Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   online education (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=43367)

Genteel Death 12.05.2010 04:24 AM

online education

yes or no?

ann ashtray 12.05.2010 04:27 AM

It def. makes things much easier for those that can't afford the time to actually attend class during normal hours.

yes.

And no, I don't feel this contradicts my opinions expressed in another thread.

nicfit 12.05.2010 04:35 AM

Do you mean actual classes or people thinking they can learn everything from internet and form their opinions thanks to wikipedia and Google?

pbradley 12.05.2010 05:45 AM

I like being able to chat face-to-face with my professors after class.

demonrail666 12.05.2010 05:50 AM

The Open University has been successfully running along similar lines for years. Generally though, I think universities provide a social function beyond just the learning aspect. Although that wouldn't be a major factor for everyone.

ploesj 12.05.2010 06:03 AM

for very basic training, yes maybe.

but for more advanced subjects i think the lack of like-minded surroundings might have a negative influence. when i hear friends at university talk about their education and what they learn from, they all say that talking to other students about what they learn is very high on the list. it's like learning a language: the best way to do so is to communicate with people who speak it.

it's like math classes. sometimes someone asks a question about a subject that isn't really a problem for you, but the teacher's answer just makes things simpler or easier. that's something you don't have with online studying, such input from different people.

Genteel Death 12.05.2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Do you mean actual classes or people thinking they can learn everything from internet and form their opinions thanks to wikipedia and Google?

Actual classes.

hevusa 12.05.2010 08:32 AM

after doing research about it, a strong NO. You can barely get a usable degree out of it currently. Maybe in the future...

ann ashtray 12.05.2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
after doing research about it, a strong NO. You can barely get a usable degree out of it currently. Maybe in the future...

I highly suspect most people will opt for online education in the future....it only makes sense. But your right, maybe right now it's not in anyone's better interest. Cell phones weren't either in the late 80's.

gast30 12.05.2010 08:54 AM

if online education gives you a good payed job
yes
and now i'm going to think negative
then you have people who payed alot for their education
and have a sort of destiney settled future
all preplaned and agreed behind closed doors
corropted or not
family connections or not

and that ofcourse is a futurewall to keep other people out from
also having a good future, a good job with good money

and that future wall keeps the poor poor
and the rich rich and those who are their slaves

this doesn't say nothing about the talent that everyone has

ann ashtray 12.05.2010 09:49 AM

I'm all for non-English speaking Americans...

but shit, sometimes on this board I wish the internet had a "press 1 for English" option.

gast30 12.05.2010 10:02 AM

i can also say it in a biblical way
adam didn't reach for an apple that was not worth to bite in
then you don't need a 'press 1 for english' feel more confortable now like almost home illusion

ann ashtray 12.05.2010 10:12 AM

Adam was pussy whipped. I'm pretty sure Eve handed him the apple. Men will always love the sinful aspects of their nature before anything else. If the apple really did in fact introduce man to knowledge (the Bible would refer to it as "sin"), then I guess that apple was really worth biting into. Too bad I can't pick one up at Kroger. Adam, you selfish jerk!

gast30 12.05.2010 10:24 AM

we men were chasing mamouts
and woman prepare fire and herbs

krastian 12.05.2010 03:39 PM

Pretty much everyone is getting their Masters online nowadays.

SONIC GAIL 12.06.2010 01:13 PM

YES i took financial accounting online. It was much more difficult than actually being in class though. You have to have a lot of discipline.

ink. 12.06.2010 01:26 PM

in concept it sounds like a great idea, to be able to have the less financially well off be able to get the same education as those who could afford it in the old system. ( now that the rich have decided it should be een more of a luxury and not one of the very few rights I beleive should belong to someone in a democratic state) in reality it is not less expensive, at least not in my old country.. and the education would not be of the same standard. maybe one day, when you can join a classroom via technology, but then it would still not benefit anyone in a lower class system sine they would probably not be able to afford the technology let alone fees.

I don't have another solution in mind.. but I think it is not an option, in it's current state..

Honestly I believe more in private companies being either registered as higher training authorities, and or companies leasing out professionals via small government grants to universities a few times a month to overall enable more classes and therefore more students.

Rob Instigator 05.11.2022 01:58 PM

Better to have someone do online education with actual teachers tha to be home-schooled by their mom who stopped paying attention in class in 6th grade.

Severian 05.12.2022 06:30 AM

Totally agree with Rob.

However, it depends on the level of schooling for me, especially with respect to higher ed. I look at graduate programs and even doctoral programs that are 80%-100% online and I just think, there is no way that’s the best way to do that. No way that’s as legitimate as an in-person program/fellowship, etc. But it could be. It really could be with the way technology has advanced since I was in college.

Anyway, in general I think most people learn better in the classroom, but it’s not always easy, convenient, or even possible (see: Bigass Fuckin’ Pandemic We’ve Been Dealing With For 2½ Years).

!@#$%! 05.13.2022 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Better to have someone do online education with actual teachers tha to be home-schooled by their mom who stopped paying attention in class in 6th grade.

hahahahahaaaaa

https://schoolhouseteachers.com/scho...e-bible-class/

yeah....