Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Inverse Hype Law (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29591)

akprodr 02.25.2009 06:15 PM

Inverse Hype Law

So frequently I find that if something is really hyped up, I don't enjoy it like everyone else. The amount of hype is inversely proportional to how well I like it.

Slumdog Millionaire for example. Good movie but I don't think it deserved all the hype. I don't see that many movies so I really can't say whether it deserved all the Oscars.

I just got Merriweather Post Pavilion and I'm extremely underwhelmed. It is my first exposure to Animal Collective so I can't base it on any of their other work.

I'll certainly give it a couple more spins but man doesn't sound that great to me.

SYRFox 02.25.2009 06:19 PM

MPP - and AC - deserves all your attention. They're truly great.

I do not really care about the hype. There's some hype things I hate (MGMT, Fleet Foxes, Kaiser Chiefs, etc), and some hype things I like (for instance: The Knife, Simian Mobile Disco, etc)

Lurker 02.25.2009 08:08 PM

Schopenhauer said: "He who writes for fools always finds a large public". I think that that of course applies to other arts as well.

DJ Rick 02.25.2009 08:19 PM

Face it, you're a non-conformity conformist.

:p

Green Magnesium 02.25.2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
MPP - and AC - deserves all your attention. They're truly great.

I do not really care about the hype. There's some hype things I hate (MGMT, Fleet Foxes, Kaiser Chiefs, etc), and some hype things I like (for instance: The Knife, Simian Mobile Disco, etc)

The Knife has been hyped? (That's a serious question)

Although I literally just discovered them for the first time about 4 months ago, when I clicked into one of their vids on YouTube, and I can't get enough of them.

Hype or not... I simply cannot enjoy Animal Collective. I am starting to enjoy the look that fans develop on their faces when I tell them that.

SYRFox 02.26.2009 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
The Knife has been hyped? (That's a serious question)

Although I literally just discovered them for the first time about 4 months ago, when I clicked into one of their vids on YouTube, and I can't get enough of them.

Hype or not... I simply cannot enjoy Animal Collective. I am starting to enjoy the look that fans develop on their faces when I tell them that.

Yeah The Knife has been super hyped by Pitchfork when Silent Shout was released. But that was totally deserved

ihateyouth 02.26.2009 06:53 AM

Slumdog Millionaire and Animal Collective aren't very good examples...

Oscars don't make a film good, they just add reputation in a (commercial) politically correct parameter...

and Animal Collective is just a proof of how being high all the time distorts your musical taste.

greedrex 02.26.2009 08:10 AM

I don't follow the hype, i am the hype.

Green Magnesium 02.26.2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
The Knife has been super hyped by Pitchfork

That explains why I hadn't heard of them until recently. I rarely read any type of music magazine (online or otherwise).