Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jack Whites terrible "Coke" admission.. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1068)

fishmonkey 04.19.2006 04:58 AM

Jack Whites terrible "Coke" admission..

i'm a huge Stripes fan and have just seen the long awaited "jack white coke ad" on youtube.com

its as bad as i thought it would be...
in fact... i've been feeling nauseous since...

any opinions from the Stripes fan's on the board?

jon boy 04.19.2006 05:11 AM

i am not really a fan of them but it is a shame that he would do that. no one is gonna take him seriously for a very long time, but then again kim did gap ads so everyone is at it.

Katy 04.19.2006 05:52 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWoLu_Hvbbw

I kinda like it. The song is very John Lennon-y. And the ad itself is trippy Michel Gondry-type shit.

It could be the Coke talking, but I'm pretty uncynical about this. I'm okay with it. Jack N Coke is my drink. I've been addicted to that stuff since I was about 3. (I'd feel differently if he'd written the song for Pepsi.. *spit* )

khchris(original) 04.19.2006 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey
i'm a huge Stripes fan and have just seen the long awaited "jack white coke ad" on youtube.com

its as bad as i thought it would be...
in fact... i've been feeling nauseous since...

any opinions from the Stripes fan's on the board?

I'd do it. Why not, tons of money. It's not like "White Stripes" is his life. It's just a job he'll have for only a couple of years. Why not take advantage of it?

Unless it went against his convictions.

Trans Am turned down almost a couple hundred thousand dollars for Hummer to use their song, but they refused because of political reasons.

On a side note, didn't Kim do an add for Marc Jacobs?

Like that's any better.

finding nobody 04.19.2006 06:01 AM

i'm a very big stripes fan. but i wasn't really happy with jack doing this sense i heard about it. how cool can a comerical be anyway?

screamingskull 04.19.2006 06:07 AM

im not a white strips fan myself, not at all, i really dislike them, and i have to say i think thats one of the worst coca cola adverts ive ever seen, i hated the whole thing.
oh well.

fishmonkey 04.19.2006 08:54 AM

i duuno, i think there is a difference between a Coke Ad and doing a photoshoot for Gap/Calvin Klein/Marc Jacobs

although i could be biased, it didnt bother me when Kim did these, i think she's a swanky lookin lady in all the pics.

marleypumpkin 04.19.2006 09:03 AM

Yes, Kim is suppose to be in ads like that. She is so incredibly gorgeous that it would have been a shame not to see Kim in those ads. Just think of it this way, if Kim didn't pose for the CK/Gap/Marc Jacobs ads, we would have had to look at someone less desrving.

As for Jack, it's his life & he can do what he wants. Besides, don't we all like Coke?

fishmonkey 04.19.2006 09:21 AM

more of a Diet Coke man myself Marley... but i see your point...you little devil you

marleypumpkin 04.19.2006 09:26 AM

Hey, it's still a form of Coke. I don't know why, but everyone has had a coke sometime in their life.

funhouse 04.19.2006 09:32 AM

hes not that bad. the ad is alright, i guess money helps.

marleypumpkin 04.19.2006 09:35 AM

I have no problem w/ Jack. he's one of my favorite musician's, & I'm not gonna toss him aside for one questionable decision.

Laila 04.19.2006 09:41 AM

i liked the ad and i like the white stripes.

marleypumpkin 04.19.2006 09:44 AM

Haven't seen the ad yet, but I second Laila's thoughts about The White Stripes

Laila 04.19.2006 09:52 AM

there is a link for it at the begining of this thread marley you fool! watch it now!!

sonicpollution 04.19.2006 09:57 AM

Yeah, that's honestly not as bad as it could've been, but it's still pretty bad.

I can't fault Jack White for doing it though. He seems like a cool guy, and I'm betting he didn't just do a blind grab for the cash. (Even if he did, Jack can do what he wants to do.)

marleypumpkin 04.19.2006 10:23 AM

I watched the ad just know, didn't get to hear the audio, but from what I saw, it looked like every other Coke ad since the beginning of the 2000.

hey alex 04.19.2006 02:44 PM

yea that wasn't too bad. I'm not a huge stripes fan, but i dig em from time to time. And it's not as bas as washed up actors pushing sandwiches and shit.

schizophrenicroom 04.19.2006 03:35 PM

better jack white than paris fucking hilton or someone. i say kudos.

finding nobody 04.19.2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
better jack white than paris fucking hilton or someone. i say kudos.

great point!