Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   It still bothers me that the deluxe reissues stopped ... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=115809)

Severian 09.03.2017 08:46 PM

It still bothers me that the deluxe reissues stopped ...

RIGHT before my favorite album, Sister, would have been next to up. I mean... what the heck happened? I devoured every reissues from Dirty to Daydream, and appreciated the hell out of each one. But why only those three in deluxe, double album format?

This is not something that has to remain unaccomplished. Deluxe reissues of all the albums would be really nice. If lesser bands like R.E.M. and the Cure and the Flaming Lips can do it, why can't SY?

Goddammit. The day the Dirty deluxe version became available, I thought, "wow cool... no rhyme or reason to why they're starting with Dirty, but as long as I eventually get Sister, etc. I'll be a happy camper."

:mad:

greenlight 09.04.2017 01:04 AM

It is hard to say why did they stopped issuing deluxe editons of their albums. I would love to see some WM deluxe version. can they pull something related to their albums which were not "deluxed" yet from their vaults and it is not live stuff? I think they could.

but even stuff (Screamin Fields Of Sonic Love DVD and also two 80ties documentaries /according to Brian from WFMU who is doing liner notes for it/) planned to go for release next went on idle for some reason.

hard to say. probably busy with other stuff.

Moshe 09.04.2017 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
I would love to see some WM deluxe version.

That would be amazing!

Severian 09.04.2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

It is hard to say why did they stopped issuing deluxe editons of their albums. I would love to see some WM deluxe version. can they pull something related to their albums which were not "deluxed" yet from their vaults and it is not live stuff? I think they could.

but even stuff (Screamin Fields Of Sonic Love DVD and also two 80ties documentaries /according to Brian from WFMU who is doing liner notes for it/) planned to go for release next went on idle for some reason.

hard to say. probably busy with other stuff.

Yeah, WM was another one I was really looking forward to.

Also, the promised pre-major label sequel to Corporate Ghost. Lots of dropped balls now that I think about it.

It may be a label thing. Reissues stoped around the time they signed to Matador, right? But Matador had a penchant for deluxe re-issues as well (Pavement). Either way, some of their albums need a more comprehensive archival re-release, like what VU did, or what Nirvana did. Certainly there's enough demand to make it worth it.

noisereductions 09.04.2017 02:17 PM

Evol with tour film was rumored as well.

greenlight 09.05.2017 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Evol with tour film was rumored as well.

imagine if one of those two 80ties documentaries Brian Turner is reffering to would be Evol tour film. that would be crazy.

by the way I might write him and ask him what exactly those two docs. are about.

d.sound 09.08.2017 12:52 PM

WM!!!
the moment i heard about dirty deluxe was the moment i fantasized they would do WM eventually. could there be demos? unused tracks? my inner 13 year old would blow a load.

whorefrost 09.08.2017 07:34 PM

Who knows dude, could be myriad reasons. No enthusiasm from Geffen to do it, lack of archival recordings pre-1988. Don't know the sales figures from the previous reissues, but maybe Geffen figured they nailed the three most well-known/popular albums and they got other fish to fry. Sucks for us hardcore fans.

I want to see more archival live releases a la Live at Smart Bar personally. The fact the band isn't active anymore also probably contributes to a lack of enthusiasm and energy for more releases.

noisereductions 09.08.2017 09:38 PM

When they were active I got so used to a near annual release of some sort. I wish archival stuff was so constant.

Severian 09.09.2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
When they were active I got so used to a near annual release of some sort. I wish archival stuff was so constant.

I prefer the expanded deluxe reissues to the little archival releases that come with nothing but a gatefold cover and a track list. Nothing against Spinhead Sessions, but it was just a disc and cardboard. I'd rather have a Beatles Anthology-esque collection of exhaustively annotated alternate takes and rare tracks, with a fatass booklet to obsess about and pour over endlessly.

noisereductions 09.09.2017 02:40 PM

I'd be happy with more of either or both. Smart Bar was amazing for just cardboard and disc.

deflinus 09.10.2017 02:19 PM

EJS&NS would have been an amazing reissue. It's such an obscure release of theirs but I would have liked to have seen it given a re-release. Sweet Shine is one of my top favorites.

Washing Machine would be killer

Severian 09.10.2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deflinus
EJS&NS would have been an amazing reissue. It's such an obscure release of theirs but I would have liked to have seen it given a re-release. Sweet Shine is one of my top favorites.

Washing Machine would be killer

:eek: "Sweet Shine" is one of my top favorites too! Part of a long tradition of killer Kim closers. "Massage the History" feels like a spiritual sequel to that song in my mind.

I agree. That would make a hell of a reissue. It's a GOOD album. You can hear the future of "edgy" alternative in those tracks. Beck, Blur, Modest Mouse... I think EJST&NS is due for a revival. It brought the art back. And the noise. And the pop, somehow. It (and Dirty) are the logical predecessors to what the band would later refine on Rather Ripped, and I'm glad they returned to that sound.

noisereductions 09.10.2017 09:59 PM

ESJ is a fascinating album to me. The band toured with Pavement and Sebadoh - who were no doubt inspired by Sonic Youth - and then SY went and recorded this album sort of inspired by those sounds. It's like... I don't know. There must be a scientific word here. I want to say mobius strip but not really.

d.sound 09.10.2017 11:54 PM

ejst has demos out there. there's a track of thurston rapping terribly.

Toilet & Bowels 09.21.2017 12:20 PM

When they announced the deluxe reissues i think the plan was for those 3 only from the start. I think one of the band members said later it was whatever label's idea and the label only wanted to do those 3.

A deluxe sister would be nice though.

greenlight 11.18.2017 08:33 AM

been lucky enough to caught up with Steve for a little at Le Guess Who festival. thanks Moshe for bringing me on! apparently there is enough of material (incl. demos) to make a 4CD deluxe edition of Sister!

what was about that documentary in their pipelines Moshe? Hold That Tiger with audio commentary? guys are busy with their current stuff, so it might take a while.

Severian 11.18.2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

been lucky enough to caught up with Steve for a little at Le Guess Who festival. thanks Moshe for bringing me on! apparently there is enough of material (incl. demos) to make a 4CD deluxe edition of Sister!

what was about that documentary in their pipelines Moshe? Hold That Tiger with audio commentary? guys are busy with their current stuff, so it might take a while.

Also, the promised sequel/prequel to Corporate Ghost. That never happened. Wish it would.

Toilet & Bowels 11.19.2017 04:47 AM

There is a predecessor to Corporate Ghost on VHS

NickSoulsby 11.19.2017 06:10 AM

One of the few bands with archives deep enough they could really smash the deluxe reissue format. Certainly from the time they get their own studio they're clear there's a lot of jamming, rehearsing, early takes, etc. Washing Machine and 1,000 Leaves would be knee-deep in good alt versions and off-cuts. Heck, the first three SYR EPs (plus Silver Session) are basically outtake releases showing how much cool stuff the band were doing around that time.