Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Smashing Pumpkins (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=59763)

livemusic 09.27.2011 10:47 AM

Smashing Pumpkins

Anyone into them out here?

I love their earlier albums, and totally admire Spun's soundtrack.

floatingslowly 09.27.2011 11:58 AM

do you reckon washed-up musicians troll the Internet in hopes that somewhere...out there....somebody cares??

Billy, if that's you (again), please stop. it's true that ni'k loved you, but he's gone now. gone like D'arcy, gone like Jimmy, gone, baby, GONE.

as a side-note: nobody's ever cared for James. what a sorry cunt, that one.

floatingslowly 09.27.2011 12:12 PM

this thread is now about LOL-D'Arcy.

dirty bunny 09.27.2011 12:29 PM

When playing World of Warcraft some guy claimed to be from the band Genesis. He asked anyone interested to meet him in Goldshire to prove it somehow. It sounded kinda shady to me so I didn't do it.

As for the original post, no, not really into them :s

louder 09.27.2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny
When playing World of Warcraft some guy claimed to be from the band Genesis. He asked anyone interested to meet him in Goldshire to prove it somehow. It sounded kinda shady to me so I didn't do it.

As for the original post, no, not really into them :s

lol

^not even this album?
it's the only album they made i'd ever put on.. but damn it's amazing. Billy Corgan was a guitar god.

dirty bunny 09.27.2011 12:54 PM

Well I don't mind a few of their songs, like Rocket and er, the killer in me is the killer in you one (can't remember the name). But their full albums just don't hold my interest. I don't think they ever found the right balance between their ballads and their harder-rocking numbers. Their ballads are too squishy and their hard rockers are too sludgy. And their lyrics are pure nonsense.

With apologies to Smashing Pumpkins fans.

louder 09.27.2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny
Well I don't mind a few of their songs, like Rocket and er, the killer in me is the killer in you one (can't remember the name). But their full albums just don't hold my interest. I don't think they ever found the right balance between their ballads and their harder-rocking numbers. Their ballads are too squishy and their hard rockers are too sludgy. And their lyrics are pure nonsense.

With apologies to Smashing Pumpkins fans.

Disarm (the "killer in me is the killer in you" song) is the only song i dislike on SD, tbh.. whatevs.
that album is still a masterpiece to me all the way through.. especially towards the end with Geek USA & Mayonaise.

E. Noisefield 09.27.2011 06:04 PM

There's no question that they were a talented band, but they chose to be retards, and now they are the RUSH of our generation.

I was entering my teens when "Bullet..." came out, and for a time they were pretty much the biggest band in the world. Kids like me thought they might turn out to be our Beatles, or, since we'd *just* missed them, our Nirvana. "Bullet..." sparked the same kind of energy that "SLTS" did.

Anyway, I was just a sprat when Kurt Cobain died, and only had Unplugged in NY. I didn't really become a Nirvana fan until months after Cobain died. As a result, I felt like a "poseur", and desperately wanted some definitive band of my own to cling to, that I could tell my kids about... much like my father and uncles talk to me about the Beatles.

Kinda stupid, right? Well, I was young. Anyway, the Pumpkins tuned out to be a massive disappointment in every way. Adore was horrible. Machina was a bad joke, and Zeitgeist was Chinese Democracy for alt. kids.

I could probably get a lot of nostalgic joy out of listening to Mellon Collie now, but my overall impression of the band is that they are the epitome of suck, and that Billy Corgan is just Trent Reznor with less talent and ambition. Out of all the bands I loved as a young kid (pre-SY), Nirvana and NIN are the only ones that I still heartily love and respect.

the SPs fall into the Stone Temple Pilots category. I might turn certain songs up when they come on the FM and rock out for a sec, but I know it's trash.

By the way, Siamese Dream... My Bloody Valentine and Boston called... they want their bastard back.

Torn Curtain 09.28.2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Adore was horrible.

I love Adore.

E. Noisefield 09.28.2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
I love Adore.

No offense intended at all- I know a lot of people like that record, but to me it was like... uhhhhh.... isn't this supposed to be a rock band?

I'm all for rock artists toolin' around with mellow electronica. Usually it's a disaster, but it can be good too.

For instance, when NIN released the Fragile, it was not the thundering, triumphant, industrial-pop, smack in the face rock record I was expecting (and hoping for). It wasn't immediately satisfying in any way. As I continued to listen, and as I grew older, and my attention span increased, I found its virtues, and realized that, despite a few pimples (the singles in particular are sucktacular... "We're in thie Together" is pathetic, and "Starfuckers" is as much of a joke as anything the Pumpkins ever did), it's actually a magnificent album, and way ahead of its time-- way too intricate and bizarre for mainstream audiences. There are some GREAT songs on that album, and it's because Trent was finally making rockin' electronic music instead of quasi-electronic rock. "La Mer" might be the best song NIN's ever done.

But Adore was A-bore. And it bombed. And only the hardcores like it. It flopped like a flacid dick in a cold shower. WHAT DID THEY EXPECT?!?!? They were a stadium rock band, channeling the emotions of a generation (they focused, lyrically, so specifically on youth that I think this was intentional), and then they follow up "Bullet w/ Butterfly Wings" and "Zero" with fucking "Perfect".

And Corgan is no Reznor. He may fancy himself an electronic musician, but he isn't. He's a guitar player (damn good one), a singer, and a songwriter. He was not DJ Shadow... the Pumpkins were not Portishead. They thought trip-hop and electronic music was going to be the next "grunge" so they latched on, and the result was ham-fisted and pitiful.

But I don't judge people based on their taste in music.

I don't mean to offend anyone... except possibly for Billy Corgan and his cohorts.

livemusic 09.30.2011 03:58 AM

Lot of mixed reactions out here. Again, I don't like to impose music on people, and I respect people's taste unless you like Backstreet Boys where it starts to get annoying and I start to judge you.. :P

Next who's into Pearl Jam?

[Don't wanna ask who's into Sonic Youth, coz that's asking the obvious. Why would u even be here if you didn't :) ]

E. Noisefield 09.30.2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livemusic
Lot of mixed reactions out here. Again, I don't like to impose music on people, and I respect people's taste unless you like Backstreet Boys where it starts to get annoying and I start to judge you.. :P

Next who's into Pearl Jam?

[Don't wanna ask who's into Sonic Youth, coz that's asking the obvious. Why would u even be here if you didn't :) ]

I still support Pearl Jam, and enjoy Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield, but TEN is terrible, and everything since Binaural has been pretty uninspired.

They still rock live, though, and I'll be a supporter forever, even if I'm not buying every re-release.

They've lost some spark. However, "Fixer" was promising. That was the first time I'd heard PJ sound like the PJ I grew up with since 200. Too bad the album blew.

livemusic 10.01.2011 12:23 AM

Ok, personally I love Pearl Jam. Totally do. And Smashing Pumpkins comes a real close second.

For those who haven't heard, Smashing Pumpkins is gonna kick off on a mini US tour starting Oct 5 at Los Angeles.

Oct 05 Los Angeles, CA Wiltern Theatre
Oct 07 Oakland, CA The Fox Theatre
Oct 08 Las Vegas, NV Cosmopolitan
Oct 10 Denver, CO Ogden Theatre
Oct 13 Milwaukee, WI Riverside Theatre
Oct 14 Chicago, IL The Riviera Theatre
Oct 15 Detroit, MI The Fillmore
Oct 17 Washington, DC 930 Club
Oct 18 New York, NY Terminal 5
Oct 19 Providence, RI Lupo's
Oct 21 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre
Oct 22 Philadelphia, PA Tower Theatre

deflinus 10.01.2011 11:05 AM

I find myself skipping Smashing Pumpkins on my ipod a lot lately.
Mellon Collie was one of the first alternative albums I listened to.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.01.2011 01:29 PM

A decent band that released some great tracks and some godawful ones, all with a dorky bald white man leading them up and down the pop charts. If anything, they're our generation's R.E.M.

EVOLghost 10.01.2011 01:33 PM

Yeah. A friend of mine is going to the show....but I just don't care to see them right now. Plus....it's only Billy...so...not really missing out n stufff

EVOLghost 10.01.2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
I still support Pearl Jam, and enjoy Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield, but TEN is terrible, and everything since Binaural has been pretty uninspired.

They still rock live, though, and I'll be a supporter forever, even if I'm not buying every re-release.

They've lost some spark. However, "Fixer" was promising. That was the first time I'd heard PJ sound like the PJ I grew up with since 200. Too bad the album blew.

Hell yeah! PJ ROCKS! i've seen 'em like 4 or 5 times already. Best album is No Code, fuck! Last time I seen them live they played "In my Tree" which is a top 3(in mybook) off No Code. ANd YES Ten is godawful. I actually like Riot Act too..and I feel embarassed to say that I haven't listened to anything after...lol.

GeneticKiss 10.01.2011 02:14 PM

I guess the biggest problem I have with Smashing Pumpkins is the overall mastermind of the whole thing...Billy Corgan can be an awesome guitarist and songwriter, but he needs to reel it in a little when it comes to the ego. When Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness came out, I remember somebody referred to it as "The Wall for Generation X"...I thought it was a a reviewer, but I went back and found out it was Corgan himself! Not cool. I much prefer it when musicians are heaped with accolades and the response from them is more along the lines of "(shrug) We were just expressing ourselves, but thanks". By all means believe in yourself, but leave the praise to others.

That said, the following Pumpkins songs are awesome:

Siva
Rhinoceros
Cherub Rock
Today
Hummer
Soma
Mayonaise
Silverfuck
Starla
Tonight, Tonight
Jellybelly
Zero
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Galapogos
Love
Cupid de Locke
Muzzle
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
Where Boys Fear to Tread
Bodies
Thirty-Three
Tales of a Scorched Earth
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
By Starlight
Christmastime
Transformer
The End is the Beginning is the End
The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
Eye
Ava Adore
Daphne Descends
Appels + Oranjes
Pug
For Martha
The Everlasting Gaze
Doomsday Clock
Bleeding the Orchid
That's the Way (My Love Is)
Bring the Light
(Come On) Let's Go!

EVOLghost 10.01.2011 02:28 PM

You forgot Geek USA

GeneticKiss 10.01.2011 04:06 PM

Eh...Geek USA is okay, but I never thought it was anything amazing...