Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "We Sing a New Language," Thurston Moore oral discography (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=114392)

greenlight 03.21.2017 07:44 AM

thanks for a link, where to get it. when I checked last time on amazon, I think I have seen it is only coming out next month or so, do not remember correctly coz it was already some time ago when I was checking, therefore I might not remember correctly and now I see first reviews from you guys. so it must mean it is out (or those are just copies for priliveged people before release date) I have to order it via Omnibus later today when I get home. wont be lying, I want this big time.

greenlight 03.21.2017 07:48 AM

so US edtion is out in August. what about Europe, is it out, or no?

NickSoulsby 03.21.2017 09:30 AM

The current line-up is the U.K. edition is out now and the U.S. edition will be out in August. The publisher is looking at other countries but it relies on negotiations with other publishers (publishing is nation-based in most cases.) It's not a heavy book weight-wise so don't think it'll cost too much to ship between countries but if someone from abroad does go to Amazon.co.uk (or an equivalent source) - I'd be intrigued to hear how much the shipping to their country was...

Moshe 03.21.2017 12:10 PM

free shipping worldwide

https://www.bookdepository.com/We-Si...?ref=grid-view

jlnpgt 03.28.2017 02:17 AM

I received the book yesterday... I ordered it more in a completist state of mind rather than for a real interest for ALL the TM improvised collaborations & solo stuff but I ended up reading it the whole evening.
The oral form works very well and makes the book very interesting

Congratulations to M. Soulsby to have done such a well ducumented and amazing work !

NickSoulsby 03.28.2017 06:02 PM

That's really sweet of you. Glad it worked. Doing this as a hobby around work it makes a real difference - hearing from people in the book that they enjoyed it, Thurston saying he "digged" what it ended up being...That kinda thing.

Speaking at Waterstones in Camden, London tomorrow - happy to sign stuff and just talk Sonic Youth with people.

Severian 04.02.2017 05:14 PM

Where else are you heading on your signage journeys?

Don't have a copy of the book yet. Sorry. Will order.

NickSoulsby 04.03.2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Where else are you heading on your signage journeys?

Don't have a copy of the book yet. Sorry. Will order.

Nothing planned, but I'm always bobbing about between London and Bristol so always happy to say hi to people with an interest in music if it fits the schedule.

Severian 04.05.2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickSoulsby
Nothing planned, but I'm always bobbing about between London and Bristol so always happy to say hi to people with an interest in music if it fits the schedule.

B-b-but I don't live in the U.K. :(

Moshe 04.05.2017 02:23 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

NickSoulsby 04.06.2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
B-b-but I don't live in the U.K. :(

If you like I'm happy to write something on paper and mail it to you to be added to the front of your copy...? Bit of a work-around...

I'm also happy to share the XLS version of the discography with anyone who wants it just in case it's helpful when collecting Thurston's appearances and releases (I didn't/don't track reissues, songs featured that first appeared elsewhere, remixes, production or inlay note contributions: just his actual songs/music and their first appearance.)

evollove 05.05.2017 02:34 PM

Book gets a shout out at the start of this interview:

http://thequietus.com/articles/22244...tor=MusicREDEF

If you haven't heard it yet, Thurston is in a thoughtful, talky mood.

hipster_bebop_junkie 05.08.2017 06:09 PM

Received my copy of the book today. Can't wait to read!

dasx 05.09.2017 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

Thanks for the link! I just ordered the book.

Toilet & Bowels 09.21.2017 12:40 PM

This book is amazing. I'm halfway through reading. I LOVE IT!

Toilet & Bowels 09.25.2017 05:18 AM

So Nick, if yr still around here... have you given more thought to a Lee Ranaldo book?

NickSoulsby 10.30.2017 11:36 AM

Hey ya, Sorry for the pause, hadn't been checking on much and didn't see this. I have indeed considered it - but a long pause after the release of the Thurston book is necessary because publishers will be looking for how that book does. In the meantime I'm working on a book regarding Swans with the cooperation of Michael Gira. Ultimately I can only really do one a year given I have my real job that pays the bills (writing doesn't make money unless one is writing about wizards.)

NickSoulsby 10.30.2017 11:37 AM

And hey, really glad you liked the book! I saw a review on Amazon.com that made me chuckle: the person rated the book on the basis that they haven't read it but they couldn't stand Thurston when they would see him around NYC so they couldn't understand wanting to read a book about him. I really laughed at that one - good to have a sense of humour about these kinda things.

Toilet & Bowels 11.01.2017 06:47 AM

Thanks for getting back. Just out of curiosity, I know not every release was given a write up, but why wasn't Mirror/Dash - Gum/Electric Pen covered but other Mirror/Dash releases were?

Gainsbarre 11.05.2017 06:59 AM

I haven't posted on here in 12yrs. Used to be a "regular", but ya know, life goes on and on and on. Things change, etc. Still check it from time to time. Anyway, noticed Nick Soulsby posts on here. Having just received the TM book just gotta say cheers to you man. This is great and extensive. I'm also a huge fan of your writing on Nirvana. The website and the books. I look forward to whatever your next project is. Keep up the great, great work.