Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What do you think of tool? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33212)

loubarret 07.29.2009 04:33 AM

What do you think of tool?

Just popped into my mind, do you guys like tool or bloody hate them?

I am between both.

jerf 07.29.2009 04:34 AM

fucking love them.

lateralus is my favorite album of the past decade. hands down the best live band too.

loubarret 07.29.2009 04:49 AM

I am more a Undertow man but nowadays they are just so...irritating.

Derek 07.29.2009 05:28 AM

Mehh.

Youth_Against_Facism 07.29.2009 05:29 AM

Awesomeness.

pbradley 07.29.2009 05:31 AM

I like Aenima and some of Undertow but the rest is pretty shit.

loubarret 07.29.2009 05:39 AM

I think the same about them. Even A Perfect Circle had their moments it also was slighty runned by some afwul Maynard lyrics

phoenix 07.29.2009 07:10 AM

take it or leave it. don't love but don't hate. I certainly wouldn't name them if I had to list bands or musicians I 'liked'.

atsonicpark 07.29.2009 07:45 AM

Love 'em. Aenima is one of the best albums ever. They're brilliant. One of the best guitar players ever (very simple riffing but he always knows EXACTLY what to play, and some of their songs have 15-20 great riffs). Very interesting bassist and an insanely talented drummer. Very unique production, Maynard sounds good usually. I've posted my thoughts more on this thread:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...ghlight=aenima (this one has 173 replies!)

And then there are these if you want to read further:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...ghlight=aenima
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...ghlight=aenima

super_charger 07.29.2009 07:57 AM

I liked Aenima back when it first came out but I haven't been that impressed with anything they've done since although I haven't given them much of a chance either.

loubarret 07.29.2009 07:59 AM

Aenima is a great record(stinkfist is awsome) but after that everything wentdownhill in my opion

noisereductions 07.29.2009 08:20 AM

I like them when I hear them. But it's rare that I think to listen to them on my own. My wife was a huge fan in high school, so we have a lot of their stuff.

noisereductions 07.29.2009 08:20 AM

ps, when I do listen to them, it usually gives me Melvins cravings.

pbradley 07.29.2009 08:25 AM

obligatory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQYpVLETIq0

wellcharge 07.29.2009 08:35 AM

i don't like them at all

Rob Instigator 07.29.2009 09:20 AM

I despise/loathe/hate/abhor them to an extent not seen since the first time I saw Family Guy

GeneticKiss 07.29.2009 12:46 PM

One of the more interesting bands in modern heavy rock. They actually put some thought into what they do. As for lyrics, they don't really affect me one way or another.

joe11121 07.29.2009 01:10 PM

They're a pretty good band. Aenima is their best

Lamont Cranston 07.29.2009 01:31 PM

aren't their fans supposed to be dicks? and 10,000 days was pretty meh

SuperCreep 07.29.2009 01:36 PM

I used to love them when I was about 12-16, but I can't relate to any of that shit anymore.

Jeremy 07.29.2009 01:40 PM

I have a good friend who LOVES them. Constantly makes fun of me for not thinking they are amazing, hates any music I listen to.

I have yet to see the big deal about Tool. Sure, some of their riffs are kinda cool, but in the primary sense no. His lyrics are just beyond awful and his voice annoys me. Even though some enjoy the production of their records I don't at all.

~Jeremy~

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.29.2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I like Aenima and some of Undertow but the rest is pretty shit.

you lie! :)

is one of the greatest metal albums of all time with some of the most profound lyrics in american music. It is like an existential trip through Saint Origen the Theologian's notebooks while taking mushrooms..

tool is the best band to come out of contemporary metal in the US. no one is like them, their math rock combined with startlingly poignant lyrics regarding the spirituality of existence (The Patient, The Grudge, Lateralus, Parabola, Reflection..) I wish I could go see them at this festival in two weeks here near LA, but I do not have that kind of $$$, like my nigga said, if you aint got the doh-rei-me..

Pax Americana 07.29.2009 07:04 PM

Meh. I like some stuff they do. And yeah, some of their fans are fucking pricks.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.29.2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax Americana
Meh. I like some stuff they do. And yeah, some of their fans are fucking pricks.

agreed. I am engulfed by the Dead's music but avoid deadheads like the plague.. but you can only judge art on its own merits, not the after-effects.

demonrail666 07.29.2009 07:14 PM

i once had to sit through atool dvd with someone who was telling me they were the greatest band on earth. i felt horrible.

EVOLghost 07.29.2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I like them when I hear them. But it's rare that I think to listen to them on my own.

I think I'd have to say the same

atsonicpark 07.29.2009 10:31 PM

This thread is turning exactly into the "i hate tool" thread. Always a wonder why everyone enjoys repeating themself..

Dead-Air 07.29.2009 10:37 PM

I think they're o.k. and really liked some of Lateralus. Saw the guitar player with the Melvins and he held his own. Sometimes the singer is annoying though.

chairman of the bored 07.29.2009 10:48 PM

"is one of the greatest metal albums of all time with some of the most profound lyrics in american music. It is like an existential trip through Saint Origen the Theologian's notebooks while taking mushrooms.."

this sounds like someone making fun of tool fans

atsonicpark 07.29.2009 11:00 PM

They really are brilliant songwriters, though.

"pushit" is amazing. I challenge any band to write a song that emotionally, structurally complex and make it not sound like a complete fucking mess.

chairman of the bored 07.29.2009 11:01 PM

estranged by guns n roses....only half joking

pbradley 07.29.2009 11:06 PM

Lateralus blows.

jerf 07.29.2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Lateralus blows

away all other bands

atsonicpark 07.29.2009 11:12 PM

Actually, chairman, Estranged is amazing. That's always been one of my favorite songs.......... Anyway... See, the brilliance of Tool, and they're obviously not the only band that does this.. but let me reference "Pushit" again.. or "Eulogy"... they have a lot of songs that never repeat. The songs flow, organically, from one section to another, to another, to another, to another... now, obviously, bands have been doing this since music existed, it's not some mindblowing, new technique that Tool invented. But few bands do it so well. THeir songs, literally, tell a story. And they never have ugly, throwaway parts in their music (not until 10,000 Days at least). All the songs flow so naturally. They really are brilliant musicians.

Also, Lateralus is absolutely amazing. It's extremely soft compared to all their other stuff ('cept for Ticks and Leeches) but it has their most powerful compositions on it. That minute-long scream in "The Grudge" is unbelievable, as is the guitar part that comes in directly after the quiet part in "Ticks and Leeches". The 11-minute "Triad" encompasses everything that makes Tool awesome. The album is a bit too long (79:59.9999! The fuck?! I played the disc on my computer once and it read the album as 80:01!) but eh. When so much of it is amazing, who cares? Honestly, it's not my favorite album by them, but it is probably their best. They removed all the filler (the "Filler" here is still musical), and it has their best songwriting, ever.

Their only real misstep is 10,000 Days. It has a few good songs, a few GREAT songs (love the opening track, with the dual guitar lines), but ... most of it is chunky, throwaway riffing. Sounds like a parody of Tool. Actually, no, it sounds like a band who maybe wanted to return to their "early" sound but were still in the Lateralus mindset so they made these long, epic songs without any thought put into the actual process of songwriting. You know what I said in the first paragraph about Tool's brilliant, organic, natural, flowing songwriting? Yeah. Almost none of that on 10,000 Days.

In all seriousness, Tool does blow away 99.9% of other bands out there. They're just too great. They're easily one of the best bands ever.

But I only really listen to 'em like once every 3 years.

DeadDiscoDildo 07.29.2009 11:30 PM

Tool. meh, no thanks.

GeneticKiss 07.29.2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Actually, chairman, Estranged is amazing. That's always been one of my favorite songs.......... Anyway... See, the brilliance of Tool, and they're obviously not the only band that does this.. but let me reference "Pushit" again.. or "Eulogy"... they have a lot of songs that never repeat. The songs flow, organically, from one section to another, to another, to another, to another... now, obviously, bands have been doing this since music existed, it's not some mindblowing, new technique that Tool invented. But few bands do it so well. THeir songs, literally, tell a story. And they never have ugly, throwaway parts in their music (not until 10,000 Days at least). All the songs flow so naturally. They really are brilliant musicians.

Also, Lateralus is absolutely amazing. It's extremely soft compared to all their other stuff ('cept for Ticks and Leeches) but it has their most powerful compositions on it. That minute-long scream in "The Grudge" is unbelievable, as is the guitar part that comes in directly after the quiet part in "Ticks and Leeches". The 11-minute "Triad" encompasses everything that makes Tool awesome. The album is a bit too long (79:59.9999! The fuck?! I played the disc on my computer once and it read the album as 80:01!) but eh. When so much of it is amazing, who cares? Honestly, it's not my favorite album by them, but it is probably their best. They removed all the filler (the "Filler" here is still musical), and it has their best songwriting, ever.

Their only real misstep is 10,000 Days. It has a few good songs, a few GREAT songs (love the opening track, with the dual guitar lines), but ... most of it is chunky, throwaway riffing. Sounds like a parody of Tool. Actually, no, it sounds like a band who maybe wanted to return to their "early" sound but were still in the Lateralus mindset so they made these long, epic songs without any thought put into the actual process of songwriting. You know what I said in the first paragraph about Tool's brilliant, organic, natural, flowing songwriting? Yeah. Almost none of that on 10,000 Days.

In all seriousness, Tool does blow away 99.9% of other bands out there. They're just too great. They're easily one of the best bands ever.

But I only really listen to 'em like once every 3 years.

What about Right In Two?

atsonicpark 07.30.2009 12:06 AM

it's a bong ripper sure

Green Magnesium 07.30.2009 01:00 AM

I'm actually rather embarrassed to admit this, but I am not at all familiar with Tool, like AT ALL. I mean, I know the name and that they're rather popular and I can even picture their emblem in my head... I am just not at all familiar with their music.

If a Tool song came on the radio I would not recognize it as a Tool song. If I have heard them, I didn't realize it was them at the time.

Where's a good place for someone to start? I usually start at the beginning... but any other ideas?

GeneticKiss 07.30.2009 01:28 AM

Aenima is their most popular.

Undertow is their first full length, but it has some "metal" types of moments atypical of most of their work (i.e. the thrashy burst in the middle of Crawl Away-but it's cool for that song).

Lateralus and 10,000 Days are awesome too, but they might be a bit difficult for a beginner.

So, I say Aenima.

GeneticKiss 07.30.2009 01:36 AM

That sounds more like a shortcut to insanity.