Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Everything about Hits Are For Squares! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21129)

tasteinmen 04.20.2008 05:41 AM

i thought we established its not a covers album?

I wonder if courtney love selected a track, does anybody know if Kim is friends with her? i was under the impression she was from an interview i watched.

viewtiful_alan 04.22.2008 04:50 PM

Hm... since we all own the albums anyways, I don't see what the big fuss is about. It'd be one thing if the band picked the songs, but they didn't.
I'll pick this up for superstar and the unreleased song, since those are the only ones I don't have on cd.

deflinus 04.22.2008 05:13 PM

no eric's trip? what the hell is the point of this stupid cd anyway?

just give me the new song

mil_pl 04.23.2008 01:52 AM

viewtiful_alan: they'll be COVERS! ! !

Chris Lawrence 04.23.2008 02:04 AM

prove it.

viewtiful_alan 04.23.2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mil_pl
viewtiful_alan: they'll be COVERS! ! !

That seems pretty unfounded....

tasteinmen 04.23.2008 09:51 PM

do you think the new track will end up being a bonus track on the UK edition of their next album?

Dead-Air 04.23.2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasteinmen
i thought we established its not a covers album?

I wonder if courtney love selected a track, does anybody know if Kim is friends with her? i was under the impression she was from an interview i watched.

I'm sure Courtney didn't pick a track, and I don't think anybody is friends with her anymore at this point. Way back when she was on friendly terms with Sonic Youth, but she knew how to wear that mightily thin, and if you read the Lollapalooza '95 tour diaries, it's pretty clear they'd had it with her.

skipvacuum 05.18.2008 05:23 AM

howdy,not too long ago,the wonderful MOSHE had a post on the board about starbucks giving up on music and cd's.so i'm posting here to ask if the "hits are for squares" cd will still be released..i recall hearing it was coming out in june..i went to the starbucks/hearmusic site and they have releases listed until june 10th...no sonic youth...if u type them in the search on starbucks nothing comes up either.if anyone knows i'd love to hear about it.i wrote starbucks when i first heard about the sy cd..and to my suprise they wrote back...but didn't have any info on the sonic youth cd...i might drop em a line again and see if they know now.....if they reply i'll let y'all know

_slavo_ 05.18.2008 05:44 AM

The tracklist looks a bit strange to me.

Pessimist 05.18.2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipvacuum
howdy,not too long ago,the wonderful MOSHE had a post on the board about starbucks giving up on music and cd's.so i'm posting here to ask if the "hits are for squares" cd will still be released..i recall hearing it was coming out in june..i went to the starbucks/hearmusic site and they have releases listed until june 10th...no sonic youth...if u type them in the search on starbucks nothing comes up either.if anyone knows i'd love to hear about it.i wrote starbucks when i first heard about the sy cd..and to my suprise they wrote back...but didn't have any info on the sonic youth cd...i might drop em a line again and see if they know now.....if they reply i'll let y'all know

That's definitely weird.

mil_pl 05.18.2008 12:31 PM

its silent about hits are for squares, and that its the one fact for now.

Dead-Air 05.19.2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipvacuum

Now that would be ingenious marketing! If there was no album, and they just paid Sonic Youth to agree to say there was, and all 150 Sonic Youth fans globally who don't already go to Starbucks, but who really want a celebrity picked compilation, started going in there every day to see if it came in... Smells like some inevitable frapucino purchases!

scott v 05.19.2008 01:42 PM

to me this is a cd for serious noobs... i guess there's nothing wrong with that and i don't necessarily have a problem with it... one new track and a bunch of stuff from previous albums with celebrity choices and liner notes, not enough for me to go out of my way to go to starbucks (i prefer tim horton's anyway) and pick this up, and if its at a standard price for a cd? especially not worth it (again) for me... maybe if the new track was 30-40 minutes long...

SonicBebs 05.20.2008 04:02 AM

so let me get this straight

Its a picture 'pop up' book where celebs have done pictorial interpretations of SY tracks? And they did it Live, and a recording of the sessions is going on the Starbucks site? Cool.

whorefrost 05.20.2008 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
so let me get this straight

Its a picture 'pop up' book where celebs have done pictorial interpretations of SY tracks? And they did it Live, and a recording of the sessions is going on the Starbucks site? Cool.

That's pretty much completely correct, yes.

nicfit 05.20.2008 05:43 AM

you forgot "strawberry-flavored pop-up book".

mil_pl 05.20.2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
That's pretty much completely correct, yes.

wait! this will be the live version of sy songs?!

Rob Instigator 05.20.2008 03:41 PM

it will be a all cover album, each song interpreted by Scarlett Johnansen

Rob Instigator 05.20.2008 03:42 PM

in her husky, cock-throat voice