Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth 7.31.10 Brooklyn, NY Set List (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40724)

jnic 07.31.2010 11:44 PM

Sonic Youth 7.31.10 Brooklyn, NY Set List

Candle
Brother James
Catholic Block
Stereo Sanctity
Hey Joni
Sprawl>
Cross The Breeze
The Wonder>
Hyperstation
White Cross
Mote
Shaking Hell

Encore: Shadow of a Doubt
Silver Rocket
Express way to your Skull

http://twitpic.com/2aiwlk

What a great show!
The 4 pc classic lineup was back in rare form tonight, tighter than ever!!

Jeremy 08.01.2010 02:26 AM

That's a pretty sweet set list I think. Weird how they can't play any Eternal songs without Mark... I wonder if Mark will play with them at Matador at 21? I mean, he's playing with Pavement that same weekend, it might be possible?

~Jeremy~

Andrés 08.01.2010 03:59 PM

Excellent setlist indeed!

andrei 08.02.2010 12:26 AM

they should include some newer songs into their setlists. I'm kinda bored with these songs...

jnic 08.02.2010 11:05 AM

There was nothing boring about this show.

radarmaker 08.02.2010 12:14 PM

Was it 80's night or something?

Rob Instigator 08.02.2010 04:51 PM

http://fuppets.blogspot.com/2010/08/...till-rule.html

got a clip of SY playing Silver Rocket off of another news site.

fucking AWESOME SKRONK in the middle.

wish I was there fellas.

logcabinrecluse 08.03.2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirttail
I kind of wish they'd give the Daydream songs a rest. Let's hear more from Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves, damn it!

i fully support this.

greenlight 08.03.2010 04:26 PM

wow!

why them "best of" gigs haven't been shared yet? this and spanish one! typical huh?

Jeremy 08.03.2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirttail
I kind of wish they'd give the Daydream songs a rest. Let's hear more from Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves, damn it!

I've come to realize this will probably never happen unfortunately, SY have a very definite collection of songs that they swap around depending on their new record.

So though we might not get any WM or ATL songs anytime soon (Which sucks), we also aren't likely to see any EJSTANS or NYCG&F surprises in the set. I consider it an equal trade-off.

~Jeremy~

jennthebenn 08.03.2010 05:11 PM

The day I get bored of "Cross the Breeze" live is the day I should just
cock back and squeeze.

jnic 08.03.2010 05:26 PM

I agree, I could never get bored of Cross The Breeze.

I will say, having seen the Daydream Nation show at McCarrenn Pool, then more DN songs at Battery Park, and again @ Prospect Park, I STILL love that album, I guess I always will.

Now if they did Washing Machine from beg. to end, then I'd be really blown away by this band. September 26th is the 15 anniversary of the release of WM, they should be celebrating that!

Chris Lawrence 08.04.2010 01:05 AM

I doubt they think that at all. They've always demonstrated that they want to focus on new material and moving forward as often as possible -- their standard touring set list always weighs extremely heavily on new material, plus a selection of 'classics' -- there seems to be a group of 'classics' that they've settled into over the past decade or more, probably because they're quick and easy crowd-pleasers, and then a group of more obscure 'classics' that are still going to please the crowd. Maybe those are just the ones they like to play. It's not typical for them to dedicate a lot of time to relearning old songs.

Unless, of course, they're paid a handsome sum to relearn an entire 'classic' LP and tour it in its entirety -- and honestly, if they're going to spend the time relearning an album's worth of songs, which arguably many people feel is their finest group of songs (probably not anyone in this thread, but the average SY concert-goer, perhaps), it certainly makes sense for their favorites from that group of songs to continue filling the 'old material' gaps in their touring set lists for the next few years...

I feel like I just typed a whole lot and said nothing. (What else is new?)

jnic 09.24.2010 07:06 PM

Has anyone found a recording of this show yet, anyone????

This was my favorite SY show I've seen out of the about 20 I've seen here in NYC since '98.

kulicuu 10.01.2010 02:09 PM

i wanted to ask the same thing: soundboard recording available? seems like it would be somewhere at some time.

jnic 10.21.2010 12:22 PM

Has a recording of this perfect, incredibly tight, majestic show surfaced any where??? Please!!!!

stu666 10.21.2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnic
Has a recording of this perfect, incredibly tight, majestic show surfaced any where??? Please!!!!

doesn't look like it but if i come across one i will try to remember to post in this thread for you.

jnic 10.28.2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
doesn't look like it but if i come across one i will try to remember to post in this thread for you.

Thx for looking out. I still can't believe no one recorded this show. It really was epic that night. So fuck'in unbelievably tight, right in the pocket.

jnic 11.29.2010 11:51 PM

Has Anyone Been Able To Find A Recording Of This Show?
Please!
This has been my favorite SY show in the 12+ years I've been seeing them.