Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   NR Essentials #23: Lil Wayne - Tha Carter II (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39484)

batreleaser 04.21.2010 01:04 PM

Did someone say Lil Wayne was a good guitarist? Did I read that right?

noisereductions 04.21.2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser

someone did say that. I forget who now. But yeah I did read that. It's not true. He's terrible at guitar. Which is part of what makes it so awesome that he plays guitar. I mean, I'd kill to be a fly on the wall in that meeting with the label (Universal).

Lil Wayne: "Okay, so I'm gonna play guitar on this album."
Label Execs: ...

I think the track "Paradise" on REBIRTH contains lyrics that sum up the entire album's concept: "you can call me crazy / I've been called worse / it's like I've got it all / but what's it all worth?" -- Weezy "the artist" has grown to Kurdt-level of fame, and he knows it. So he can either kill himself, or he can kill his image. I think artistically he made this album in an attempt to kill the Weezy character. I mean think about the difference between REBIRTH and CARTER III. It's insane. In his own lyrics, he always compares himself to Biggie, Pac, Jay-Z... but (especially after watched THE CARTER docu) I find him way closer to Cobain. The age, the talent, the super-fast rise, the addiction, the not being able to cope -- except they cope differently. I mean there's excess, but it's gone about differently.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 02:08 PM

Okay, so I just listened to that Receipt track, and I have to say that although I did enjoy it more than what I've heard from him on the radio (on every other track that comes on), I would never choose to purchase/listen to one of his cd's as opposed to something along the lines of The Chronic.

Waye's completely expendable if you ask me, and a complete bastard for keeping autotune overuse alive.
Once again, I wish him a crude, prison shank straight to the gut.

noisereductions 04.21.2010 02:13 PM

he hasn't used autotune in like a year mang.

technically...

REBIRTH does have some autotune, but it was recorded over a year ago. haha. NO CEILINGS from 2009 is actually newer material than REBIRTH from 2010. NO CEILINGS is more rap. No autotune.

also...

there's good autotune in existence. Check out the track "Eat You Alive" from THE DROUGHT IS OVER 3... that song is f'ing awesome. Eugene you might even like it, even though it's auto-tune, it's got a wicked creepy synth part, and amazing low end. Almost like um, if Three 6 Mafia sang R&B or something ridiculous like that.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 02:16 PM

I hope his jail cell has no ceiling and he is struck by lightning.

EDIT: Sorry to trigger bad memories, SuchFriends.

noisereductions 04.21.2010 02:17 PM

guy, YOU LIKE I C P !!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 02:18 PM

You're damn right I do!

WHOOP WHOOP!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser

noisereductions 04.21.2010 02:38 PM

Dr. Eugene,d id you read the part about "Eat You Alive"? It was an edit.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 02:47 PM

The Limp Bizkit song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb24kLd459Y

noisereductions 04.21.2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
there's good autotune in existence. Check out the track "Eat You Alive" from THE DROUGHT IS OVER 3... that song is f'ing awesome. Eugene you might even like it, even though it's auto-tune, it's got a wicked creepy synth part, and amazing low end. Almost like um, if Three 6 Mafia sang R&B or something ridiculous like that.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 02:57 PM

I'm listening to Loveless. Why the hell would I want to check out another sub-par Lil Wayne song right now? lol

noisereductions 04.21.2010 03:00 PM

Am I the only person that thinks LOVELESS is way over=rated? I mean, I know I'm the only one on THIS board, but I'm just saying. Ther's a couple of songs I love on it. But for the most part, I just think it's a good album.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 03:01 PM

I like it's droning layers. I do prefer Isn't Anything though.

Glice 04.21.2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Am I the only person that thinks LOVELESS is way over=rated? I mean, I know I'm the only one on THIS board, but I'm just saying. Ther's a couple of songs I love on it. But for the most part, I just think it's a good album.

Wasn't there a whole shitstorm over that around the last spate of Loveless threads? It is over-rated, but it's hardly worth saying it. You'd think it was Jesus Christ the way people yark on about it here.

noisereductions 04.21.2010 03:06 PM

I love the frst song. Then after that it's ok. I've never even heard any of their albums to be honest.

demonrail666 04.21.2010 03:09 PM

i was the one who mentioned the guitar thing. i've onlt heard him oin the carter stuff which i don't like but sounds like he knows what he's doing. it was probably touched upin post production.

noisereductions 04.21.2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
i was the one who mentioned the guitar thing. i've onlt heard him oin the carter stuff which i don't like but sounds like he knows what he's doing. it was probably touched upin post production.

alls I can think of that he did on CARTER was the realllllllly bad solo at the end of "Shoot Me Down" on CARTER III.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 03:50 PM

Loveless is outstanding. You guys just need to smoke more.

demonrail666 04.21.2010 03:52 PM

i thought there was more than that, samples of stuff maybe. more like backing track bits than actual solos

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Am I the only person that thinks LOVELESS is way over=rated?

guy, you like Lil' Wayne...

shabbray2.0 04.21.2010 04:01 PM

^^hahaahaa
btw do not post your half naked gf on here

wellcharge 04.21.2010 04:09 PM

i worked in a record store, the juggalos weren't annoying at all, they would come in,ask for what they want, pay and leave.

Glice 04.21.2010 04:09 PM

Racist.

noisereductions 04.21.2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
i worked in a record store, the juggalos weren't annoying at all, they would come in,ask for what they want, pay and leave.

yr lucky. The ones I got would always ask "where u keep da psychotic clownz at?" or some stupid shit like that. And they'd be wearing an ICP shirt. And a painted face. And a freak on a leash. It would have been cool if they came in looking like that and asked for Thelonious Monk. But do you really have to wear a Shitty Beatles shirt to a Shitty Beatles show?

demonrail666 04.21.2010 04:39 PM

in all seriousness, do icp fans really walk around with their faces painted?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 04:40 PM

ICP were in a southwest-Detroit street gang (who self-admittedly got their asses kicked a lot) before 90's mall goths picked up on 'em.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.21.2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
in all seriousness, do icp fans really walk around with their faces painted?

It's a small minority. But I've seen it before.

I actually plan on doing some corpse paint for when I go to the gathering.

The Earl Of Slander 04.21.2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Okay, so I just listened to that Receipt track, and I have to say that although I did enjoy it more than what I've heard from him on the radio (on every other track that comes on), I would never choose to purchase/listen to one of his cd's as opposed to something along the lines of The Chronic.

Waye's completely expendable if you ask me, and a complete bastard for keeping autotune overuse alive.
Once again, I wish him a crude, prison shank straight to the gut.

Conversely, of the acknowledged holy texts of classic hip-hop, the Chronic is probably the one I dig the least. I mean it's got some absolutely classic tunes on it, especially Fuck Wit Dre Day, but damn, as someone who came to it late, already being a decent sized hip-hop fan but knowing like NO west coast stuff, it strikes me as horrifically fucking dated and I don't know... just underwhelming some how. I keep trying and trying with it, but I always end up feeling that the albums just stuffed with filler (especially in the second half) and generally a bit weak, to the extent that I rarely manage to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. Just can't seem to get it for some reason.

noisereductions 04.21.2010 05:32 PM

THE CHRONIC is great, and I was with it from the get go. But in all seriousness, pound for pound DOGGYSTYLE is really a better album. I mean, I prefer Dre over Snoop in every way, but let's be honest, both albums are really Dre albums highlighting Snoop anyway. Just my 2 cents.

The Earl Of Slander 04.21.2010 05:43 PM

I will have to check out Doggystyle. People keep telling me this. My general policy of buying and spending time with albums most of the time, coupled with being a penniless student, really reduces the rate at which I get on these things.

noisereductions 04.21.2010 06:04 PM

they are both great "G-Funk" Summer albums. As are The Game's THE DOCUMENTARY and DJ Quik & Kurupt's BLAQKOUT.

HaydenAsche 04.21.2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

You're certainly not. Heard any good chopped shit, lately? I saw a mighty fine cut of 'I Feel Like Dying' and a chopped version of 'I Want Your Blood' by Slayer(maybe. I really don't know) by a local DJ the other night. Made me think of our pages of Watts-praise.

Norma J 04.22.2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Conversely, of the acknowledged holy texts of classic hip-hop, the Chronic is probably the one I dig the least. I mean it's got some absolutely classic tunes on it, especially Fuck Wit Dre Day, but damn, as someone who came to it late, already being a decent sized hip-hop fan but knowing like NO west coast stuff, it strikes me as horrifically fucking dated and I don't know... just underwhelming some how. I keep trying and trying with it, but I always end up feeling that the albums just stuffed with filler (especially in the second half) and generally a bit weak, to the extent that I rarely manage to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. Just can't seem to get it for some reason.

It's because Dre is a better producer than he is rapper. He's a cool rapper, but he doesn't compete with the other guys which he hung with and helped make huge.

Listen to some N.W.A or some of Ice Cube records. Awesome stuff.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.22.2010 05:02 AM

If Lil Wayne wrote "Miracles" you would all claim deep value within it.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.22.2010 05:12 AM

NR, check out this "teaser" of Esham's new album, Suspended Animation. I think you're really gonna dig it. :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji3r-...eature=related

Here's a track off of the upcoming album. I can't wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyh_Y1GCqzo

noisereductions 04.22.2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
You're certainly not. Heard any good chopped shit, lately? I saw a mighty fine cut of 'I Feel Like Dying' and a chopped version of 'I Want Your Blood' by Slayer(maybe. I really don't know) by a local DJ the other night. Made me think of our pages of Watts-praise.

wow, who chopped "Feel Like Dying?" Was it released on anything? That's hot. Um, I was listening to the chopped version of The Game's UNTOLD STORY the other day. But I've mostly been listening to THA CARTER II bonus disc and I think taht OG Ron C did a really good chopping chopping DEDICATION 2. Though he ditched my favorite track ("South Music").

noisereductions 04.22.2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
It's because Dre is a better producer than he is rapper.

exactly! He's a brilliant producer, and an okay rapper.

noisereductions 04.22.2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

no, he has tracks I don't like. And I have no problem saying that. It's bound to happen with the amount of tracks he records. In this thread even, I pointed out that as much as I love CARTER II, I don't like the track "Grown Man" on it at all.

The Earl Of Slander 04.22.2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

I probably dislike the majority of stuff Wayne I've heard from, or at least haven't clicked with at all yet. I'm still really not converted to his more club side at all. That doesn't stop me seeing the awesomeness of Tha Carter II.