Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What gigs are you going to in the coming months? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6735)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.30.2013 10:24 PM

Finally got my tickets for SubhumanS, though at the Glasshouse instead of in LA.. all the other shows didn't fall through, couldn't get any partners in crime. My sister is motivated to the SubhumanS, so we're rolling!!

tesla69 11.01.2013 03:06 PM

maybe Eugene Chadbourne this weekend
maybe Ikue MOri at the Stone next week

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.01.2013 03:19 PM

I'm a little disappointed because I can't rally any other brothers of mine to go the the SubhumanS show, and I can't go in the pit solo, its not safe. You should never get into the pit at a punk show if you came solo, shit can go totally wrong. Its like starting a bar fight without any friends there. Shit can go terribly wrong in a hurry. So even though I haven't been in a good pit in several years, and I am DYING to get my pit on, I'm going to have to be wiser here, based on my experience in the past in several gutter punk mosh pits, and sit this one out.

Pits are NOT inherently violent, angry, or dangerous, but there is a natural danger in jumping into a sweaty, tightened circle of people flailing elbows around. If you accidentally get hit, people will help you up, but still, its best to have a tag-team. I've never had an incident which required a brawl or a fight from the pit, indeed the pit is generally all elbows and love, but you should have some backup even if just to help you up if you get knocked around a bit. Safety first. Sucks though. I did jump into the pit solo last time, and it was alright, but I didn't get the fullest experience like I do when we jump into the pit with a crew of five or six dudes to manhandle the pit and dominate. Plus, in LA there is always one asshole who heard they fight at punk shows, and he is throwing punches in the pit, sometimes you have to throw a few back at those assholes to remind them fighting is reserved for the parking lot, not the pit ;)

Torn Curtain 11.03.2013 09:28 AM

Anna Calvi

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.06.2013 10:57 AM

SubhumanS was INTENSE. One of the best punk shows ever, and I've seen these dudes like 10 times! The pit was epic, but all love and elbows. In fact, the entire crowd devolved into a pitting frenzy of jostling bodies, sweaty rage, and punk-filled love! Our community is so misunderstood from the outside looking in, but we are a love filled community. I used kick it with nothing but chaos punks, and we wasted too much time getting into brawls and fights, causing chaos. It was so fucking nice to go to a punk show without my chaos homiez, just me and my sister and her friends, and we had a blast. They played ALL the songs, a perfect blend of the old classics we all want to sing along with and the new songs from Internal Riot album. I'm batter, bruised, with no voice whatsoever, and completely blissed and ecstatic!

And Dick, after thirty solid years, WILL YOU EVER
WEAR A T-SHIRT WITH A FUCKING COLLAR??

I hope the fuck not ;)

greenlight 11.06.2013 01:34 PM

u:mack are bringing the orb to Dublin on their 25th anniversary tour to play
"The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld" & "UFORB" (Live)

pony 11.17.2013 01:02 AM

~might~ go to mv&ee on tuesday. they are playing on a boat!

Toilet & Bowels 11.17.2013 08:16 AM

Magik Markers on Wednesday
Wolf Eyes next Monday

Then in December Ghedalia Tazartes, MV & EE, and Goat

evollove 11.21.2013 02:55 PM

Should I go see Alejandro Escovedo & Peter Buck?

EVOLghost 11.21.2013 03:04 PM

^ Is there a reason to not go?

MONO is playing tomorrow....they're pretty neat....but sometimes I get incredibly bored with post rock stuff sometimes.....ehhh fuck it. I'll probably go...I have nothing else better to do.

ilduclo 11.21.2013 03:27 PM

saw Blues Control Tues, pretty good stuff!

http://vimeo.com/55942363

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.21.2013 03:49 PM

saw Anthony B last weekend. Missed Barrington Levy last night cuz I have to go to work and the dancehall ends way to late for all that, this was the year I finally decided to stop dragging my ass to work on a paltry hour and a half of sleep and instead do the grown up thing and skip the show. Of course, I can't be entirely boring, I still go to shows on work nights so long as I can be tucked into bed by 2AM on the dot, which dancehalls aside tends to work out just fine.

Dec 1 Groundation at the El Rey, hoping to find a partner in crime to get to the Lee Ranaldo show Dec 13, shit its a friday so I may just take the Metro ;)

_tunic_ 11.22.2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
MONO is playing tomorrow....they're pretty neat....but sometimes I get incredibly bored with post rock stuff sometimes.....ehhh fuck it. I'll probably go...I have nothing else better to do.

did you go? Just wondering whether they're playing some new songs already. I love Mono, the first time I saw them I didn't know them yet. Just had my eyes closed all the time and enjoyed it immensely. People around me thought I fell asleep and kept poking me in the back though....
Didn't like their latest album so much, but live those songs were so good.

pony 11.25.2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony
~might~ go to mv&ee on tuesday. they are playing on a boat!

turns out this wasn't last week... it's this week!
going cause "it's a date":cool:

EVOLghost 11.25.2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
did you go? Just wondering whether they're playing some new songs already. I love Mono, the first time I saw them I didn't know them yet. Just had my eyes closed all the time and enjoyed it immensely. People around me thought I fell asleep and kept poking me in the back though....
Didn't like their latest album so much, but live those songs were so good.

I did! But I could not tell you if anything they played was new. I'm not familiar with all of their catalog(I'm new to them). But I really enjoyed the show.

ANyways...a bit excited for next month. Noveller, Grouper, and TV Ghost(not together) are playing!

pony 12.04.2013 03:14 PM

saw disappears last night
friday i'm gonna see retrovirus in austria IF the trains are running. stupid storm :(

stu666 12.04.2013 05:35 PM

Dum Dum Girls - December 14th

Bo Ningen - New Years Eve at Cafe OTO!

Stephen Malkmus - January 2014

Vibracathedral Orchestra - February 2014

Thurston Moore - February 2014

Thurston Moore, Dylan Nyoukis, Phil Minton, Moshi Honen, Sharon Gal, Steve Noble and Alex Ward - March 2014

Toilet & Bowels 12.04.2013 06:39 PM

Saw Ghedalia Tazartes on Monday, it was good.

Wished I'd gone to see MV & EE tonight but couldn't as I had to be home to help my new housemate move in.

I think my gig year for 2013 might be done.

Genteel Death 12.04.2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

Wished I'd gone to see MV & EE tonight but couldn't as I had to be home to help my new housemate move in.

I think my gig year for 2013 might be done.

They were GREAT. I saw Thurston Moore walking around in the crowd. Matt Valentine hi-fived him when they finished playing. I enjoyed Ghedalia Tazartes on Monday too.

stu666 12.05.2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

I really wanted to go too, I didn't because I've been ill for over 2 weeks now and I think it's partly because of all the gigs I've gone to (driving to London and back constantly fucked me up)... EDIT: I had/have glandular fever

This has been my best year ever for gigs. I saw Thurston Moore 21 times, Body/Head and Lee Ranaldo twice, The Thing 3 times, Acid Mothers twice, Dinosaur Jr twice, Fushitsusha, Mainliner, Selvhenter, Jooklo Duo, Jandek, Lau Nau, Wolf Eyes and many more.... I can't wait for Bo Ningen at OTO on New Years Eve!

_tunic_ 12.08.2013 04:34 PM

last friday: Scott Matthew
Tuesday: Esmerine
Thursday: Raggende Manne
The week after that possibly: Die Anarchistische Abendunterhaltung
which will be the last one of this year

Next year:
it starts with a threesome of Dutch bands: Hallo Venray, Bettie Serveert and Claw Boys Claw
then Lubomyr Melnyk, once, twice, possibly even trice!
Mogwai
Bill Callahan
Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra (2 times!)
A Winged Victory for the Sullen, they're doing live music for a ballet piece by Wayne McGregor
The Ex Festival incl. Thurston Moore (don't know which of the 4 nights I'll go to though)
possibly going also to: Weed, A Clean Kitchen Is A Happy Kitchen

hirsute_biped 12.10.2013 11:18 AM

Lee+Dust, Bill Orcutt, Dec 13th, Echo, Los Angeles
Earth [live scoring Herzog's Fata Morgana], Dec 14th, Cinefamily, Los Angeles
Just found out about this one, super excited for it, under kinda weird 24-hour free-rolling-admission-pending-venue-capacity-with-RSVP membership-drive-cavalcade-of-craziness circumstances. Really hope I get in.http://www.cinefamily.org/films/telethon2013/

rappard 12.10.2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
Lee+Dust, Bill Orcutt, Dec 13th, Echo, Los Angeles
Earth [live scoring Herzog's Fata Morgana], Dec 14th, Cinefamily, Los Angeles
Just found out about this one, super excited for it, under kinda weird 24-hour free-rolling-admission-pending-venue-capacity-with-RSVP membership-drive-cavalcade-of-craziness circumstances. Really hope I get in.http://www.cinefamily.org/films/telethon2013/

Recordings of all (but especially the Earth show) would be appreciated!

hirsute_biped 12.10.2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rappard

Planning on it, believe me. I just looked up the film, it's 79 minutes, hallucinatory Saharan desert mirage footage shot under trying circumstances; a perfect match. Will they improv, or play their tunes? According to Dylan's twitter they are currently recording a new album at a studio in Joshua Tree National Park, Mojave Desert (beautiful place just east of LA) with two new band members. Tinariwen just recorded somewhere out there too, I suspect outdoors as is their habit.

hirsute_biped 12.11.2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

There will be a live stream of this event on the Cinefamily website, so you could try to capture the stream and record it that way too. Sometime between 5-9pm US pacific std time.

hirsute_biped 12.20.2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Never made it inside the venue, due to bait-and-switch last-minute ticket gauging. Adverts said non-members would be let in free on first come first serve basis. My budget is tight so I got there many hours early and was first in line, then at the end they sell off the last 10 available seats at $50 a pop. Kinda pissed. Made it home in time to see the very end of the live stream.

rappard 12.20.2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
Never made it inside the venue, due to bait-and-switch last-minute ticket gauging. Adverts said non-members would be let in free on first come first serve basis. My budget is tight so I got there many hours early and was first in line, then at the end they sell off the last 10 available seats at $50 a pop. Kinda pissed. Made it home in time to see the very end of the live stream.

Wowzers, that is a very cunty switcheroo - I would be way angrier than "kinda pissed". Really sorry for you.

blunderbuss 01.01.2014 06:37 AM

Richard Skelton / Lina Lapelyte / Rie Nakajima / Jennifer Walshe

Andrew Chalk Quartet / Matthew Shaw

Samara Lubelski / Thurston

Desmadrados Soldados De Ventura

Dead Neanderthals / Dead Days Beyond Help

Rafael Anton Irisarri / Moon Ate The Dark / Inigo Ugarteburu

MultipleTap: Doravideo / Hijokaidan / T.Mikawa / Toshimaru Nakamura / Jojo Hiroshige / Junko / Hatsune Kaidan / Makoto Kawabata / Tetsuzi Akiyama / Atsuhiro Ito / Tanaka Yumiko / Miho Wakabayashi / Ko Ishikawa / Makoto Oshiro / Painjerk / Takahiro Kawaguchi / Katsura Mouri / Ken Ikeda / Katsuyoshi Kou

EVOLghost 01.01.2014 02:31 PM

^ holy shit. I am incredibly jealous. You're going to see hatsune kaidan!!!

EVOLghost 01.01.2014 02:31 PM

And jojo is doing 3 different sets?!

Pookie 01.01.2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss

Desmadrados Soldados De Ventura

When is this? Loving their stuff.

EVOLghost 01.02.2014 12:48 AM

cibo matto in march!

Bytor Peltor 01.02.2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
cibo matto in march!

Where are you finding 2014 tour dates?

blunderbuss 01.02.2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
When is this? Loving their stuff.

Sun 26th January - South Street Arts Centre, Reading, UK

Pookie 01.02.2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Sun 26th January - South Street Arts Centre, Reading, UK

Thanks, I found this eventually. I was presuming it would be London for some reason. This is just down the road from me. I'll have to check my diary (it'll be empty).

EVOLghost 01.08.2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Where are you finding 2014 tour dates?

I saw it on last.fm

Buffalo daughter announced they're opening for them for Midwest dates. So fucking excited.

Pookie 01.10.2014 03:01 PM

Samara Lubelski & Thurston Moore

MellySingsDoom 01.10.2014 03:15 PM

Am going to this line-up at Cafe Oto on 22 Feburary - http://www.cafeoto.co.uk/multipletap.shtm

blunderbuss 01.10.2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Samara Lubelski & Thurston Moore

Yay! We're all gonna see Pookie! We're all gonna see Pookie! We're all gonna see Pookie!

blunderbuss 01.10.2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Am going to this line-up at Cafe Oto on 22 Feburary - http://www.cafeoto.co.uk/multipletap.shtm

Yay! We're all gonna see Melly! We're all gonna see Melly! We're all gonna see Melly!