Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The NME Awards. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38264)

Keeping It Simple 02.25.2010 07:20 AM

The NME Awards.

In case anyone is interested, here's a list of the winners. :)

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/49955

wellcharge 02.25.2010 07:29 AM

so paramore won best international band, and green day was nominated. but both were nominated for worst band as well

also why is there even a best international band category? everyone in it is american, and there's americans nominated in almost every category except best british band

also jonas brothers winning the worst band is a joke, they're better than almost every band listed

Keeping It Simple 02.25.2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
so paramore won best international band, and green day was nominated. but both were nominated for worst band as well

also why is there even a best international band category? everyone in it is american, and there's americans nominated in almost every category except best british band

also jonas brothers winning the worst band is a joke, they're better than almost every band listed

Can't please everyone.

wellcharge 02.25.2010 07:40 AM

you could please alot of people by recognizing the jonas brothers for what they are, aka a fuck of alot better than the yeah yeahs yeahs or oasis
as far as pleasing everyone:
youtube comes pretty close, but they lost the website category to muse :?

Keeping It Simple 02.25.2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

you could please alot of people by recognizing the jonas brothers for what they are, aka a fuck of alot better than the yeah yeahs yeahs or oasis
as far as pleasing everyone:
youtube comes pretty close, but they lost the website category to muse :?

No one is ever happy with the outcome of awards ceremonies. It's par for the course.

chrome noise tape 02.25.2010 09:07 AM

i'm interested in bands who don't belong to any kind of list...and those bands are not interested in being nominated.

Glice 02.25.2010 09:15 AM

I like how this list is almost identical to the last awards I saw from the NME, five years ago. Glastonbury winning best festival. There's a turn up for the books.

Keeping It Simple 02.25.2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I like how this list is almost identical to the last awards I saw from the NME, five years ago. Glastonbury winning best festival. There's a turn up for the books.

Here's the list of the NME awards winners for 2005. It's not as identical as you make out, is it? But then it's easy to say the same thing about any music awards ceremony.

http://www.nme.com/news/nme-awards/19257

Glice 02.25.2010 09:35 AM

Killers, Muse, Oasis, Glastonbury. I'd wager that Radiohead were nominated in the best live band as well. Ultimately, I don't care - the NME isn't for me, and hasn't been since roughly 40 or 50 seconds after I left my virginity 10 inches up some broad's vadge. The only thing is that I can't really tell the difference between the NME list and the Brits (which it was set up to oppose). Except there's more black people at the Brits.

Keeping It Simple 02.25.2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Killers, Muse, Oasis, Glastonbury. I'd wager that Radiohead were nominated in the best live band as well. Ultimately, I don't care - the NME isn't for me, and hasn't been since roughly 40 or 50 seconds after I left my virginity 10 inches up some broad's vadge. The only thing is that I can't really tell the difference between the NME list and the Brits (which it was set up to oppose). Except there's more black people at the Brits.

And the meaning behind your critique that clearly belongs in a school playground?

Glice 02.25.2010 10:06 AM

I'm sorry, can you not actually read? I don't speak Braille, sorry.

Keeping It Simple 02.25.2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, can you not actually read? I don't speak Braille, sorry.

You still haven't explained the meaning behind your puerile remark.

Toilet & Bowels 02.25.2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

the NME isn't for me, and hasn't been since roughly 40 or 50 seconds after I left my virginity 10 inches up some broad's vadge.

interesting connection, i stopped reading the NME at around the same time i first starting getting regular sex.

Just out of interest, did The Evening Session win best radio show?

Genteel Death 02.25.2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
In case anyone is interested, here's a list of the winners. :)

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/49955

You're the only one who's really interested.

atsonicpark 02.25.2010 04:00 PM

Weird British circle jerk. The Killers are still together?!

atsonicpark 02.25.2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

qft

Keeping It Simple 02.25.2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
interesting connection, i stopped reading the NME at around the same time i first starting getting regular sex.

Just out of interest, did The Evening Session win best radio show?

Last week then.

Toilet & Bowels 02.25.2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Last week then.

try making jokes that aren't obvious and have some basis in truth, you might get people to laugh

Keeping It Simple 02.25.2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
try making jokes that aren't obvious and have some basis in truth, you might get people to laugh

I could say the same about your lame dig at the NME about losing interest in it as soon as you started getting laid. It would help your cause if you based your dig on fact and not wishful thinking.

Toilet & Bowels 02.25.2010 04:33 PM

i wasn't making a dig at the NME, considering it's been a good 10 years since i stopped reading it I have no idea what it's like now and it would be foolish pass judgement