Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thurston & bright Eyes Is Funny To Me Because... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17203)

avantgarde1 10.20.2007 10:02 PM

Thurston & bright Eyes Is Funny To Me Because...

i don't have anything against bright eyes (i gots 2 of their albums), but i distinctly remember reading a blurb in SPIN a while back (not the august issue) and the interviewer asked T something along the lines of "what scene are you glad to have missed or not be a part of?" and he answered emo, and that was the last question in the interview. i thought it was hilarious, he's not one to usually give 1 word answers. but now he's opening for oberst, who is probably the most recognized of all the emo bands (and probably the most "emo" of all the emo bands), not to mention the kid is young enough to be his son (exageration). i just thought it was funny and wondered if anyone else remembered reading this.

avantgarde1 10.20.2007 10:04 PM

ps-i don't know how comfortable i am w/ being labeled a "little trouble girl" as it says under my username :(

pbradley 10.20.2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avantgarde1
oberst, who is probably the most recognized of all the emo bands (and probably the most "emo" of all the emo bands)

Um, not really.

The worst thing about emo is that it is probably one of the most misunderstood, lied about, and admittedly disunified sounds of the last decade. People think it is new when it isn't. People think it is popular when it isn't.

Bright Eyes is just folk-indie garbage like all the other folk-indie stuff today. Don't listen to what Mtv tells you.

k-krack 10.20.2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Um, not really.

The worst thing about emo is that it is probably one of the most misunderstood, lied about, and admittedly disunified sounds of the last decade. People think it is new when it isn't. People think it is popular when it isn't.

Bright Eyes is just folk-indie garbage like all the other folk-indie stuff today. Don't listen to what Mtv tells you.

Fucking a.
But I'd say Conor Oberst, Desaparecidos especially, has made some fucking great, emotive music.
But people, learn about real "emo" before you make a retard of yrself.

pbradley 10.20.2007 11:42 PM

And I wonder if Thurston knows what he's talking about because Moss Icon and Indian Summer are some fantastic bands.

k-krack 10.21.2007 12:37 AM

WaiweatiwtiWAIT!
What the fuck?! Thurston is OPENING for Bright Eyes?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
What the fuck?????????

PAULYBEE2656 10.21.2007 04:33 AM

ok, his one word answer sounds like his warped sense of dry humour and also opening for bright eyes, as much as we all here dont want to admit it, for joe public, bright eyes is much wider known than thurston is. for concert promoters, all they want is bums on seats and did anyone think maybe thurst offered his services or bright eyes asked him to open? so what anyway,what real difference does it make?

avantgarde1 10.21.2007 05:08 AM

i am very well versed in what emo is... i saw "emo" bands back in 97 so i'm pretty sure i'm not a "retard" on the matter... i was talking about what emo is to the masses... and i have no problems w/ thurston playing w/ bright eyes (steve has played drums for him before), i just thought it was funny because T says he hates emo............ and for fucks sake WHY ISN'T BRIGHT EYES OPENING FOR HIM?!?!?!?

Ripchord 10.21.2007 09:22 AM

i have tickets to that show. i'm so happy. all you would have to do is add Old Springs Pike to the line up and i'd kill myself afterwards. because i would sit there KNOWING that it is the high point of my life...

atsonicpark 10.21.2007 09:25 AM

*rocks out to cap'n jazz with his cock out*

Danny Himself 10.21.2007 10:15 AM

Bright Eyes is not emo. If T-Bone opened for Dashboard Confessional then maybe your argument would make sense.

biggest muff 10.21.2007 11:59 AM

I have a feeling that Thurston's response was a tad tongue-in-cheek, given how much derision is poured upon the mass-marketed version of "emo." It always amuses me how different these contemporary "emo" bands are from the "original" ones (though admittedly the latter were a far more disparate group).

As far as Thurston opening for Bright Eyes goes... who gives a fuck? Not me. Conor Oberst is a pretty talented song-writer. Thurston is... Thurston. I'd hope for the sake of the audience that they play together, because that would be awesome. I'd say PAULYBEE's estimation is fairly spot-on.

k-krack 10.21.2007 12:13 PM

I find it so odd that Thurston, someone who's been around making music for 25+ years would be in the opening slot of someone significantly younger, but come to think of it, Thurston did only release his solo album (albeit, second... but this one's different...) a couple weeks ago...
Ahh, well.
All I meant was that that is so odd, not that I think it's disgusting.

HaydenAsche 10.21.2007 12:38 PM

I think of emo as like screamo bullshit.

31g fans. you know.

Inhuman 10.21.2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

i am very well versed in what emo is... i saw "emo" bands back in 97 so i'm pretty sure i'm not a "retard" on the matter... i was talking about what emo is to the masses... and i have no problems w/ thurston playing w/ bright eyes (steve has played drums for him before), i just thought it was funny because T says he hates emo............ and for fucks sake WHY ISN'T BRIGHT EYES OPENING FOR HIM?!?!?!?

What 'emo is to the masses'? But do you think Thurston's response was reffering to 'emo to the masses'? I look at Bright Eyes as singer-songwriter, he's pretty far from emo.

Chris Lawrence 10.21.2007 01:47 PM

If it's any consolation, Thurston did a Psychic Hearts set opening for the Black Crowes.

avantgarde1 10.21.2007 03:17 PM

lol, black crowes suck.... and bright eyes is fucking emo. i don't care what any of you say, he's a whiny little bastard. that doesn't mean i don't like his music though, cuz i like whiny music. i know everyone says what a great singer/songwriter (i hate that phrase) he is, but it's still emo. damien jurado is a singer/songwriter somewhat in the same vein, but the's not emo.

plastic sun 10.21.2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
Fucking a.
But I'd say Conor Oberst, Desaparecidos especially, has made some fucking great, emotive music.

i agree. i've been to a bright eyes show, and it was great.
i wish that desaparecidos had produced more than one album, though :(

k-krack 10.21.2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastic sun
i agree. i've been to a bright eyes show, and it was great.
i wish that desaparecidos had produced more than one album, though :(

I still haven't even been able to find it anywhere in town! I need to get it, the songs I've heard are fucking mindblowing.

Inhuman 10.21.2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

lol, black crowes suck.... and bright eyes is fucking emo. i don't care what any of you say, he's a whiny little bastard. that doesn't mean i don't like his music though, cuz i like whiny music. i know everyone says what a great singer/songwriter (i hate that phrase) he is, but it's still emo. damien jurado is a singer/songwriter somewhat in the same vein, but the's not emo.

omg LEAVE CONOR ALONE. One time I was at my bff's house and her parents walked in to the room and heard us playing bright eyes and she was like "what is this emo" and i said that it wasn't emo but she didn't listen and turned the lights off.
LEAVE.
CONOR.
ALONE.