Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   SY Fans at DC Show Were WEIRD (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3076)

simibaby 06.16.2006 10:35 AM

SY Fans at DC Show Were WEIRD

What weirdos, man. Two extremes, for the most part : People either stood there motionless like statues or they CROWD SURFED?! thru even the softest of songs (which "...Ripped" has a lot of.) Go figure.

samuel 06.16.2006 10:40 AM

I was there, and a lot of Sonic Youth fans are annoying as hell. I was standing next to these boys with perfectly ripped jeans. They were basically playing Who Knows The Most About Sonic Youth as loud as possible. Then, a bus went by and they were "Is that them? OMG It's like a bus. What's that bus doing?"

Shut the fuck up. It's a bus.

Those boys were probably the crowd surfers. Haha.

Trasher02 06.16.2006 10:41 AM

Yeah, Sonic Youth is for nerds.

Dan 06.16.2006 11:19 AM

Some things kind of bothered me, but I guess I'm sort of a grouch at shows. For one, kids yelling out for songs and shit, but that happens anywhere. It still just seems rude. Before the band came out everybody was a lot of kids were freaking out to see the setlist and trying to push through and were yelling back the songs to people. I mean, I like to be surprised, so that's lame for me. Otherwise I was just hearing conversations that hurt my soul but were also kind of funny. These kids were talking to this older guy and he kept asking them what band's they've heard of and talking about how old he was when Dirty came out and sutff. "You know what I really like though? Sufjan Stevens? Have you guys heard of him? No? He plays like ten instruments, it's crazy. You should check it out. Sufjan Stevens."

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 06.16.2006 11:24 AM

Adults yell out for songs too. I remember standing by a 45 year old guy screaming Catholic Block the whole show. I got pissed at the Pixies concert because there were a bunch of dirty hippies there. I was fucking sick as hell at the Pixies show but I went anyways.

Dan 06.16.2006 11:28 AM

I wasn't generalizing-- there were a lot of people yelling out songs. Everybody around me was really young and most of the shouting I heard was from them. I was just speaking about what was going on around me.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 06.16.2006 11:34 AM

my only sonic show, was great. Everyone was chill and cool. There was a small group of moshers in the front. About halfway through some guys stood next to me, about my dads age and started talking, beer in hand. Then there was this one guy right infront of blocking most of the stage. The farthest person from the stage was maybe 30-40 feet away. I remember walking in while the markers were playing, my dad hated it. (he braught me there). I bet some people here are older than my dad...

pantophobia 06.16.2006 11:56 AM

i was very shocked to see that at a dc show, i was up front for the early show and it was very calm, great time to get many pics in

got a birds eye view from the balcony for the late show, i have never seen that kind moshing and crowd surfing before, i get nervous about some crowd surfers ever since some guy tried to grab kim in montreal, but this crowd were better then that this time, like the girl at mid-set got and stage and danced a little, and 5 people got on stage for brother james, shit was madness

tallmanthink 06.16.2006 12:13 PM

Yeah, the early show was real calm. pet was very high energy, but people didn't seem to really wake up.
My jeans are ripped because I pet cats, climbed trees, grew my hair out, and went crazy.
There was one guy standing in the middle who made me laugh. He didn't look the least bit interested in anything that was going on. Actually, he smiled once. I enjoyed that.
It was cool that they didn't just play through the new stuff, cuz im not familiar with it, though it was really good live. I liked the diversity.
Does anyone have the setlist for the early show?

lizzarddd 06.16.2006 12:18 PM

...figures pretty much everyone in dc is gay or a hippie, i'm still sorta pissed i didnt go, i hate crowd surfers, i went to one concert with my friend seeing her favorite band and she pulled some crowd surfers hair and like pulled her down and punched her in the head, and my friend goes "YOU AINT RUINING THIS FOR ME" i pretty much just stood there and laughed and the girl ran off. good stuff,.

!@#$%! 06.16.2006 12:25 PM

dc is being taken over by lawyers, high-ranking federal employees, and yuppies of all kinds-- and their bratty kids. the largest employer is the u.s. government, and the lobbyists come right after. artists, musicians, general bohos, have been on the way out for some time now.

i used to live there in the heyday of urban decay. rats, crackhouses, whores, muggings, and a healthy underground scene- ah, those were some great times!

now for a good crowd go to baltimore. it won't disappoint.

Dan 06.16.2006 12:33 PM

Haha, Baltimore has its rough crowds too.

luxinterior 06.16.2006 01:23 PM

My first Sonic Youth concert was almost too good...the between-song banter between the band and the audience still makes me laugh.

At the second one, the crowd was annoying and ruined everything.

Trasher02 06.16.2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzarddd
...figures pretty much everyone in dc is gay or a hippie, i'm still sorta pissed i didnt go, i hate crowd surfers, i went to one concert with my friend seeing her favorite band and she pulled some crowd surfers hair and like pulled her down and punched her in the head, and my friend goes "YOU AINT RUINING THIS FOR ME" i pretty much just stood there and laughed and the girl ran off. good stuff,.

I like crowdsurfing.
Tell yr friend not to punch me.

krastian 06.16.2006 01:44 PM

Wow crowd surfing. Yeah the crowd in the first show was pretty quiet....not many people really moving. I was thrashing around in fucking sonic bliss. It seems like there were a lot of young kids there....some with their parents. That's cool, I just didn't like when a bunch of kids tried to push their way to the front. Oh well, they looked really excited to be there.

krastian 06.16.2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzarddd
...figures pretty much everyone in dc is gay or a hippie

Ummmmm, what are you trying to say?

mattt74 06.16.2006 06:18 PM

That older guy was me you jackaninny. Sufjan Stevens has more talent in his right fucking pinky than you will ever have. let's not be pretentious HATERS. Someday when YOU are a little older you will undertand that just because you are not as good as others in something you can still appreciate them. don't be jealous. daddy's got you. sujan stevens has ALOT of talent. mattt
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan
Some things kind of bothered me, but I guess I'm sort of a grouch at shows. For one, kids yelling out for songs and shit, but that happens anywhere. It still just seems rude. Before the band came out everybody was a lot of kids were freaking out to see the setlist and trying to push through and were yelling back the songs to people. I mean, I like to be surprised, so that's lame for me. Otherwise I was just hearing conversations that hurt my soul but were also kind of funny. These kids were talking to this older guy and he kept asking them what band's they've heard of and talking about how old he was when Dirty came out and sutff. "You know what I really like though? Sufjan Stevens? Have you guys heard of him? No? He plays like ten instruments, it's crazy. You should check it out. Sufjan Stevens."

val-holla-ing 06.16.2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattt74
That older guy was me you jackaninny. Sufjan Stevens has more talent in his right fucking pinky than you will ever have. let's not be pretentious HATERS. Someday when YOU are a little older you will undertand that just because you are not as good as others in something you can still appreciate them. don't be jealous. daddy's got you. sujan stevens has ALOT of talent. mattt

geddy lee has talent to boot but rush still fucking sucks. and all of sufjan's songs sound exactly the same. pretty, but the same.

Dan 06.16.2006 06:49 PM

Never said he wasn't talented. I don't really have an opinion on his music either way. Not meaning to rip on anybody-- I don't know why, but hearing conversations like that outloud are just kind of amusing to me, and it reminded me of one part of this short in particular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LR2fRIt1lc

Not hatin',

Dan

val-holla-ing 06.16.2006 06:51 PM

i still love that video and how he slaps that woman for not knowing what pitchfork media is.

"indie-tastic!"