Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HOW DO YOU GET RID OF YOUR OLD CDs? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=87238)

!@#$%! 01.30.2013 05:23 PM

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF YOUR OLD CDs?

mine are just taking up space. :(

Toilet & Bowels 01.30.2013 05:35 PM

what do the second hand shops say about CDs these days?

floatingslowly 01.30.2013 05:47 PM

Funny you should ask...

First, I'm keeping all originals, but tossed the jewelcases. That freed up 10x the amount of space previously taken up, then I placed them on a spindle.

just this morning I "donated' nearly 1000 burned discs (audio and data) to a friend at work.

Last night, what few cassettes I had left were also donated to someone (who is overjoyed at now owning Kate Bush on tape).

Consolidate->donate

Ebay is a horrorshow and used cd stores won't give you shit. I've been paid in happiness.

The vinyl....ask me in a few months...

!@#$%! 01.30.2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
what do the second hand shops say about CDs these days?

no idea-- i don't have one nearby. i think the one went broke... but wouldn't they pay dirt anyway? they have to mark it up...

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
Funny you should ask...

[...]

Consolidate->donate

i was thinking of digitizing all to the NAS but with spotify i don't even bother using up my hard drives except for the things spotify doesn't carry. ADHD and collections don't mix well (collections are the realm of obsessives, and i'm not it).

and you're way nicer than i am. i don't want people's happiness-- i want their cold hard cash. but who will pay? ha! but i think some gifts would be cool though. true true true.

Quote:

Ebay is a horrorshow and used cd stores won't give you shit. I've been paid in happiness.

if it's been a pain in the ass to sell an $800 tape deck on ebay, i can't imagine the horror of selling cds, $3 at a time. i'd sooner blow my brains out.

Quote:

The vinyl....ask me in a few months...

i feel the same way!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.30.2013 07:04 PM

I didn't. They are all somewhere around here.. I have condensed them into a pocket full of flash drives for long term storage, I must admit it is quite nice. I still don't like to download when buying music, I like to have a disc and the artwork if even for a brief moment of reflection. I so sometimes miss two things about discs (a) how you had to select and choreograph the music for each day by choosing which discs to bring with you instead of having most of it on your iPod and (b) having to physically change discs when changing albums, it is a ritual and you get to see and feel and experience the album. However, I don't miss all that enough to abandon my iPod, I used to have to carry backpacks on the metro just to throw my disc player and some albums in it, now I just seem to have a backpack for the fuck of it, but all my music conveniently fits in my pocket. Fucking Steve Jobs you bastard, just like these tablets with MP3 players is just ANOTHER idea you stole from PCs ;)

MP3 players and tablets came out in the 1990s but until Apple made them sexy people could care less. I'm old school, I used to have MP3 disc players with all my files on 800MB discs..

!@#$%! 01.30.2013 07:48 PM

@ suchfriends-- i like the artwork too and all, but as i am perpetually relocating i am tired of carting the furniture and paraphernalia of old media, and since i'm moving this month, i have the urge to clear some space.

i still pack cds for the car, which is old and doesn't have an aux port, so i go through that backpack routine regularly. but the car repertoire is limited because i don't take anything in it that could put me to sleep or derange my nerves (it's a safety thing---otherwise i appreciate aural extremes very much)

but i'm gonna install an aux port in the thing. so everything must go (well, not everything...)

vinyl is another story so it stays for now... but fuck, i am tempted... that would hurt though. agghhhhhhh....

ps- also, the first pda/tablet (that i know about) was the apple newton.

Trama 01.31.2013 09:12 AM

I was born in the late 80s, my first music was on CD and MD. I keep those at my parents house. I've done away with most of everything else except for some vintage software (mostly videogames).

I still store everything on a NAS, but yeah, I've been using my DAAP server less and less.

I'm slowly in the process of selecting the stuff I want to upload to icloud and google music.

floatingslowly 01.31.2013 10:38 AM

This thread is depressing the fuck out of me.

My "vintage software's" "in the bin".

////// <-- my arm

Trama 01.31.2013 11:09 AM

My mother threw out a couple of baskets full of floppys with stuff my brother pirated out of bbs's.

I still have with me a bunch of MO disks and Zip drives.

Rob Instigator 01.31.2013 11:19 AM

I threw away all the jewel cases, and kept the inserts and CD's in a giant, very heavy, leather CD binder. It sits on the bottom shelf of the unit I store my vinyls in.

I also have uploaded most of them to a 1 TB external drive, so I can rock them on my phone.

floatingslowly 01.31.2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trama
My mother threw out a couple of baskets full of floppys with stuff my brother pirated out of bbs's.

I still have with me a bunch of MO disks and Zip drives.

Code:

1983+Ma-Bell+WarDialer=LoadRunner

!@#$%! 01.31.2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I threw away all the jewel cases, and kept the inserts and CD's in a giant, very heavy, leather CD binder. It sits on the bottom shelf of the unit I store my vinyls in.

I also have uploaded most of them to a 1 TB external drive, so I can rock them on my phone.

that sounds like a good temporary solution though i'd rather sell--and without the jewel box, won't buyers reject it?

i think i'm going to put a mat on the floor of a public space and wait for the american pickers to show the fuck up.

Rob Instigator 01.31.2013 03:00 PM

yueah, you gotta have a non-broken jewel case, but CD's are so disposable, no one wants to pay much for them at all.

floatingslowly 01.31.2013 03:08 PM

lol@finding a buyer

People won't even steal cd's anymore.

Spindle 'em, or stick 'em in a binder (full of women).

!@#$%! 01.31.2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
yueah, you gotta have a non-broken jewel case, but CD's are so disposable, no one wants to pay much for them at all.

5 bucks each no? i could buy a motorcycle!

Trama 01.31.2013 03:12 PM

www.musicmagpie.com

!@#$%! 01.31.2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trama

thanks man.

Rob Instigator 01.31.2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
5 bucks each no? i could buy a motorcycle!

if you are lucky you get 5 bucks, and then think about the cost of shipping them (if you sell far away), but if you go to half price books or some reseller, they will give you $1 per CD I swear!

Dr Chocolate 02.01.2013 02:15 AM

the local used record store gave up and started selling shitloads, and i mean shitloads and shitloads (10,000 or so?) at a buck a cd
they dont even want them anymore
they manage to survive on selling blu-ray and videogames & of course vinyl

what would i do with the 2000+ cd's i got
back them all up at least 3 times onto hard drives
and then throw them all into the firepit and burn them motherfuckers

i really dont even know why i even buy blank cd's anymore. other then i like making mix cd's to send out to people. but even that's getting old and boring, so i've switched to making mix tapes in the computer instead. alot of my friends dont even want to own cds anymore.

i often wonder what the hell would make a band want to put out cds anymore?
haven't they gone the way of the 8 track?

!@#$%! 02.07.2013 07:23 PM

2K CDs at $1 each = $2K.

would you burn money?

anyway, people still buy new CDs-- evolghost bought a deerhoof EP I could have sold to him used.

maybe the trick is to sell via amazon. since people who want CDs go there anyway, just offer the used one. hmmm.....

trash <=> treasure