is....i could have sworn i have it...but cannot locate it.....have all of em on casette to washing machine...and psychic hearts....anyway...like you probably did...i searched the internet and found a Thai version of it with this tracklisting etc

1.Contre le Sexisme
2.Sunday
3.Female Mechanic Now on Duty
4.Wildflower Soul
5.Hoarfrost
6.French Tickler
7.Hits of Sunshine (For Allen Ginsberg)
8.Karen Koltrane
9.The Ineffable Me
10.Snare, Girl
11.Heather Angel

Catalog No: GEC-25203
Label & Year: 1998/Geffen Records/Universal Music
Condition: New/Sealed

let us know if you figure it out Chris

jennthebenn 07.25.2011 03:52 PM

I still regret that no one offered to pay for a copy of "No Setlist" with a
cassette of "A Thousand Leaves" in lieu of money.

RanaldoNecro 07.25.2011 11:25 PM

Chris, I am pretty sure at one time I sent you a scan of the Korean version.

I know I have that and NYC Flowers and Ghosts on cassette. If you PM me in two weeks I will dig it out of storage and scan it.

Chris Lawrence 07.26.2011 02:35 AM

Thank you! It looks like the Polish cassette of NYC Ghosts has the LP tracklist - cool!! never noticed that...

SonicBebs 07.26.2011 04:32 PM

what, so the running order is different on different formats?

E. Noisefield 07.26.2011 05:22 PM

I have it on cassette but it's in storage with all the other shit that I can't take with me every time I move. I've actually had two copies, one is Korean I believe, and the other I don't remember, cause it's been years since I've even seen it.

I don't recall any difference in duration or order, but don't take my word for it.

Chris Lawrence 07.27.2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
what, so the running order is different on different formats?

Sometimes it's necessary to rearrange tracks to balance out a side-based format. I imagine the CD running order would be considered 'canon', but "NYC Ghosts", "SYR4", and "Murray Street" all had altered track orders for the vinyl versions.

Mortte Jousimo 07.28.2011 11:24 AM

In the seventies it was quite typical that in LP and cassette was different running orders. I have had cassette versions from Black Sabbath Master of Reality and Vol.4, Ten Years After a Space in time and Deep Purple Machine Head. They all got at least little differences, in Master Of Reality there is Orchid on the end of side a, but in LP itīs the first on side B, the running order is the same.

E. Noisefield 07.28.2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
In the seventies it was quite typical that in LP and cassette was different running orders. I have had cassette versions from Black Sabbath Master of Reality and Vol.4, Ten Years After a Space in time and Deep Purple Machine Head. They all got at least little differences, in Master Of Reality there is Orchid on the end of side a, but in LP itīs the first on side B, the running order is the same.

In the seventies it was quite typical that cassettes didn't exist. ;)

oops... 8-tracks. Nevermind.

ann ashtray 07.29.2011 05:32 AM

Iee Ransloo is my guitar hero.