Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Do you think books will survive? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39792)

Lurker 05.12.2010 05:14 PM

Do you think books will survive?

In actual paper form that is. Or will they be replaced by those stupid piece of crap electronic readers that you see the occasional prick using on the Underground?

EDIT - I MEANT TO PUT 'NO' IN THE POLL. I'm an idiot.

EDIT - BEWARE, THE THREAD TITLE AND POLL QUESTION ARE DIFFERENT.

Pookie 05.12.2010 05:16 PM

I really think the book is one of those unwittingly perfect formats, a bit like the album or the feature film or the magazine, that will endure (as the album and feature film and magazine have) long after technology has rendered them archaic.

Lurker 05.12.2010 05:16 PM

Yes.

Genteel Death 05.12.2010 05:48 PM

Yes. The majority of pricks who read on that ipad stuff are far more likely not to be avid readers anyway, and I can't see traditional readers ever disappearing. Plus the technology to replace books has been here for years now, but it never seems to replace the practicality and appeal that book have. Also, it's not like the majority of the population need to carry 10 or more books with them when they commute from one place to another.

Lurker 05.12.2010 05:56 PM

I just realise I put yes in the poll when I meant no. Stupid me.

I do think books will survive.

!@#$%! 05.12.2010 05:59 PM

lurker-- i see you're interested in scifi. question #4 could be a nice premise for a short story, but beware of similarities to farenheit 451. in a way, that guy made it impossible for everybody else to talk about books, with that story. i mean whatshisname-- the writer, not truffaut.

Lurker 05.12.2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lurker-- i see you're interested in scifi. question #4 could be a nice premise for a short story, but beware of similarities to farenheit 451. in a way, that guy made it impossible for everybody else to talk about books, with that story. i mean whatshisname-- the writer, not truffaut.

I don't read/watch much sci fi but I am interested in the future (same thing?) and how things will develop, technology etc. I haven't read Fahrenheit 451, I'll seek it out...some day...when I get round to it. But yeah thanks, maybe I'll write that story!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.12.2010 06:04 PM

Oh, shit. I meant to say "Yes, they will survive."

There's something romantic about reading books. Flipping page, after page, after page...

Lurker 05.12.2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Oh, shit. I meant to say "Yes, they will survive."

There's something romantic about reading books. Flipping page, after page, after page...

Sorry. You're another victim of my stupidity.

Yeah, definitely romantic. It's a personal thing, you can write your name, date in it. If it's a present you can write a message.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.12.2010 06:09 PM

It's cool. I've been victim to my own for quite some time now. Sometimes it's nice to change things up.

!@#$%! 05.12.2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurker
I don't read/watch much sci fi but I am interested in the future (same thing?) and how things will develop, technology etc. I haven't read Fahrenheit 451, I'll seek it out...some day...when I get round to it. But yeah thanks, maybe I'll write that story!

strike while the iron is hot

space 05.12.2010 06:14 PM

no, how else can I read my baby to sleep? kindle? ipad? get fucked.

that said, paper books are already expensive. I try to buy used.

Better_Than_Deux 05.12.2010 06:15 PM

i love books. screens make my eyes hurt.

i love book stores too. going inside and reading for hours.

YOU CAN'T DO THAT WITH KINDLE.

fuck kindle.

Pookie 05.12.2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space
...read my baby to sleep?

Anyone else find it really sinister when he says this?

!@#$%! 05.12.2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie

everyone. but don't tell him.

Pookie 05.12.2010 06:17 PM

I wonder how many babies he's "read to sleep":(.

Lurker 05.12.2010 06:19 PM

Thousands

!@#$%! 05.12.2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurker
Thousands

:eek: :eek: :eek:

is he a bishop???

space 05.12.2010 06:23 PM

it would take an entire chapter of Stephen Hawking to knock her out.

with William Gibson it's...3 pages....tops.

Quote:

I drew a picture of her sleeping, with my left hand. does that count?

demonrail666 05.12.2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

I really think the book is one of those unwittingly perfect formats, a bit like the album or the feature film or the magazine, that will endure (as the album and feature film and magazine have) long after technology has rendered them archaic.

Good point, well made.