Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

TheFoxBen 12.20.2009 12:27 PM

8/10. Opening shot + fat Orson Welles + the end = awesome.

noisereductions 12.20.2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

BTW, did any of you freaks notice Lindsay Lohan was in this for a brief second at the end of the film? I feel like they did that for me.

atsonicpark 12.20.2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
I've never enjoyed The Mighty Boosh myself.

Haha, what?

THis show is fucking brilliant! I don't even consider it a comedy, some parts of it are funny, but I'm more into the surreal looseness and the awesome musiccal numbers. The show is incredibly fascinating all the time, and the art direction (!) is topnotch.

Any episode with THE HITCHER is amazing... "I'M A REAL COCKNEY NUTJOB, I'LL CUT YOU UP!"

I dunno, I don't really ever laugh at movies (except Giuseppe's and the Corn Dog Man!) or shows, so I don't really base my preference on a show based on how "funny" it is, just how interesting it is. It's just so inspired, wacky, and it feels effortless. All the 4th wall breaking stuff, the weird nonsequiters.. everything about it is topnotch. Love it.

sonic sphere 12.21.2009 07:04 AM

Derek 12.21.2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Haha, what?

THis show is fucking brilliant! I don't even consider it a comedy, some parts of it are funny, but I'm more into the surreal looseness and the awesome musiccal numbers. The show is incredibly fascinating all the time, and the art direction (!) is topnotch.

Any episode with THE HITCHER is amazing... "I'M A REAL COCKNEY NUTJOB, I'LL CUT YOU UP!"

I dunno, I don't really ever laugh at movies (except Giuseppe's and the Corn Dog Man!) or shows, so I don't really base my preference on a show based on how "funny" it is, just how interesting it is. It's just so inspired, wacky, and it feels effortless. All the 4th wall breaking stuff, the weird nonsequiters.. everything about it is topnotch. Love it.

Fair enough haha, I just don't enjoy it.

noisereductions 12.21.2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere

wicked good. But HUSTLE N FLOW is even more brilliant.

auto-aim 12.21.2009 09:07 AM

yeah the boosh is one of the best tv shows of this generation! I didn't like it at first when it was sold to me as a comedy but when you understand that it's just a really surreal well made show with nice ideas then it becomes much more enjoyable. I'd be surprised if it isn't talked about like the young ones is now years down the line. Julien Barret is great also.

viewtiful_alan 12.21.2009 04:31 PM

8.5/10
It's better than you probably think it will be.

9/10
Criminally underrated. A new favorite

Derek 12.21.2009 04:45 PM

Barton Fink - 8/10

What a great movie! The way it evolves from a simple story about a struggling writer to some sort of surreal hellfest. Tons of food for thought.

atsonicpark 12.21.2009 06:35 PM

Yeah Barton Fink rules.

Also, Robocop underrated? Eh? It's rated just right! It's on Criterion, no Criterion movie is underrated... usually, quite the opposite actually.

GeneticKiss 12.21.2009 06:54 PM

Robocop is one of the most ridiculous mainstream movies of the 80s. When I first saw it, it was probably the most over the top movie I'd ever seen at the time, plus the satirical elements show that for all the violence and how inane the overall concept is, whomever created it had a head on their shoulders (I know Paul Verhoven (sp?) directed it, but I don't know for sure if he wrote it)...

The sequels, on the other hand...

tw2113 12.21.2009 07:04 PM

Avatar and I'm too lazy to post in that thread

youthoftomorrow 12.21.2009 07:04 PM

spent a rather enjoyable evening the other day with my dad watching all three Jason Bourne movies. pretty good as far as action movies go.

noisereductions 12.21.2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Robocop is one of the most ricidulous mainstream movies of the 80s. When I first saw it, it was probably the most over the top movie I'd ever seen at the time, plus the satirical elements show that for all the violence and how inane the overall concept is, whomever created it had a head on their shoulders (I know Paul Verhoven (sp?) directed it, but I don't know for sure if he wrote it)...

The sequels, on the other hand...

the scene with the limbs getting blown off is unreal. Fred Dekker wrote one of the sequels, but I dont know which one. I didn't see it.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.22.2009 02:38 AM

Black Snake Moan was terribly disappointing.

noisereductions 12.22.2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Black Snake Moan was terribly disappointing.

you saw what Ricci was wearing in it, right?

atsonicpark 12.22.2009 09:05 PM

Dekker did Robocop 3 and then disappeared :(

atsonicpark 12.22.2009 09:06 PM

Re-watched Freddy Got Fingered for the 500th time with the old lady. What a masterpiece. The most surreal and brilliant mainstream comedy, maybe ever? 10/10.

noisereductions 12.22.2009 09:11 PM

you always mention that. And I still haven't seen it. Maybe I'll add it to Netflix.

cagedbird 12.22.2009 09:16 PM

I watched "Wall Street" (dir. Oliver Stone) last weekend. Charlie Sheen is good as a financier on the fast-track to glory. Great footage of Manhattan.