Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 07.13.2017 09:14 AM

Buffy really got good season 3 and onwards. first two were meh

!@#$%! 07.13.2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
The '90sness was dragging me down a bit.

what's wrong with the 90s? did you hate them? and were you in high school?

if so, buffy is in many ways all about the perils of high school. in the 90s of course--they still had floppy disks!

a pity you didn't follow through cuz it only gets better, characters shape up and get interesting, grow, multiply, etc. (and some are very fucking annoying too).

but spike! you must watch until spike appears. come on!

noisereductions 07.13.2017 01:38 PM

Buffy rules.

demonrail666 07.13.2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
im sorta rewatching MARS ATTACKS! right now, as a waker upper

still funny after all these years, and reminds me of the old pre-gentrification DC with its ruined buildings

I don't know what my problem is with that film. It ticks loads of boxes but I can never get into it, however many times I try.

!@#$%! 07.13.2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't know what my problem is with that film. It ticks loads of boxes but I can never get into it, however many times I try.

the humor in it is goofy, and that's not your bag. the witty stuff you prefer is generally lacking.

it's not a genius movie for me or anything, just stupid fun.

read about the original trading cards this morning. they didn't really have a plot either.

Rob Instigator 07.13.2017 03:24 PM

Mars Attacks was the first time i saw Jack Black

!@#$%! 07.14.2017 10:39 AM

monty python's LIFE OF BRIAN, again

there's always some new little joke to laugh about. this time the latin declensions had me going. and the mockery of the useless left ha ha ha. and WHAT DID THE ROMANS EVER DO FOR US?

haa haaaa haaaa

and of course that great song at the end

tw2113 07.15.2017 09:20 PM

Young Einstein - still a classic to me no matter what anyone may say.
The Laughing Woman - quite an interesting "old" one. Forget what exactly brought me to it, outside of possibly a youtube snippet for one scene.

Severian 07.15.2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Young Einstein - still a classic to me no matter what anyone may say.
The Laughing Woman - quite an interesting "old" one. Forget what exactly brought me to it, outside of possibly a youtube snippet for one scene.

I almost said, "Of COURSE it's a classic!" thinking I'd read Young Frankenstein.

Then I realized you were talking about the Yahoo Serious Australian rock n' roll Einstein movie from like 1990, and I LOLd my ass off.

You are entitled to your opinon of course, but I have never heard anyone refer to that movie as anything even vaguely resembling passable. I don't actually remember it well enough to give you any shit, though. Wonder if it's on Netflix. :)

!@#$%! 07.15.2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Buffy rules.

just came in to remind everyone that yes

demonrail666 07.16.2017 12:48 PM

Penda's Fen

Originally produced for television by the BBC, this really belongs in the TV thread, but its DVD release makes it more a movie now.

Trust me on this one, if you're a fan of a certain kind of Brit-weirdness (think The Wicker Man, some of the more out-there, pre-reboot Dr Who stories, all things Nigel Kneale) this is an absolute 100% must!

ilduclo 07.16.2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

just came in to remind everyone that yes

a-yup!!

LifeDistortion 07.16.2017 02:02 PM

I saw Moana last night and damn if that movie wasn't enjoyable as hell. I really enjoyed the couple moments where Disney pokes fun of their past. Like when Moana says "I'm not a princess" and Maui goes "You're wearing a dress and have an animal companion, you're a princess". And Disney is still at the top of their game when it comes to animation, some of those images, particularly the water animation was beautiful.

!@#$%! 07.16.2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Penda's Fen

Originally produced for television by the BBC, this really belongs in the TV thread, but its DVD release makes it more a movie now.

Trust me on this one, if you're a fan of a certain kind of Brit-weirdness (think The Wicker Man, some of the more out-there, pre-reboot Dr Who stories, all things Nigel Kneale) this is an absolute 100% must!

oh fuck yeah. halloween season you think? is it eerie?

Severian 07.16.2017 04:37 PM

I've always wanted to see Penda's Fen.

Does it require a great deal of knowledge about pre-Norman history in order to appreciate it? Cuz I'm ... rusty.

!@#$%! 07.16.2017 05:15 PM

on breaking news, george romero is now about to rise as a zombie :(

demonrail666 07.16.2017 06:40 PM

If anything it's more fantasy than horror, but even that doesn't really describe it. It's essentially a critique of an English identity.built around the church rather than paganism. So there's clear overlap with The Wicker Man, although Penda's Fen goes much deeper with its arguments. They'd make an absolutely incredible double bill though. But probably not what you'd be looking for on Halloween.

As a possible Halloween recommendation, have you seen the original.Carnival of Souls? Definitely horror and genuinely creepy/odd/weird.

!@#$%! 07.16.2017 06:49 PM

aahhhhhhhhh.... that sounds ultra-interesting.

been looking for it already but it's not available yet in my various rental services-- not even listed as "save for when available." i'll keep looking though, seems to be on youtube (but uffff, youtube...)

would you triple that bill with excalibur?? the 80s one w/ merlin.

never seen carnival of souls, but i'll check out & add. "halloween" is a whole season for me, covering the early fall to the solstice more or less. starts with tragedies and gets gorier by the week ha ha ha ha ha. then it breaks into winter satire. i'm crazy, i know, but somehow it works...

Severian 07.16.2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

on breaking news, george romero is now about to rise as a zombie :(

Too soon :(

Severian 07.16.2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

aahhhhhhhhh.... that sounds ultra-interesting.

been looking for it already but it's not available yet in my various rental services-- not even listed as "save for when available." i'll keep looking though, seems to be on youtube (but uffff, youtube...)

would you triple that bill with excalibur?? the 80s one w/ merlin.

never seen carnival of souls, but i'll check out & add. "halloween" is a whole season for me, covering the early fall to the solstice more or less. starts with tragedies and gets gorier by the week ha ha ha ha ha. then it breaks into winter satire. i'm crazy, i know, but somehow it works...

I just read an article about how YouTube and Google are essentially ripping off content creators from the past, present, and future, in ways that make being an up and coming artist in film/music about as financially viable as being a field slave. :(