Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   This forum has really gone to shit hasn't it? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40897)

Genteel Death 08.10.2010 05:38 PM

This forum has really gone to shit hasn't it?

Maybe talking about yourself all the time really is lame.

DeadDiscoDildo 08.10.2010 05:42 PM

It's either talking about yourself or talking about others are being lame, innit?

What's on your mind?

DeadDiscoDildo 08.10.2010 05:43 PM

We had a pretty in-depth and heated conversation about the middle east, America, and the idea of evil the other day. I guess you missed that one while you were shaking your fist at the 'post a picture of yourself' thread.

artsygrrl 08.10.2010 06:17 PM

What's on your mind, Genteel?

Genteel Death 08.10.2010 06:24 PM

Perhaps i'm not reading the right threads. I'm really cool artsy, I just think there are ever so fewer topics started about ''stuff'', which is a sign of people being bored, maybe. Or maybe not. And how are you?

Genteel Death 08.10.2010 06:27 PM

DeadDiscoDildo- I always read your posts because you make smile. Also: CUNT.

DeadDiscoDildo 08.10.2010 06:37 PM

Thanks asshole, you too! haha

Sometimes ppl talk about themselves alot here (myself included) because maybe there are alot of deep thinkers and artists here who could give feedback their friends, and even close friends, could not come close to.

Or for validation because they are surrounded by shallow people.

Or maybe it is us who are shallow, for not being out in the world and staying in our "heads" too often, on this board.

:)

Derek 08.10.2010 06:40 PM

I sort of agree Genteel Death. I wish there was a lot more discussion on music... everytime I post a musical thread about an artist I wish more people would check out, I only ever seem to get one or two replies (usually consisting of "yeah cool band").

artsygrrl 08.10.2010 06:43 PM

I'm doing great and always pretty happy when I'm here. But then, I'm easily entertained :)

noisereductions 08.10.2010 06:45 PM

I kind of agree Genteel. I've been trying to be more active though. I feel like the only way to make things better is to all just um say interesting things.

DeadDiscoDildo 08.10.2010 06:46 PM

^^true

alot of ppl here create though, Id love to talk about music but sometimes Id rather talk about the music im creating.

Not because it is superior to anything that influences it...but rather because it's what's happening NOW, in MY world. ya know?

But usually everyone who posts their music gives little feedback and the "do you have a band" thread is rather ridiculous.

The same ppl post "yes I do" over and over, usually after someone posts material of theirs.

Anyways /rant.

Is there an artist you want to talk about?

Who was the first musician to make you fall in love with music Derek?

Who was the first one to make you jaded about music?

Who was the first one to bring you back to your love of music?

Who are you currently obsessed with right now?

Do you make your own music? What is your goal?

What the fuck is so special about music anyways?

atsonicpark 08.10.2010 06:52 PM

This forum has been sorta down in the dumps all year... ever since batreleaser stopped his long rants..

Genteel Death 08.10.2010 07:11 PM

There's not a particular event (can you really tell us, oh prophet THE internet?), it's just when the egomaniacal side of a few becomes too much.

Murmer99 08.10.2010 07:28 PM

i usually come on here when im bored. but i do try to contribute to the discussions here. i just dont think i do, i have always sucked at talking to people and communicating with them. i dont know how this forum used to be because im a bit new here, but i do agree that its been really dead lately.

TheFoxBen 08.10.2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
i usually come on here when im bored. but i do try to contribute to the discussion here. i just dont think i do, i have always sucked at talking to people and communicating with them. i dont know how this forum used to be, but i do agree that its been really dead lately.

Don't be so negative dude. I used to think like that before but you just have to get used to new "environments". I think I'm doing pretty good on here and I don't even really speak English, so...

jon boy 08.10.2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Perhaps i'm not reading the right threads. I'm really cool artsy, I just think there are ever so fewer topics started about ''stuff'', which is a sign of people being bored, maybe. Or maybe not. And how are you?

do you mean there have been less things for you to start arguments over? normally you start arguments with all and sundry but then again you probably argue with yourself in your sleep.

yes it has been pretty boring here.

atsonicpark 08.10.2010 07:48 PM

Basically, what happened is me and SyrFox stopped arguing because we both pretty much only listen to electronic music now. Me and Gabe stopped arguing because we're both deathly bitter and cynical, and I know for a fact that I appreciate his finer qualities now more than ever. Satan got pregnant and won't post sadwhore.jpg. Batreleaser stopped doing meth. Westernquinox seems to have completed his Merzbow collection. Derek temporarily stopped listening to Kayo Dot after Mia got with James Gunn and is now going through that whole thing where he spent forever making a great album and probably feels like not enough people care anymore. Dead-Air seems to be MIA, since he got back with his wife, aside from his radio show; and trust me, I miss his posts. and Glice... well, Glice is pretty much the same ol' Glice, except that he recently admitted he enjoyed an Autechre track, even though it's not danceable. Phoenix and Floatingslowly are in love and therefore don't have time for the board. TheFoxBen likes the new Wavves record. Noisereductions still hasn't watched Inside. Joe Perinelo's had bad luck making Death Finger. n'ik's brilliant, honest, insightful posts are gone. Sway has returned with a bit of reserve and restraint instead of the pure insanity that defined his early posts. Ghostchase has been too busy rewatching Eureka 100 times to post. Rob... well... Rob continues to be Rob, for good or bad. Demonrail is too busy worshipping at the altar of Irreversible. Most of the other regulars are bored. Anngella.. alteredcourse.. terriblecanyons.. jennthebenn.. ploej.. we need more posts by you! Worst of all, no leeisfree or s shelley!

...Those are just a few of the factors contributing to the decline of this board.

Satan 08.10.2010 07:54 PM

re-dun-dant

genteel death is a dunce.

if you hate it so much then why don't you just leave you fucking idiot?

TheFoxBen 08.10.2010 07:56 PM

Fuck yeah, I even bought that Wavves album ! I'll be remembered as the guy who likes King of the Beach. Nice and honest post, still...

ann ashtray 08.10.2010 07:58 PM

I almost never get bored. When I do, it seldom lasts for more than a few minutes. I'm far too ADD for boredom...a pro + a con.

As for this place, it goes through weird phases bordering on thematic from time to time. It's been OK lately, really dig the gun thread.

Once upon a time it was much more music related. The level of musical conversation (SY related + otherwise) can almost be lumped as being equal to the quality of whatever SY's latest album is.

LOTS of musical conversation around the Nurse period...
Seemed to start dropping rather drastically around the time of Rather Ripped...
Picked up a wee bit w/ the Eternal.

I think maybe a lot of younger people started joining...while the ones that have been here a while have just gotten older/changed a bit. Porky has always been kinda the same, but seemingly a bit more bitter than he used to be. I used to be the BIGGEST drunken asshole and there was no middle ground, people either loved my posts (strictly for the absurdity of them...it seemed) or hated them (most fell under this category). Symbol guy seems more comfy with the subject of alcohol than he used to. Maybe he's just long since realized the situation of some people can border on hopeless (haha).

Conversation seemed to get more sexually oriented when a certain person joined. Can't recall seeing him/her on any since my "return". Interesting individual.

I don't know. I love music. As I approach my 30's, however, I'm def becoming more grounded. I'll still give anything a chance, it's just gotten to a point to where I know what I like, and I'm satisfied w/ listening to just that most days. Sometimes on a whim I will challenge myself though. Guess music/girls/god/booze arent the only things on my mind anymore. I become more interested in myself the older I get....analyzing my own thoughts and figuring out my own feelings and where they originated. I blocked this sorta thing out for far too long...music is partially to blame.