Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is Johnny Thunders Still Considered 'Cool'? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10784)

demonrail666 02.24.2007 02:51 PM

Is Johnny Thunders Still Considered 'Cool'?

Just wondering. You don't hear much mention of him from da younger generation. Revisiting the Heartbreakers' LAMF album at the mo, and if there's been a better Rock n Roll LP since, I seriously wanna know about it.

hotbutterknives 02.24.2007 03:41 PM

yeah, some of is stuff is awesome indeed

I almost prefer his solo stuff than the dolls

atari 2600 02.24.2007 04:12 PM

Thurston and Watt were just talkin' about him earlier this month on the phone. Thurston remarked how he was listening to some Heartbreakers (for one) bootlegs.

Thurston & Lee & Steve Jones talked about him some during their Jonesy's Jukebox segment.

New York Dolls' David Johansen and Steve Jones also talked about him a bit during their program.

Perhaps this lends itself to meeting the criteria of "cool."

luxinterior 02.24.2007 05:11 PM

In 8th grade I thought he was the coolest thing ever. Deep down I haven't changed much since then. "So Alone" is still one of my favorite records, probably Top 10 or so. There are a few people who I think get lumped in with the whole punk rock thing, but who are much better than that. I think he was one of those people. He could really write a song. His sad songs are just so sad. I'm in awe of that.

HaydenAsche 02.24.2007 07:40 PM

To be 'still' considered 'cool' would be implying that Johnny Thunders was, at one time or another, considered 'cool' prior to this point in time. Please, enlighten me as to when that was.

Glice 02.24.2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
To be 'still' considered 'cool' would be implying that Johnny Thunders was, at one time or another, considered 'cool' prior to this point in time. Please, enlighten me as to when that was.

Wow, you really are a prick aren't you?

luxinterior 02.24.2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

I do not know where you live. You almost had me fooled that it was Missouri with the whole "meth lab" thing. I'm just going to assume it isn't St. Louis or the surrounding areas. A lot of the local sort of bands that I've gone to see in the past few years are really supportive of the whole Johnny Thunders thing...whatever you call it. I don't know if it's as prevalent in other places in the midwest or what. I'd be curious to find out.

Other than that, I don't really want to comment on anyone's coolness or lack thereof.

luxinterior 02.24.2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Wow, you really are a prick aren't you?

I blame Cat Power. Deep sigh.

HaydenAsche 02.24.2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
I do not know where you live. You almost had me fooled that it was Missouri with the whole "meth lab" thing. I'm just going to assume it isn't St. Louis or the surrounding areas. A lot of the local sort of bands that I've gone to see in the past few years are really supportive of the whole Johnny Thunders thing...whatever you call it. I don't know if it's as prevalent in other places in the midwest or what. I'd be curious to find out.

Other than that, I don't really want to comment on anyone's coolness or lack thereof.

What the fuck is the 'whole Johnny Thunders thing..." and how do some shitty little local bands support it?

I'm from Minnesota. Recognize.

luxinterior 02.24.2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

What the fuck is the 'whole Johnny Thunders thing..." and how do some shitty little local bands support it?

I'm from Minnesota. Recognize.

Well you're in a mood today.

What do you think the "whole Johnny Thunders thing" means? Could it mean "most things related to Johnny Thunders?" Oh my gosh, I think it just might. The rest you can figure out for yourself, unless you're a dolt, which I really don't think you are.

Minnesota, then. I doubt the meth situation is as bad as it is in Missouri. You guys should try a little harder.

luxinterior 02.24.2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
i quite like the cat power. i've nver heard mr thunders either but either way it's not effected my ear for a jingle. ho ho ho. was he as good as mik n keith? either way the main word is fecking 'WAS' bah. back in the day eh

He did better solo work than either Mick or Keith. A lot of people prefer him solo over the Dolls. Whereas I don't think anyone prefers Mick or Keith solo over their band, Whatsitcalled.

HaydenAsche 02.24.2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
Well you're in a mood today.

What do you think the "whole Johnny Thunders thing" means? Could it mean "most things related to Johnny Thunders?" Oh my gosh, I think it just might. The rest you can figure out for yourself, unless you're a dolt, which I really don't think you are.

Minnesota, then. I doubt the meth situation is as bad as it is in Missouri. You guys should try a little harder.

Cant.

Oh, dear. We could out-meth you any day of the week.

Glice 02.24.2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Cant.

Mendicant.

Pookie 02.24.2007 08:15 PM

Beggars belief.

HaydenAsche 02.24.2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Mendicant.

Canty little cunt.

Пятхъдесят Шест 02.24.2007 08:23 PM

According to this:

Minnesota
Meth treatment admissions per 100,000 residents: 85

Missouri
Meth treatment admissions per 100,000 residents: 70

Minnesota wins. However, Nebraska is higher than both.

Nebraska
Meth treatment admissions per 100,000 residents: 99

We win.

luxinterior 02.24.2007 08:24 PM

Quote:

I understood that it was Johnny Thunders related but I'm still unaware of how some bands from Missouri 'support' that. That's like saying I support Xiu Xiu and Cat Power. I like them, yes. I support them? I'm not sure. That sounds like a chore.

Oh, dear. We could out-meth you any day of the week.

It's not really a chore to support someone who's dead. Supporting Sonic Youth on the other hand, that's a chore. Although you could make the argument that they are also, in fact, dead.

Anyway, it's more like when I go to these concerts I always end up talking to people who are massive Johnny Thunders fans. And the groups themselves who have albums of original material out will still play Johnny Thunders songs upon request. I call that support, in a way. All of these people may like other things as well, but I don't know what those things are.

luxinterior 02.24.2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
According to this:

Minnesota

Missouri

Nebraska

We win.

Are you able to look up statistics for individual counties? Because ever since I can remember, the DARE cops have always told us that Franklin County (MO) has the biggest meth problem out of all US counties. I've never thought to question that--I just believed it because of the overwhelming evidence of it that I've seen.

HaydenAsche 02.24.2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
According to this:

Minnesota

Missouri

Nebraska

We win.

Nebraska's full of quitters. Our meth heads don't go to treatment.

Jt 02.24.2007 08:33 PM

...ANYWAY, L.A.M.F. and So Alone are undoubtedly righteous.

Any of you vinyl monkeys looking to make purchases make sure you avoid the original L.A.M.F. release, though - it's a dog turd of a mix. The Lost '77 Mixes is the one to gun with. Half the mixes on the second CD sound better than the first, I think. Born To Lose especially.