Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Digesting the new Walkmen album (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=78452)

E. Noisefield 06.03.2012 05:41 PM

Digesting the new Walkmen album

Hey guys, so a bunch of new albums have come out in recent weeks from a bunch of "oldies-but-goodies" (ie pretty well known or already well established bands).

There have been new releases from Sigur Ros, Japandroids, El-p, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, etc. but the album that I've spun the most this week has been the new release by the Walkmen, Heaven.

I never paid much attention to these guys util a few years back, because all their stuff sounded like the standard indie fare one can find literally everywhere already. But Lisbon was a fantastic album, which utilized silence and space really well (like Kill the Moonlight-era Spoon) so I was looking forward to Heaven.
So I picked it up, and it really sounds like kind of an afterthought to Lisbon. There's not a lot of new or different sounding rock music on here, and it's just plain not as good as Lisbon, but the songs are growing on me.

EDIT: If music can be judged by its 'listenability' and propensity for getting *stuck in your head like crazy* this is a really good album. Still, a week later its stuck in there! Bahh!! :o

Anybody else check this out and have an opinion?
No need to post comments about how crap and boring and Pavement-like they are; I'm just interested in talking with people who like them about this new album!!

Severian 06.05.2012 07:33 PM

Sorry, I'd love to support your effort, but I only have ears for Liars at the moment.

Severian 06.06.2012 09:25 AM

Hey I'm listening to this on the way to the office. It definitely has some catchy songs, but you're right that it plays like a Lisbon b-sides record. Not bad at all, but not as good as its predecessor either. What's with the unabashed Velvet Underground rips and theI Minus 5 imitation vocals on the first track?

SonicBebs 06.07.2012 01:20 AM

Haven't heard it yet but really looking forward to it. I loved Lisbon and A Hundred Miles Off

louder 06.07.2012 01:28 AM

The Stoned Immaculate was pretty dope for a couple of listens, but soon i realized it's "just another Curren$y album". so maybe i'll check this out soon.

Severian 06.07.2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
The Stoned Immaculate was pretty dope for a couple of listens, but soon i realized it's "just another Curren$y album". so maybe i'll check this out soon.

I acrually think Stoned Immaculate is one of the best hip hop albums this of the year. I've been fucking myself in the ears with it for a week straight.

Did you receive my personal message by chance?

louder 06.07.2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I acrually think Stoned Immaculate is one of the best hip hop albums this of the year. I've been fucking myself in the ears with it for a week straight.

Did you receive my personal message by chance?

i really like the song with 2 Chainz. it's a good album, just not as groundbreaking as Pilot Talk was.

and nope. :confused:

EDIT: just realized my inbox was full, cleared some PM's. try again.

EVOLghost 06.07.2012 07:57 AM

I'm digestin' some muthafuggin' oatmeal n raisins.

truncated 06.10.2012 02:37 PM

I'm riding a negativity wave today. Utterly unimpressed with The Walkmen. Last time I listened to them was probably four years ago, one song, and I immediately forgot they existed.

Convince me.

Severian 06.10.2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
I'm riding a negativity wave today. Utterly unimpressed with The Walkmen. Last time I listened to them was probably four years ago, one song, and I immediately forgot they existed.

Convince me.

It's no secret that they're an entirely forgettable band. Not good enough to warrant convincing. If youI really want toto know just listen to Lisbon. If you don't like it there's no point in looking into them any further.

Screaming Skull 06.11.2012 03:25 PM

I would contend that 90% of what The Walkmen have put out is incredibly solid. I would start here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWR1h-5EzUo

If you don't like this, move on. If you like it, check out 'Bows + Arrows'. And then 'You & Me'. And then 'Lisbon'. And then 'Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone'.

E. Noisefield 06.11.2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
I would contend that 90% of what The Walkmen have put out is incredibly solid. I would start here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWR1h-5EzUo

If you don't like this, move on. If you like it, check out 'Bows + Arrows'. And then 'You & Me'. And then 'Lisbon'. And then 'Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone'.

Yeah, I'm more with this ^ guy.. yes, at first i thought they were dull, but even the pre-Bows + Arrows material is at least OK! I admit they're not experimental or particularly daring, but they did evolve into something pretty solid.

I can't get these songs out of my head!