Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

rebeccagotcursedout 02.28.2015 11:39 PM

yeh, but "Peg" is such a good song.

Mortte Jousimo 03.01.2015 02:06 AM

Severian, If I had 21 year son, I would have been 21 when I had him. Have you forgotten SY started already in the seventies and made their first record 1982? I think Thurston could be your grandgrandpa. Are you just joking or do you really think everybody who are here must be young or at least evry young shouldn´t talk to old ones? I think I am prick but sometimes I have wondered why you people who seem to be so in new music, listen also SY. Because I don´t hear nothing common in them. Anyway It´s totally same to me what people are listening. And people´s ages just have no meaning to me.

whorefrost 03.01.2015 11:43 AM

Free Kitten - Inherit

Severian 03.01.2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Severian, If I had 21 year son, I would have been 21 when I had him. Have you forgotten SY started already in the seventies and made their first record 1982? I think Thurston could be your grandgrandpa. Are you just joking or do you really think everybody who are here must be young or at least evry young shouldn´t talk to old ones? I think I am prick but sometimes I have wondered why you people who seem to be so in new music, listen also SY. Because I don´t hear nothing common in them. Anyway It´s totally same to me what people are listening. And people´s ages just have no meaning to me.


I was really just fuckering around. I don't really know how to answer any of your questions. I don't care how old anyone is... But my parents are older than Thurson, so to me, all I can think of is my fishing hat wearing father hanging out on this board, going to Lightning Bolt shows and chatting about Rich Homie Quan.

But why does it strike you as odd that I like Sonic Youth so much? You're right, hey sound nothing like most of the new music that I get excited about, but that's because they're singular and perfect. And sonically, there's more of a connection between SY and new generations of experimental sound terrorists than you'd think. With each passing ear, I hear Sonic Youth's influence stretching out and creeping into new places.... It's one of the reasons why their music never really becomes ordinary or normal sounding.

Ah... is that cool?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.01.2015 01:07 PM

Hey to his im surprised as hell anyone under 30 has even heard of sonic youth yo!

!@#$%! 03.01.2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I was really just fuckering around.


i dont know man. you were being ageist with yourself in your career thread. so maybe it's a thing with you?

so yes. gmku turned 60 very recently. happy birthday!

any of us who has sufficient brains and luck should reach that age eventually.

hopefully nobody will be policing our listening choices at that point.

Severian 03.01.2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i dont know man. you were being ageist with yourself in your career thread. so maybe it's a thing with you?

so yes. gmku turned 60 very recently. happy birthday!

any of us who has sufficient brains and luck should reach that age eventually.

hopefully nobody will be policing our listening choices at that point.


I'm not policing anyone's listening choices. I have a confessed appreciation for Steely Dan. The only thing I find strange is that they've been mentioned on this board a few times just in the last few weeks. Nothing wrong with it... It's just a bit of a surprise.

!@#$%! 03.01.2015 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I'm not policing anyone's listening choices. I have a confessed appreciation for Steely Dan. The only thing I find strange is that they've been mentioned on this board a few times just in the last few weeks. Nothing wrong with it... It's just a bit of a surprise.


oh i thought you were suprised that someone barely older than thurston [eta: of kim's same age] would be a sy fan. maybe i misread. sorry.

someone here used to have a signature that compared the sea & cake to steely dan. i haven't seen signatures in ages but i used to like the sea & cake.

if you haven't seen gmku much before, he's also a big rolling stones fan-- just like ex-boardie satan who first showed up here when he was like 16 and is probably in her mid 20s now.

==

anyway, what i'm listening to -- a playlist that in the last 1/2 hour has included

-very early pink floyd
-deerhoof
-electralane
-rossini's semiramide overture (currently on)

Antagon 03.01.2015 07:11 PM

A Thousand Leaves

Haven't heard Wildflower Soul, Hoarfrost and Hits Of Sunshine in quite a while.

EVOLghost 03.01.2015 07:29 PM

 


 


Seiko Oomori I forget the name of the first...but the 2nd is Zettai Shoujo.

The Soup Nazi 03.01.2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Hey to his im surprised as hell anyone under 30 has even heard of sonic youth yo!


Come on. When I saw them in 2009 at least a third of the audience wasn't even born when Daydream Nation came out. With a few exceptions, nobody needs to be of a certain age to like anything anymore. The us-vs.-them, my-generation-over-the-sorry-ass-shit-my-parents-listened-to 'tude is not as ubiquitous as it once was. The interwebs have collapsed time like a greasy taco and with the reissue industry at its peak people are not only fetishizing acts from "back in the day", but entire goddamn eras — in the lamentable case of the whole neo-postpunk/newwave/newpop bullcrap, for example, it's not just Joy Division and Gang Of Four you hear recycled, it's all the turdness that should have stayed in 1979: Spandau Ballet, Ultravox, A Motherfucking Flock Of Shitty Seagulls. And with virtually every freakin' song ever recorded in the HISTORY OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM available in a matter of seconds, both the "older than" and "younger than" camps continuously amass collections in which Johnny Cash and Lady Caca coexist just because of the premium a mediocre Hollywood flick and the latest idiotic dress/costume put on them.

Don't trust anyone over 30? Don't trust anyone under 30? Don't trust anyone's music collection, period.

hirsute_biped 03.02.2015 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Come on. When I saw them in 2009 at least a third of the audience wasn't even born when Daydream Nation came out. With a few exceptions, nobody needs to be of a certain age to like anything anymore. The us-vs.-them, my-generation-over-the-sorry-ass-shit-my-parents-listened-to 'tude is not as ubiquitous as it once was. The interwebs have collapsed time like a greasy taco and with the reissue industry at its peak people are not only fetishizing acts from "back in the day", but entire goddamn eras — in the lamentable case of the whole neo-postpunk/newwave/newpop bullcrap, for example, it's not just Joy Division and Gang Of Four you hear recycled, it's all the turdness that should have stayed in 1979: Spandau Ballet, Ultravox, A Motherfucking Flock Of Shitty Seagulls. And with virtually every freakin' song ever recorded in the HISTORY OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM available in a matter of seconds, both the "older than" and "younger than" camps continuously amass collections in which Johnny Cash and Lady Caca coexist just because of the premium a mediocre Hollywood flick and the latest idiotic dress/costume put on them.

Don't trust anyone over 30? Don't trust anyone under 30? Don't trust anyone's music collection, period.



Amen. Also, Soup Nazi has the best signature. Meanwhile...


 



 

Sherburne County 10" by Marcus Eads">Sherburne County 10" by Marcus Eads

and the latest installments of Fahey week over at
http://delta-slider.blogspot.com/

a baby in 1980 03.02.2015 03:01 AM

 



http://open.spotify.com/album/5m1RkwKeU7MV0Ni6PH2lPy
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._H4ddLSZ-bkHpq

Mortte Jousimo 03.02.2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

But why does it strike you as odd that I like Sonic Youth so much? You're right, hey sound nothing like most of the new music that I get excited about, but that's because they're singular and perfect. And sonically, there's more of a connection between SY and new generations of experimental sound terrorists than you'd think. With each passing ear, I hear Sonic Youth's influence stretching out and creeping into new places.... It's one of the reasons why their music never really becomes ordinary or normal sounding.

?

Not striking, just wondering...Like you wondered Steely Dan in SYG. I think SY music doesn´t sound at all eighties or nineties music and really not 2000 music. To me it´s sound very lot sixties & seventies music and that´s one big reason why I love it so much. But that just my opinion. SY is very far of Steely Dan, but a nearer of it than 2000 music.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.02.2015 11:00 AM

Ive beeb listening to 60s and 70s music for years and while sy certainly has the feel of such bands they don't sound anything similar

me. 03.02.2015 12:24 PM

 


can't stop playing this album

gmku 03.02.2015 01:15 PM

At 60, I'm finally wise enough to feel more amused than irritated by narrow-minded idiots. Maybe I just missed a forum rule. Are we supposed to only post about certain kinds of music? If so, I'm sure I can find things I listen to that qualify.

!@#$%! 03.02.2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Come on. When I saw them in 2009 at least a third of the audience wasn't even born when Daydream Nation came out. With a few exceptions, nobody needs to be of a certain age to like anything anymore. The us-vs.-them, my-generation-over-the-sorry-ass-shit-my-parents-listened-to 'tude is not as ubiquitous as it once was. The interwebs have collapsed time like a greasy taco and with the reissue industry at its peak people are not only fetishizing acts from "back in the day", but entire goddamn eras — in the lamentable case of the whole neo-postpunk/newwave/newpop bullcrap, for example, it's not just Joy Division and Gang Of Four you hear recycled, it's all the turdness that should have stayed in 1979: Spandau Ballet, Ultravox, A Motherfucking Flock Of Shitty Seagulls. And with virtually every freakin' song ever recorded in the HISTORY OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM available in a matter of seconds, both the "older than" and "younger than" camps continuously amass collections in which Johnny Cash and Lady Caca coexist just because of the premium a mediocre Hollywood flick and the latest idiotic dress/costume put on them.

Don't trust anyone over 30? Don't trust anyone under 30? Don't trust anyone's music collection, period.



this was superhilarious & good writing.

gmku 03.02.2015 02:02 PM

Yep. Love the greasy taco analogy.

Severian 03.02.2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i dont know man. you were being ageist with yourself in your career thread. so maybe it's a thing with you?

so yes. gmku turned 60 very recently. happy birthday!

any of us who has sufficient brains and luck should reach that age eventually.

hopefully nobody will be policing our listening choices at that point.


You know, I actually think this is kind of a "thing with me."

I am ashamed of my age. In more ways than I'm willing to admit. I'm ashamed of the fact that I have been roughly 5 years older than 85% of my co-workers over the last five years. I feel constantly guilty for how little I've accomplished in my life... so much of what I have accomplished has been purely for the sake of other people. And I'm ashamed that so few of the people that I've re-arranged my life for seem to be willing to even entertain the idea of supporting me (emotionally) while I pursue my own goals.

So while I wasn't truly slamming Steely Dan, and I was, more than anything, responding with self-deprecating remarks to Genteel's comment about gmku being old enough to be my father (which I suppose he is, and good on him for getting that far), I think it's true that I struggle with a covert and warped form of ageism that is a function of my own inability to feel content with myself or my life.

All I see is a big ticking clock.

I'm going through some shit right now. Sorry everyone.

!@#$%! 03.02.2015 08:09 PM

by magic fucking chance a random playlist out of my old server is playing right now ULTRAVOX's "hiroshima mon amour" which sounds like a mongrel child of kraftwerk and david bowie with a bad saxophone-- part terrible, part not terrible at all. i think some of it can be rescued.

==========


Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
You know, I actually think this is kind of a "thing with me."

I am ashamed of my age. In more ways than I'm willing to admit. I'm ashamed of the fact that I have been roughly 5 years older than 85% of my co-workers over the last five years. I feel constantly guilty for how little I've accomplished in my life... so much of what I have accomplished has been purely for the sake of other people. And I'm ashamed that so few of the people that I've re-arranged my life for seem to be willing to even entertain the idea of supporting me (emotionally) while I pursue my own goals.

So while I wasn't truly slamming Steely Dan, and I was, more than anything, responding with self-deprecating remarks to Genteel's comment about gmku being old enough to be my father (which I suppose he is, and good on him for getting that far), I think it's true that I struggle with a covert and warped form of ageism that is a function of my own inability to feel content with myself or my life.

All I see is a big ticking clock.

I'm going through some shit right now. Sorry everyone.


yeah man that shame is the big killer. not a sense of shame, which is the healthy notion that we're neither omnipotent nor all-knowing, but the toxic shame that sez something is wrong with your being.

that shame will find an excuse to try to kill you with whatever tools at hand. it's your age today, it will be something else another day. too many miserable overachievers spend their life trying to shake that feeling away by being the greatest little boys ever. and they never can because that's not the way. it's the same feeling that drives most addicts.

don't let the fascism of [performance = love] get in the way of you iving your life with some fundamental peace and joy. which is your human right.

puke that poison. puke it!

now with your pardon i will go enjoy an evening of wine-drinking and fantastic underachieving with the people who love me for who i am-- yes, those people. poor things! i love them too. not much else required in life, really.

well, have fun now. now!

schizophrenicroom 03.03.2015 02:21 PM

shostakovich symphony no. 10 in e minor. it's fucking awesome.

Genteel Death 03.03.2015 04:50 PM

My comment wasn't a snide remark at gmku's age, I was just observing that Steely Dan are the sort of band appreciated by people who have been around for long enough to remember who they are. You're such a bunch of over-emotional pricks. Nevermind, nothing new there.

I'm listening to a bunch of songs by Home Blitz and JT IV.

The Soup Nazi 03.03.2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
Amen. Also, Soup Nazi has the best signature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
this was superhilarious & good writing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Yep. Love the greasy taco analogy.


 

The Soup Nazi 03.03.2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
What's with all the Dan-fuckin' going on around these parts lately?


Curious way to put it, considering "Steely Dan" was originally a strap-on dildo in Burroughs' Naked Lunch...

Genteel Death 03.03.2015 06:14 PM

Severian is a strap-on dildo in Burroughs' Naked Lunch...

!@#$%! 03.03.2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
My comment wasn't a snide remark at gmku's age, I was just observing that


WE KNEW THAT ALREADY.

i was listening to some jim o'rourke that sounds like a rework of pink floyd's great gig in the sky. ill explain this later.

The Soup Nazi 03.03.2015 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
by magic fucking chance a random playlist out of my old server is playing right now ULTRAVOX's "hiroshima mon amour" which sounds like a mongrel child of kraftwerk and david bowie with a bad saxophone-- part terrible, part not terrible at all. i think some of it can be rescued.


"Ultravox is a band too fundamentally uninteresting for anybody to save".
—Lester Bangs, on Brian Eno's production on some of the group's songs. :D

confusion is next 03.04.2015 04:13 AM

 

Genteel Death 03.04.2015 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
WE KNEW THAT ALREADY.



Yeah, it totally comes across that way.

Various - Neu Ist Zeit-Augsburg

gmku 03.04.2015 09:49 AM

I can empathize, Severian. I think many people can, actually! I feel like a great underachiever compared to many of my peers, often. Then other times I look back over the arc of a lifetime and I'm quite impressed with what I've been able to do, not least of which has been to make a long and productive career from a bachelor's in English and journalism! Not an easy field to make a lasting career in.

Also, I keep looking forward. At 60, I feel in many ways that I've only begun, and I intend to keep going for a long time to come. Like my golden retriever, I remain eternally optimistic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
You know, I actually think this is kind of a "thing with me."

I am ashamed of my age. In more ways than I'm willing to admit. I'm ashamed of the fact that I have been roughly 5 years older than 85% of my co-workers over the last five years. I feel constantly guilty for how little I've accomplished in my life... so much of what I have accomplished has been purely for the sake of other people. And I'm ashamed that so few of the people that I've re-arranged my life for seem to be willing to even entertain the idea of supporting me (emotionally) while I pursue my own goals.

So while I wasn't truly slamming Steely Dan, and I was, more than anything, responding with self-deprecating remarks to Genteel's comment about gmku being old enough to be my father (which I suppose he is, and good on him for getting that far), I think it's true that I struggle with a covert and warped form of ageism that is a function of my own inability to feel content with myself or my life.

All I see is a big ticking clock.

I'm going through some shit right now. Sorry everyone.


rebeccagotcursedout 03.04.2015 11:23 PM

Pixes Surfer Rosa

just as good as ever

Genteel Death 03.05.2015 03:14 PM

A track by UUUUUU called ''Beauty'' from his ''Off the Xerophytic Blooming''. One of the most beautiful things to come out of a poster on this board, in my opinion. When Derek uploaded the EP on here or FB a few years ago (can't remember) I still hadn't realised what a talented musician he is, let alone his skills at recording himself so well. Totally deserving a proper release and a party to follow.

The Soup Nazi 03.06.2015 06:40 PM

 

Bytor Peltor 03.06.2015 06:50 PM

Listening to this on a cool but beautiful Friday evening getting ready to head to my daughters dance performance. Tonight I'm helping shoot video :)

 

rebeccagotcursedout 03.06.2015 10:38 PM

wonderful ass - prince

fuck sir mix alot or any songs about rumps and other total devotion to the ass.

Mortte Jousimo 03.07.2015 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I can empathize, Severian. I think many people can, actually! I feel like a great underachiever compared to many of my peers, often. Then other times I look back over the arc of a lifetime and I'm quite impressed with what I've been able to do, not least of which has been to make a long and productive career from a bachelor's in English and journalism! Not an easy field to make a lasting career in.

Also, I keep looking forward. At 60, I feel in many ways that I've only begun, and I intend to keep going for a long time to come. Like my golden retriever, I remain eternally optimistic.

I think one of the today´s people´s big problem seem to be (at least in the western countries) that everybody´s must achieve something big. I don´t think I have achieved anything real big but still I think I have had interesting life as this far. And I think there is still coming interesting things into my life and that´s enough to me.

_tunic_ 03.07.2015 07:35 AM

Take The Feelies Bowling (take them bowling)



it took me 35 minutes to realize that there still is a second drummer in the Feeleis

demonrail666 03.07.2015 12:10 PM

 


Grand Magus - The Hunt

Sometimes only power-metal will do.

confusion is next 03.08.2015 05:43 AM

 


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth