Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Finds - Tokyo, Japan (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32045)

hiland 06.12.2009 02:02 PM

Sonic Finds - Tokyo, Japan

soo.....i just got back a few days ago from visiting Tokyo, Japan for the first time. I cannot recommend it enough if you haven't been there.. I thought i'd share a few of the things I found there....

How To Make A Stone Knife - CD
I had never heard of this before. This thing was some mix cd from Yoshimi & Yukinori Maeda for an art show called "magic village COSMIC WONDER" it came out on Purple Books / MU. I found it at MORI art museum. I also added it to discogs here....
Tracklisting is as follows.....

1 Kim Gordon Water (3:29) 2 Kim Gordon Water II (1:55) 3 Animal Collective Visiting Friends (12:38) 4 Meditations Magic Village (1:06) 5 Yoshimi Jasmine (15:39) 6 Lemuria Light (5:12) 7 Soft Circle Feel The Light (5:31) 8 Lemuria Light II (10:28) 9 Kim Gordon / Meditations Raft/Magic Village (16:02)

Clothes shopping here is next to impossible if you are a bigger guy like me.... so while I didn't buy any of these shirts...I was sure to get quick pictures of them....most cost around $40 each...

there was a whole line of shirts from photographer Ricky Powell. Others had Beastie Boys etc.... I found these in the Harajuku district.

how sick are all these? right??? more to come....

al shabbray 06.12.2009 02:04 PM

great shirts!
would instantly buy some if I got the money for them...

hiland 06.12.2009 02:08 PM

so i bought one of these BECK 1/6 size Rock T-Shirts.... in the hopes of getting this....

unfortunately I got the RANCID one... bummer. it should be noted though that these are for some anime show called BECK and have nothing to do (that i know of ) with the musician.

hiland 06.12.2009 02:15 PM

I was on the hunt for the gallery that represents Mimiyo Tomozawa.. who did the Jim O'Rourke album covers. But that last place I could find that repp'ed her seemed to have closed. I was totally bummed out... until we went to the broadway district and I saw these two signs....

these totally made me happy so see something from the artist.. one of these stores had 3 Tomozawa manga books so i picked those up also....

washer 06.12.2009 02:16 PM

That white shirt is great.

jennthebenn 06.12.2009 02:27 PM

Excellent...I'll be going to Tokyo next year, most likely.

e_s_d 06.13.2009 05:40 AM

Yes, Tokyo is an amazing city, and there are so many brilliant music stores... Even the mainstream-ish ones always have some great stuff in stock.
And the live music scene is the best...
I went there for a few months last year to work on a documentary focusing on the noise/exp/improv scene.
If anyone's in Paris on June 27th, the premiere is happening at La Maison de la culture du Japon.

See the trailer here...

andrei 06.13.2009 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_s_d
Yes, Tokyo is an amazing city, and there are so many brilliant music stores... Even the mainstream-ish ones always have some great stuff in stock.
And the live music scene is the best...
I went there for a few months last year to work on a documentary focusing on the noise/exp/improv scene.
If anyone's in Paris on June 27th, the premiere is happening at La Maison de la culture du Japon.

See the trailer here...

The trailer looks awesome! Will ba a commercial release or something?

e_s_d 06.13.2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrei
The trailer looks awesome! Will ba a commercial release or something?

Thanks! Yes, there will probably a DVD at some point. Before that it'll be playing in various festivals throughout 2009 and 2010... If all goes well there might be a cinema release.

joe11121 06.13.2009 12:54 PM

I have to go to Tokyo before I die, most definitely

PAULYBEE2656 06.13.2009 01:18 PM

i agree joe. but i always wanted to visit osaka more...

those shirts are excellent.

Jeremy 06.13.2009 01:18 PM

The picture of Thurston on the shirt playing that Mustang is killer.

One day Tokyo, one day....

~Jeremy~

hiland 06.13.2009 11:16 PM

Here's the Mimio Tomozawa books I found...