Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do you think Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist ever? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13657)

atari 2600 06.06.2007 11:14 AM

Duh. You think that's a point?

I never stated that Hendrix influenced the Velvets with the feedback and was responsible for their whole sound. That would be ridiculous. The Velvet Undergorund were already making music well before Hendrix was even known. I'm sure he had some bit of influence along the way, but The Velvet Undergound had their own thing. Furthermore, in my opinon, The Velvet Underground put out better records than Hendrix ever did.

I did write this though (it's at the top of the page):
It's just about being cognizant of and giving the respect that's due. I don't know why you have to bring in all this other baggage when it's merely a plain fact to anyone that knows anything about playing a guitar.

I've also written before (when other piss-ants started this same whiny, misinformed brouhaha before) that Hendrix is undeniably the best, and that, in all likelihood, there will never be a greater guitarist...ever.

demonrail666 06.06.2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Duh. You think that's a point?

I never stated that Hendrix influenced the Velvets with the feedback and was responsible for their whole sound. That would be ridiculous. The Velvet Undergorund were already making music well before Hendrix was even known. I'm sure he had some bit of influence along the way, but The Velvet UNdergound had their own thing. Furthermore, The Velvet Undergorund put out better records than Hendrix ever did.

I did write this though (it's at the top of the page):
It's just about being cognizant of and giving the respect that's due. I don't know why you have to bring in all this other baggage just to state a plain fact to anyone that knows anything about playing a guitar.

I know, I was responding to something Rob Instigator posted, but forgot to press the quote button!

atari 2600 06.06.2007 11:22 AM

Well, anyone AFTER Hendrix does owe him. Like Rob mentioned, he's a revolutionary trailblazer.

Tokolosh 06.06.2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Jimi hendrix was the greatest guitarist ever. Please do not forget that in his short 27 years he played with everyone from blues acts to jazz bands to little richard to the experience, band of gypsies, etc. He was a genius, undoubtedly, and he is most definitely in the running for BEST GUITARIST EVER and if you do not think so then you are CRAZY and deluded or sme sort of hipster than wants to name drop some japanese noise guy.

without jimi hendrix NONE of the music we listen to and love (sonic skronk music) would have come about. there would ne no velvets, there would be no sonic youth.

Jimi Hendrix died at age 27, if he had lived, he woudl be playing free jazz improv concerts with lee ranaldo and thurston and blowing their asses out of the water.

Jimi played lead and ryhtm at the same time, with a right handed guitar backwards and strung upside down. self taught.

Long live Jimi.

Jimi, please forgive them for they know not what they do.

Ha!Ha! You tell these hipsters Rob. Classic post! :D

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Hendrix was undoubtedy responsible for changing vast swathes of rock music, but not all of it.

Exactly what I'm thinking, but these half-arsed documentaries make it sound and look like after him there was nothing. Sure if he was 'THE' revolutionary guitarist, he would have brought in a positive revolution to those who play the guitar, instead of countless of lonely men in their bedrooms pretending to be playing at Woodstock. Again, I like some Jimi Hendrix, but there are countless guitarists that I find much more interesting. Sometimes his music sounds like boring guitar-wank to me, and it certainly is not the end of the world.

atari 2600 06.06.2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

I know, I was responding to something Rob Instigator posted, but forgot to press the quote button!

Yeah, that's so cool how you quote me, but then change your own previous post.

demonrail666 06.06.2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

anyone AFTER Hendrix does owe him. Like Rob mentioned, he's a revolutionary trailblazer.

I don't think you even believe that yourself. There are whole areas of rock that owe next to nothing to Hendrix. What about bands like Wire or The Slits?

Rob Instigator 06.06.2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Answer my question, Roberta. Where did you read about Lou Reed storming off a Hendrix gig in a fit of jelousy?

15 page rolling stone article about two years ago, anniversary of Are You Experienced. Jimi's on the cover of it.

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 11:38 AM

And where did they get the quote from? Lou Reed is a fan of Hendrix, by the way.

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Well, anyone AFTER Hendrix does owe him. Like Rob mentioned, he's a revolutionary trailblazer.

You ought to get back to the future, man. The sixties were over years ago.

Rob Instigator 06.06.2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

To say that a band are influenced by other bands or musicians is one thing, and I'm sure that to a certain degree Lou Reed heard and considered what Hendrix was doing. But to say that the Velvet's wouldn't have existed without him is frankly absurd considering that a massive bulk of their influences came from elsewhere.

Hendrix was undoubtedy responsible for changing vast swathes of rock music, but not all of it.

that is very true, but since NOONE has changed ALL of it, and Jimi changed the most of any guitarist in HISTORY, then he is the greatest guitarist ever. (so far, of course)

floatingslowly 06.06.2007 11:43 AM

I like Jimi. he was a sinistral genius.

however, I think that George Clinton is extremely underrated in comparison.

Funkadelic (not Parliament or Parliament Funkadelic...just Funkadelic) put out far better records than Jimi and his two henchmen did. the blend of rock, soul and blues just sounds more carefully crafted than Jimi's to me.

however, if put head-to-head in a freestyle guitar deathmatch.....Jimi might win. TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVE.

demonrail666 06.06.2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

that is very true, but since NOONE has changed ALL of it, and Jimi changed the most of any guitarist in HISTORY, then he is the greatest guitarist ever. (so far, of course)

Well, I'd agree with that. But this thread seemed to be going down a path where it was suggested that EVERYONE involved in rock music post-Hendrix owed some kind of a debt to him. And that's something I CAN'T agree with.

atari 2600 06.06.2007 11:47 AM

anyone AFTER Hendrix known for guitar playing, of course, owes him something...he is either emulated to some degree or he is a force that was reacted against due to a performer's limitations...don't mince my words on purpose...only piss-ants do such things.

The artist builds on the important work that came before and also adds something novel to make their own art valid.

By the way, ever figure out those barre chords?:rolleyes:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1542416

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

I think Keiji Haino has a much wilder guitar style than Hendrix ever had, Johnny Marr a more varied style and Lee Ranaldo or Thurston Moore a much more potent way of making you feel dizzy while listening to guitar sounds. And this is to name just a few of the usual suspects (Branca etc etc spring to mind too).

Rob Instigator 06.06.2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

I don't think you even believe that yourself. There are whole areas of rock that owe next to nothing to Hendrix. What about bands like Wire or The Slits?

wire and the slits and bands like that owe EVERYTHING to another black guitar master from the USA, CHUCK BERRY.

so between chuck berry and jimi hendrix, you can cover a LOT of ground!!!!

sarrampkrop, how in the fucking world am I supposed to get sources for a rolling stone article that was published years ago? shit.

Rob Instigator 06.06.2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I think Keiji Haino has a much wilder guitar style than Hendrix ever had, Johnny Marr a more varied style and Lee Ranaldo or Thurston Moore a much more potent way of making you feel dizzy while listening to guitar sounds. And this is to name just a few of the usual suspects (Branca etc etc spring to mind too).

no fucking shit! where do you think it BEGINS though?
where do you think they all sprang from????
Jimi was blowing minds and freaking out WILDLY while opeople were still singing doo wop.

JIMI

That is like saying that nirvna had a much more varied guitar sound than the stooges. so what?

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 11:56 AM

Even if we took it from the perspective of Jimi Hendrix having started it all (and I don't think he has AT ALL), once you are bettered by the pupil, you cease being the best and pass the mantle on to others. Jimi Hendrix's influence on music is CERTAINLY not as big as some people make it out to be.

demonrail666 06.06.2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

he is either emulated to some degree or he is a force that was reacted against due to a performer's limitations

So, are you saying that guitar players who choose not to in some way emulate Hendrix are only doing so because of their own technical limitations?

!@#$%! 06.06.2007 12:00 PM

i was looking for rolling stone online material didn't found that but found this, which is an excerpt:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto..._hendrix/print

will post more later

here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/13389612/the_new_guitar_gods_john_mayer_john_frusciante_and _derek_trucks/print

this poll is a bit of ass but whatever:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...ts_of_all_time