Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 12.22.2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
you always mention that. And I still haven't seen it. Maybe I'll add it to Netflix.

You can buy the dvd for like 50 cents almost everywhere. No one wants it. It's seriously good though.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.22.2009 10:13 PM

I watched Tom Green's Cancer Special on YouTube last week. Hadn't seen that in forever...it's a shame that part 3 is missing.

noisereductions 12.22.2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
I watched Tom Green's Cancer Special on YouTube last week. Hadn't seen that in forever...it's a shame that part 3 is missing.

I loved the Tom Green show. I even had the VHS of his best-of from the Canadian show and shit like that. But I couldn't watch the cancer special. I dig what he did. But as much as I love gore in cheesy movies, I can't handle actual medical shit.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.22.2009 10:38 PM

If you like his Canadian show, and have a few extra clams to kick around this holiday season, check out the "Tom Green - Inside and Outside the Box" DVD set. It'll keep you entertained for years to come.

atsonicpark 12.23.2009 12:28 AM

INSIDE AND OUTSIDE THE BOX is probably the best dvd set I own. 10 hours long, got it off of amazon for $6 (!) a while back. Totally worth it, probably the best comedy stuff ever released.

GeneticKiss 12.23.2009 02:52 AM

Choke

7.9/10

Not as good as Fight Club, but a good watch nonetheless...

Question: why does it seem like every pseudo-fucked up movie released this decade has had Radiohead in the soundtrack? Cases in point: "Everything In Its Right Place" in Vanilla Sky, Thom Yorke's "Black Swan" in A Scanner Darkly, "Reckoner" in Choke...

atsonicpark 12.23.2009 04:08 AM

Because most movies suck and Radiohead suck, so they go hand in hand. Because mainstream cinema is devoid of any original ideas, and Radiohead is respected by people who have not heard any of they stuff they rip off. Because Tom Cruise and Thom Yorke have the same first name.

I saw this awful movie called THE BRAVE ONE. Starring Jodie Foster and a bit similiar to Taxi Driver, actually (person in NYC wants to make a difference in their city and decides to become a vigilante). Anyway, this guy steals a girl's ipod, looks through the list, and goes "Radiohead? Bitch, I want you to give me some Radio head." An awful line that is repeated in a dream sequence later.

noisereductions 12.23.2009 08:09 AM

I've heard lots of stuff that Radiohead rip off. But I still respect them. Am I stupid?

SuperCreep 12.23.2009 09:44 AM

9.5/10

akprodr 12.23.2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagedbird
I watched "Wall Street" (dir. Oliver Stone) last weekend. Charlie Sheen is good as a financier on the fast-track to glory. Great footage of Manhattan.

The movie that ushered in the current financial fiasco! There's supposed to be a sequel (dir by Stone) coming out some time

GeneticKiss 12.23.2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Because most movies suck and Radiohead suck, so they go hand in hand. Because mainstream cinema is devoid of any original ideas, and Radiohead is respected by people who have not heard any of they stuff they rip off. Because Tom Cruise and Thom Yorke have the same first name.

I saw this awful movie called THE BRAVE ONE. Starring Jodie Foster and a bit similiar to Taxi Driver, actually (person in NYC wants to make a difference in their city and decides to become a vigilante). Anyway, this guy steals a girl's ipod, looks through the list, and goes "Radiohead? Bitch, I want you to give me some Radio head." An awful line that is repeated in a dream sequence later.

Well, I've heard a lot of stuff Radiohead have been influenced by, and it doesn't make me like them any less. Shrug. I guess I appreciate the fact that a mainstream (from time to time) band would be creative (admittedly, that's debatable) enough to try and include some more obscure influences in their music. And you have to admit that it takes balls to follow up a record many critics called a reinvention of guitar rock with an almost wholy electronic album. Maybe I'm just not on some relentless quest to have every band I listen to sound like something 100% original...

But yeah, that line does suck.

chicka 12.23.2009 01:11 PM

Made in 1948, we haven't learnt one thing from it!!!!

Just goes to show something refuse to change

Keeping It Simple 12.23.2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagedbird
I watched "Wall Street" (dir. Oliver Stone) last weekend. Charlie Sheen is good as a financier on the fast-track to glory. Great footage of Manhattan.

I've always considered "American Psycho" as a companion piece to "Wall Street".

atsonicpark 12.23.2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I've heard lots of stuff that Radiohead rip off. But I still respect them. Am I stupid?

No.

Note I'm talking about people out there (mainly critics) who seem to only praise Radiohead for their "originality". Genuinely liking their music is a lot different.

Also.. STALKER rules! MIRROR is my fav though.

Count Mecha 12.23.2009 09:47 PM

Two Arabian Knights. Probably one of the top five silent films ever. Which is sad, they almost never play it on TCM, brilliant movie.

atsonicpark 12.23.2009 09:51 PM

noisereductions 12.23.2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Genuinely liking their music is a lot different.

understood.

sonic sphere 12.25.2009 08:37 AM

Tokolosh 12.25.2009 09:04 AM

Not bad for a first attempt at filmmaking, Jennifer.
I'm not a very big fan of Bill Pullman (especially in Lost Highway)
He's too ordinary to be in a David Lynch film, but he was ok in this one.
I counted 19 actors in total.

chicka 12.25.2009 10:16 AM

all this talk about Freddy got Fingered reminded me of another fred classic
Drop Dead Fred with Phobe Cates. I'll have to go find it for a watch