Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Do you think the internet has improved the way people articulate themselves? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9804)

porkmarras 01.12.2007 06:31 PM

Do you think the internet has improved the way people articulate themselves?

I can't give an answer as i can't articulate myself over the internet so i gave up alltogether.Still,do you think that this is possible in this medium of loud talkers on mute?

PAULYBEE2656 01.12.2007 06:53 PM

me articulate good when i arent in the computer webspace ok. with intertelly on me articulte good yeah with no face to put eye picture on it is more laugh making emotion.

Inhuman 01.12.2007 07:27 PM

The internet caused a lot of people to believe it's funny to holla "EL-OH-EL" after a joke is said. In some areas it improves and others it decreases.

atari 2600 01.12.2007 07:28 PM

Funny stuff, guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
I can't give an answer as i can't articulate myself over the internet so i gave up alltogether.Still,do you think that this is possible in this medium of loud talkers on mute?

SRSLY?

atari 2600 01.12.2007 07:29 PM

I suppose it ultimately depends on the user.

Use it or lose it.

ORLY?

Yeah, really.

noumenal 01.12.2007 07:36 PM

Is it possible to articulate yourself at all? I say no.

soapbars 01.12.2007 07:38 PM

rotflmfao!!!!!1

Inhuman 01.12.2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapbars
rotflmfao!!!!!1

ME 2 LOL

cryptowonderdruginvogue 01.12.2007 08:29 PM

omgwtfroflorlylolerskatesBBQ!

atari 2600 01.12.2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
Is it possible to articulate yourself at all? I say no.

True, it's an adjective. I have encountered people that slangily use it that way like the topic sentence.

as an adjective:
I feel her oration was very articulate.

The speaker gave an articulate oration.

We all understood without question what we had to do owing to Mr. Cabot's emphatic and articulate presentation.

as an adverb:
Upon first meeting women, he had a rather peculiar habit of articulately describing his penis, both flaccid and in various stages of arousal, in great detail.

noumenal 01.12.2007 08:39 PM

Well, I think it's OK to use it as a verb with an object, just not "yourself" as the object. Doesn't make sense.

atari 2600 01.12.2007 08:42 PM

As a verb:

I really think he was able to articulate himself rather well.

edit: oopsy daisy

this is yet another example of how how the woed is commonly used slangily

Inhuman 01.12.2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
I can't give an answer as i can't articulate myself over the internet so i gave up alltogether.

Either ironic or he did it purposely!

noumenal 01.12.2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
As a verb:

I really think he was able to articulate himself rather well.

Yeah, I've heard people say that. Maybe I'm full of it.

noumenal 01.12.2007 08:49 PM

Just because people say it doesn't make it "correct," but then again, if people say it enough, maybe it is "correct."

atari 2600 01.12.2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
Yeah, I've heard people say that. Maybe I'm full of it.

dictionary dot com (by omission) says it is improper, so we (you were all along) were right in the beginning.

–verb (used without object) 15.to pronounce clearly each of a succession of speech sounds, syllables, or words; enunciate: to articulate with excessive precision.

intransitive and transitive forms:
v. tr.
  1. To pronounce distinctly and carefully; enunciate.
  2. To utter (a speech sound) by making the necessary movements of the speech organs.
  3. To express in coherent verbal form; give words to: couldn't articulate my fears.
  4. To fit together into a coherent whole; unify: a plan to articulate nursing programs throughout the state.
  5. Anatomy To unite by forming a joint or joints.
  6. Architecture To give visible or concrete expression to (the composition of structural elements): a spare design in which windows and doors are barely articulated.
v. intr.
  1. To speak clearly and distinctly.
  2. To utter a speech sound.
  3. Anatomy To form a joint; be jointed: The thighbone articulates with the bones of the hip.
I wonder what other online dictionaries say. I believe this is correct though.

Norma J 01.12.2007 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
Either ironic or he did it purposely!

HAHA.

As for the thread: My grammar is better than it was before I started frequenting the internet. It's not great now and it will never be great, nor do I care either way. But I never used capitals or had a very clear understanding as to when they should be used or whatever, and plus a bunch of other things. Just things I picked up - nothing I tried to learn or whatever. Nothing big. I'm thinking of doing away with all them though and typing without capitals or whatever. Much quicker.

noumenal 01.12.2007 08:57 PM

But I think according to the dictionary, to articulate something means to "To pronounce distinctly; to utter, give utterance to; to express in words" so I think you can articulate words, ideas, your thoughts, your opinion, and so on, but not "yourself." I mean, to say "he articulated himself" basically means "he articulated his ideas well," and everybody knows what you mean, so what's the difference. I guess my joke was getting at that little logical kink. Whatever, I hate myself.

Edit: oh, I see your post now, Atari. LOL.......uh. I still hate myself. I logged into the OED for this. I gotta go get some dinner. And a life.

atari 2600 01.12.2007 09:01 PM

I think I wrote in all lower case most of the time during my first couple of years here.

Inhuman 01.12.2007 09:04 PM

I often find myself randomly capitalizing Words in midsentence.