Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   xbxbrx... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20406)

batreleaser 03.12.2008 12:45 PM

xbxbrx...

i love xbxrx. ive been listenin to wars a shitload, its one of the best of last year me thinks. got a problem though, and i know this is dumb, but how do you pronouce xbxrx?

uhler 03.12.2008 01:13 PM

x b x r x

that's how i always and other people have said their name.

wars was on my top list of last year too. before wars i haven't listened to them in about 4 or 5 years, so i didn't know what to expect but it's really good.

atsonicpark 03.12.2008 01:22 PM

This band is good. They got much better after Weasel Walter joined. Seen them three times, always a treat. One of the better live bands around. The guitarist is a good guy, I talked to him for about an hour at the last show. He has an excellent taste in music...

And, it's pronouncded ex bee ex are ex. And it doesn't stand for anything.

batreleaser 03.12.2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
This band is good. They got much better after Weasel Walter joined. Seen them three times, always a treat. One of the better live bands around. The guitarist is a good guy, I talked to him for about an hour at the last show. He has an excellent taste in music...

And, it's pronouncded ex bee ex are ex. And it doesn't stand for anything.

thanks, and yeah weasel walter is one of the best musicians we got these days. flying luttenbachers are rockin.

PAULYBEE2656 03.12.2008 01:31 PM

xbxrx are great!!! wars is great!!!! sixth in sixes is also good. i havent heard their other 07 album "sounds" yet tho. love em to bits

atsonicpark 03.12.2008 01:52 PM

sounds is just boring improv shit. not really anything to get excited about. My favorites are Love Songs for the Blind and Sixth in Sixes, definitely.. Interesting band, they have been rumored as broken up about 500 times. Their early shows seemed to be better, at least the first one I saw because they jacked off for 5 minutes, said fuck you, and stopped playing. And they were headlining! The last 2 shows I saw, they actually play songs and full sets now. Mature!

uhler 03.12.2008 02:27 PM

i remember when i got into them they were banned in canada for something, i think destroying something, but i thought that was pretty cool.

PAULYBEE2656 03.12.2008 03:40 PM

love songs for the blind??????? i dont know if im aware of that one. i have gop ist minee and sixth and wars............... ive hear that report on sounds before as well, arty farty bull crap guitar wankery....... sounds ok to me!!! :=>

atsonicpark 03.12.2008 04:43 PM

Love Songs for the Blind is amazing. It's really weird, synthy and noisey. Great shit. It's what I got into XBXRX for originally...

Also, they have a shitload of splits and singles and EP's, most of which are decent, but I'd at least reccomend the sick lipstick and an albatross splits..

PAULYBEE2656 03.12.2008 04:46 PM

excellent. ill search for em when i get back from my hols!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.12.2008 05:18 PM

I was wondering the samething for a while.
I've been checking up on a lot of bands, I've bene pronouncing them all wrong. Like Sigur ros and mogwai.

Pax Americana 03.12.2008 06:26 PM

Xbxrx are a lot of fun live. I saw them at the Knitting Factory in NYC, it was pretty wild.

atsonicpark 03.12.2008 09:37 PM

rhys chatham, how can you pronounce mogwai wrong? haven't you seen the jungle book?

sigur ros is "cig-are ross" right?

PAULYBEE2656 03.13.2008 12:01 PM

cig ur roose. i thought. mogwai???? yeah impossible to mispromounce although u should never ever listen to them after midnight! shit happens!!!!!!

Everyneurotic 03.13.2008 12:11 PM

one of my highlights of last year was seeing them live and getting into the slam dancing and have a cute girl hit on me which i then proceeded to lay...sorry, where was i? a fucking fun show!!!!