Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Keeping It Simple 12.31.2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
A "reimagining".

How much different is it to the original? Is he less corrupt? Masturbates less?

sonic sphere 12.31.2009 04:54 PM

atsonicpark 12.31.2009 05:59 PM

It's a reboot of Bad Lieutenant, it has nothing to do with the original except he's a drug taking cop. No scenes are the same as the original. It's a decent film. Would be awful if Herzog wasn't involved, I'd imagine, since the few scenes of surrealism are what saves it from mediocrity. It's a pretty annoying film and way too long. I think I gave it a 7. Nowhere near as good as the first film with that title.

After Hours is decent. I think I gave that one a 7 too. It gets kinda tiresome and lame near the end. It reminds me a lot of Quick Change, that Bill Murray movie where he robs the bank as a clown, in that it's just constantly in motion, not stopping to take a breath, just running around the streets all hours of night and getting in all these different situations, has a similiar vibe and atmosphere. Jemina Pearl said her and Thurston watched After Hours and said it was the worst movie ever, but I'm curious about what movies she likes (Twilight, probably?).

davenotdead 12.31.2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
It's a reboot of Bad Lieutenant, it has nothing to do with the original except he's a drug taking cop. No scenes are the same as the original. It's a decent film. Would be awful if Herzog wasn't involved, I'd imagine, since the few scenes of surrealism are what saves it from mediocrity. It's a pretty annoying film and way too long. I think I gave it a 7. Nowhere near as good as the first film with that title.

After Hours is decent. I think I gave that one a 7 too. It gets kinda tiresome and lame near the end. It reminds me a lot of Quick Change, that Bill Murray movie where he robs the bank as a clown, in that it's just constantly in motion, not stopping to take a breath, just running around the streets all hours of night and getting in all these different situations, has a similiar vibe and atmosphere. Jemina Pearl said her and Thurston watched After Hours and said it was the worst movie ever, but I'm curious about what movies she likes (Twilight, probably?).

hahaha.... how many times has thurston been up in her ass do you think?

also, i don't think after hours was very good either... i think i need to see Quick Change... where does it rank among the Bill Murray canon?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.31.2009 08:04 PM

I haven't seen the original Bad Lieutenant but as others have said, Herzog's film isn't related. I'd probably give it an 8/10, and have to say that Nicolas Cage was really at the top of his game in this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Would be awful if Herzog wasn't involved, I'd imagine, since the few scenes of surrealism are what saves it from mediocrity.

I'd have to disagree, and say that the vulgar material that Herzog was working with, in contrast to the beauty behind his unique style are what really made this film shine. Sure, without Herzog directing this film wouldn't be nearly as entertaining, but can't that be said for much of his work?

atsonicpark 12.31.2009 10:17 PM

Quick Change is classic Bill Murray!

fugazifan 01.01.2010 02:29 AM

i thought Bad Lieutenant was pretty great. it was hard to disconnect from Ferrara's film. bit it was still great.
after hours was cool but a bit tiring. it reminds me of Clockwise with john cleese, although probably mostly because my girlfriend recommended both of them to me

Moshe 01.01.2010 02:39 AM

"A Serious Man" - one of the best movies from the Coen brothers.

looking glass spectacle 01.01.2010 02:54 AM

Mr. Bay, what you've just made is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your rambling, incoherent movie were you even close to anything that could be considered a well composed shot. Everyone in this theater is now dumber for having seen it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

fugazifan 01.01.2010 03:17 AM

nice billy madison reference:)

atsonicpark 01.01.2010 03:24 AM

Favorite films of the past decade..
everything by Giuseppe Andrews, Reflections of Evil, Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, Storytelling, Notre Musique, Eureka, Back Against the Wall, Id, Rampo Noir, Izo, Dolls, Achilles and the Tortoise, Bright Future, Wereckmeister Harmonies, Mysterious Skin, .Last Life in the Universe, Scumrock, A Family Finds Entertainment, Mulholland Drive, Spacedisco One, No Country for Old Men, La Vie Nouvelle, The Isle, Survive Style 5+, Mirrored Mind, Peppermint Candy, Strange Circus, Take Out, Inside, Brown Bunny, Songs From the Second Floor, Taste of Tea, and the Man Who Wasn't There.

Obviously forgetting a TON but oh well...

fugazifan 01.01.2010 03:28 AM

the two off the top of my heard that i liked the most were probably
It will end in blood
and
The Time That Remain: a chronicle of a present absentee

seriously people a masterpiece. i couldnt recomend this movie enough. a visualy brilliant dark comedy about a palestinian family. just a real cinematic gem.
im sure that there are plenty of other movies that i loved but im not thinking too hard right now

alteredcourse 01.01.2010 03:37 AM

^ I'd love to, but I can't find a place to download. Not sure my local rental would carry it, but that's my other option.

fugazifan 01.01.2010 03:41 AM

its not out on DVD yet i dont think. you might be able to find his previous film which is much more surreal called Divine intervention

atsonicpark 01.01.2010 04:08 AM

TORRENT TIME!

Last night I watched

6/10

alteredcourse 01.01.2010 04:09 AM

Thanks, F.

Where you do you get your torrents, young man?

atsonicpark 01.01.2010 05:02 AM

cg, kg, piratebay.. surrealmoviez (not torrents, just dl's), soulseek

TheFoxBen 01.01.2010 05:44 PM

9/10. Hello Mr. Heneke, your movie is awesome, I really enjoyed it and it didn't even disturb me. Now, I'm gonna watch your American remake of the movie because it looks awesome too, but what's the point of doing a shot-by-shot remake ? Anyway, that's cool because you're a good director.
PS: the remote part is one of the best scenes in the history of cinema.

atsonicpark 01.01.2010 07:11 PM

Heneke kinda annoys me, often in the same way Von Trier does... I've seen 4 of his films and they're all basically the same. The same message, the same ideas, etc. Sure are pretty to look at and quite interesting conceptually so I'll give him a pass but eh.

Best thing about Funny Games is Naked City.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.01.2010 07:54 PM