Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café IV (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=110922)

louder 03.16.2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
what a great album.

i was talking about To Pimp a Butterfly, of course. will give you my thoughts when i have more time.

louder 03.16.2015 02:17 PM

OK GUYS.. TO PIMP A MOTHAFUCKING BUTTERFLY!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Whoever said that Joey Badass' album was contender for album of the year just got quiet.

I'm loving the jazz feel to the samples. I suspect working with Flying Lotus has had a massive influence on that. However the track 'u' is just out there. I've no idea who it's aimed at, but man, it hits pretty hard. I do wonder if there'll be much replay worth with the song though.

I think the worst thing anyone can do is go in thinking this is going to be a party album. He's past that. King Kunta is the closest you'll get to a 'party track' I guess, but otherwise the feel is pretty dark.

All in all I'm loving it.

Your move, Kanye...

"u" is fucking insane.. Kendrick rapping while drinking and crying? OH LORD, this is too much. and the next song "Alright" is the best thing Pharrell has touched in years.

i thought King Kunta was the only subpar song on the album, but the bassline and the hook were stuck in my head all day so i don't really know anymore.

and the concept is just too brilliant. it's a big surprise, i won't give it to you guys yet.

however, this album just topped Good Kid in my opinion. and that says A LOT.

h8kurdt 03.16.2015 04:06 PM

Fucking Kanye anmounced for Glastonbury. That's just ramped up my excitement levels!

louder 03.16.2015 04:12 PM

Kanye, Kendrick and Drake albums.. this year is already much better than 2014!

louder 03.16.2015 04:15 PM

"Institutionalized" man.. i never thought a song with a hook that goes "shit don't change until you get up and wash your ass" would be so good.

Severian 03.16.2015 04:28 PM

Wow... Wow, holy goddamn fuck!

"Institutionalized"... "King Kunta"... This shit is crazy.

This is exactly what I wanted. Yeah, it's dark as hell. And there seems to be a definite FlyLo influence... Madlib too... In the beats and production. Compton crate diggin'

What a great guest spot from Snoop. Shit.
I'm just digging the shit out of this.

louder 03.16.2015 04:34 PM

according to the credits, FlyLo only produced the first track. however Thundercat is all over the album.

louder 03.16.2015 04:41 PM

is there any chance Pitchfork will give this a 10.0? i just want my boy to win.

h8kurdt 03.16.2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

is there any chance Pitchfork will give this a 10.0? i just want my boy to win.

9.5 at the very least I reckon.

rebeccagotcursedout 03.16.2015 04:48 PM

digging it. i was wondering why "Wesley's Theory" was making me fiend for Funkadelic/Parliament.;)

dark mellow jazzy!!! then there's Kendricks chilling flow.

Joey Badass is still up there for me though.

louder 03.16.2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

"And once upon a time in a city so divine
Called West Side Compton, there stood a little nigga
He was 5 foot something, dazed and confused
Talented but still under the neighborhood ruse
You can take your boy out the hood but you can't take the hood out the homie
Took his show money, stashed it in the mozey wozey
Hollywood's nervous
Fuck you, goodnight, thank you much for your service"

noisereductions 03.16.2015 05:30 PM

It is crazy good.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.16.2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

This is exactly what I wanted. Yeah, it's dark as hell. And there seems to be a definite FlyLo influence... Madlib too... In the beats and production. Compton crate diggin'

I'm just digging the shit out of this.

ill check it out in like 6 months when i finally have some time

Severian 03.16.2015 06:23 PM

This is kinda on a different level than Joey B. I mean, Kendrick's the biggest thing to happen to hip hop since Ye. Joey's album is no less good for how sprawling and dope and crazy and epic Butterfly is, but still, even Tetsuo & Youth is going to bow deeply to this beast.

I am pretty sure this is going to sell like crazy.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.16.2015 10:24 PM

Kanye can't see the forest for the trees and Drake's too bland overall to be worth mentioning. I genuinely hope they're taking notes though, as Kendrick Lamar is the real deal. The more worthwhile hip-hop out there, the better. I want Kanye to top 808's so badly, but don't see it happening.

As for Kendrick's latest release: A+. A lot of my initial thoughts echo Severian's - very FlyLo/Madlib inspired. It's a sonic rollercoaster in the method in which it transcends vibes. To Pimp a Butterfly is a love letter to hip-hop, the black spirit, and human expression. It's alive. After only the second listen, I'm already considering it superior to GKMC.

I will be buying both the CD for my car, and the (hopefully) eventual vinyl release whenever that drops. I want to drop a needle to an album that starts off with a needle drop. TPaB has a very timeless aesthetic. I know what I like when I hear it. Every track kicks, there's not a sluggish second to be found.

TL;DR: Your move, Violent J.

PS: King Kunta has one of the best beats on the album. No way is it a sub-par track.

Also I've never actually listened to Joey Badass... =/

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.16.2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

according to the credits, FlyLo only produced the first track. however Thundercat is all over the album.

That makes A LOT of sense.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.16.2015 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Kanye can't see the forest for the trees and Drake's too bland overall to be worth mentioning.
Starting my second listen now.

/

Finally a voice of reason

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.16.2015 11:51 PM

"A little nappy headed nigga with the world behind him
Life ain't shit but a fat vagina
Screamin' 'Annie are you okay? Annie are you okay?'
Limo tinted with the gold plates
Straight from the bottom, this the belly of the beast
From a peasant, to a prince, to a motherfucking king
"

My god.

Beat sounds like Skull Snaps or something.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.16.2015 11:56 PM

Then on Institutionalized:

Kendrick:
[i]"Life can be like a box of chocolate
Quid pro quo, somethin' for somethin', that's the obvious
Oh shit, flow's so sick, don't you swallow it
Bitin' my style, you're salmonella poison positive
I can just alleviate the rap industry politics
Milk the game up, never lactose intolerant
The last remainder of real shit, you know the obvious
Me scholarship? No, streets put me through colleges
Be all you can be, true, but the problem is
A dream's only a dream if work don't follow it"[/I

Then there's the dude that's not Snoop Dogg who flows like Koopsta-lite. Man, this is real good stuff.

These Walls is like a kick-back 90's jam. Oh my god. And that disco hook. Goddamn, Kendrick.

louder 03.17.2015 02:16 AM

new Earl album next week... WOW!

1. Huey
2. Mantra
3. Faucet
4. Grief
5. Off Top
6. Grown Ups (feat. Dash)
7. AM // Radio (feat. Wiki)
8. Inside
9. Dna (feat. Na'kel)
10. Wool (feat. Vince Staples)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/i-...go/id974796109

louder 03.17.2015 02:20 AM

i must say i love the current subject matter in hip-hop. first Kendrick made an album about dealing with his insecurities and loving yourself, and now we got Earl who came up with this title "I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside".. i expect some shit like this on the Kanye album too. this is exactly where i'd like hip-hop to be in 2015.

louder 03.17.2015 02:34 AM

Kanye is gonna drop something serious. he wouldn't get the album cover tatted on his arm if it wasn't a classic.

noisereductions 03.17.2015 07:03 AM

dudes, the first quarter of the year is not over yet. And we've got Joey Bada$$, Drake, Ghostface, Kendrick already out; we got Earl next week; we got a pretty quality Weezy mixtape already out; we got that CanOx record... This is already a pretty impressive year for hip hop and we're not a full 3 months in.

I'm expecting that A$AP Mob will do like Drake/Kendrick/Yeezy and just drop something as a surprise this year.

I also predict we will see another YG album by the end of the year. If anything "2015 Flow" was an indication that the dude was not slowing down recording any time soon.

Rob Instigator 03.17.2015 08:32 AM

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...terfly/387949/

Kendrick's new LP is discussed at The Atlantic

Rob Instigator 03.17.2015 08:35 AM

Quote:

"A little nappy headed nigga with the world behind him
Life ain't shit but a fat vagina
Screamin' 'Annie are you okay? Annie are you okay?'
Limo tinted with the gold plates
Straight from the bottom, this the belly of the beast
From a peasant, to a prince, to a motherfucking king
"

My god.

Beat sounds like Skull Snaps or something.

I hate how rappers don' rhyme anymore.

behind him/vagina
okay/plates
beast/king?

I hate sloppy "make it sound as if it rhymes" rhymes.

noisereductions 03.17.2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I hate how rappers don' rhyme anymore.

behind him/vagina
okay/plates
beast/king?

I hate sloppy "make it sound as if it rhymes" rhymes.

if this were poetry, they'd be called 'slant rhymes,' but in hip hop they're apparently 'sloppy'?

louder 03.17.2015 11:48 AM

Kendrick's speech at the end of "i".. JESUS.

Severian 03.17.2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

That makes A LOT of sense.

Anyway, don't mean to step on your toes, but don't assume that Louder doesn't know his shit.

Why? Because of reasoning. Not because of the embarrassingly stupid shit I said before.

I was thinking Captain Murphy while reading Thundercat and watching BroJack Horseman.

Not my best moment.

louder 03.17.2015 12:32 PM

huh? Thundercat isn't FlyLo's alter ego though.. i'm confused at the moment.

louder 03.17.2015 12:33 PM

https://twitter.com/flyinglotus/stat...29338946719744

https://twitter.com/flyinglotus/stat...39315685986304

https://twitter.com/flyinglotus/stat...41868372946944

https://twitter.com/flyinglotus/stat...47091179012097

louder 03.17.2015 12:34 PM

louder 03.17.2015 12:36 PM

D'Angelo would sound so great over some of those beats. "These Walls" comes to mind in particular.

louder 03.17.2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Then there's the dude that's not Snoop Dogg who flows like Koopsta-lite. Man, this is real good stuff.

that's Kendrick dude. he uses so many different voices, such a versatile rapper.

Severian 03.17.2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
if this were poetry, they'd be called 'slant rhymes,' but in hip hop they're apparently 'sloppy'?

I don't think "Beast/King" qualifies as a slant rhyme, but good point.

Actually ... Yeah that's a slant rhyme. I'm a stupidfuck.

Severian 03.17.2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

huh? Thundercat isn't FlyLo's alter ego though.. i'm confused at the moment.

No, I am sorry. I was wrong.

I don't really know what the original comment was all about.
But whatever.

Severian 03.17.2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Kanye is gonna drop something serious. he wouldn't get the album cover tatted on his arm if it wasn't a classic.

Oh shit...

Is that confirmed as the album cover? What about tracklist and release dates? Any confirmation on any of this stuff yet?

louder 03.17.2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Oh shit...

Is that confirmed as the album cover? What about tracklist and release dates? Any confirmation on any of this stuff yet?

nope.. i think he's still working on the album, "Wolves" sounded unfinished. hate to say i'm expecting a summer release.

louder 03.17.2015 01:29 PM

Only One won't be on the album unless it gets heavily reworked.

i'm looking forward to hear his more experimental stuff with Paul.

h8kurdt 03.17.2015 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
dudes, the first quarter of the year is not over yet. And we've got Joey Bada$$, Drake, Ghostface, Kendrick already out; we got Earl next week; we got a pretty quality Weezy mixtape already out; we got that CanOx record... This is already a pretty impressive year for hip hop and we're not a full 3 months in.

I'm expecting that A$AP Mob will do like Drake/Kendrick/Yeezy and just drop something as a surprise this year.

I also predict we will see another YG album by the end of the year. If anything "2015 Flow" was an indication that the dude was not slowing down recording any time soon.

Aye. I thought 2013 was insane, but all those people who brought albums out then are bringing the new ones out. Then on top of that there's all the new guys too. Pretty insane really.

Severian 03.17.2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Only One won't be on the album unless it gets heavily reworked.

i'm looking forward to hear his more experimental stuff with Paul.

Why do you say that about “Only One?” Because of that extended wordless vocal "riffing" segment that points to a one-take recording session? Or the fact that McCartney's little keyboard jam was cut out of the video? Are you just going with your gut or did you hear this somewhere?

I kinda hope "Only One" does serve as a standalone. Or maybe a bonus track of there's a deluxe edition of the final album (seems like an insane thing to expect considering the barebones packaging of Yeezus)... I really love the song, but it feels like the kind of song that means more on its own. I can't imagine where it would fit on a "traditional" Kanye album (not that I know what that would look or sound like in the first place). So I'm in favor of it remaining a non-album track.