Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

Severian 05.06.2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
OH yeah! On my travels this past week I hit a record/funky store called The Leechpit, in Manitou Springs Colorado. I got these two items

Only one I did not have on vinyl.

and

I love Television....

Wait, are you talking about "Thee World Famous Leechpit?" Collectibles and clothes and records and vintage junk?

If so I've totally been there.

Severian 05.06.2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Went back to a local store that I remembered had Bad Moon Rising and picked up the copy.

The "reissue?" Anything new about it?

Man, that album... And Evol... And Sister.. deserve full-scale deluxe reissue treatments as much or more than the records that got the treatment years ago.

tw2113 05.06.2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
The "reissue?" Anything new about it?

Man, that album... And Evol... And Sister.. deserve full-scale deluxe reissue treatments as much or more than the records that got the treatment years ago.

Nothing new/extra that I saw, looks like a standard repress

Rob Instigator 05.07.2015 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Wait, are you talking about "Thee World Famous Leechpit?" Collectibles and clothes and records and vintage junk?

If so I've totally been there.

That's the one! Cool owner. Had some great stuff for a small town store, but not much that I did not already have (zing!....#collectorbrag)

rebeccagotcursedout 05.08.2015 04:17 PM

that Television album is sweet. nice. only slightly less than Marquee. "the Dream's Dream" is one of my favorite tunes by them.

Severian 05.15.2015 07:02 PM

KNXWLEDGE - Hud Dreems (Stones Throw, 2015)

EDIT: Originally, I called this album "out there and brilliant," a "must hear," and compared Knxwledge to Ras G & the Afrikan Space Program.

Truth is, this is a dope collection of beats, and I would highly recommend it to fans of Jazz & Afro-funk influenced instrumental hip-hop, but calling it "brilliant" was overzealous and kind of insulting to the artists who turned beat-making into a legitimate art form that could carry an entire album on its own. So please, don't expect Knx to hold a candle to Pete Rock, J Dilla, Premier, Madlib, J Rocc, etc.

That said, music doesn't have to be revolutionary to be really fuckin' good. And there's plenty of promise here. He's a good match for Stones Throw, and I hope to hear more collaborative work from him in the future.

Also, like Kamasi Washington's successful new record, The Epic, Hud Dreems ha a very natural and present feel to it, as though it's sound and vibe somehow just fit with the spirit of 2015.
This is, of course, because both Knxwledge and Washington contributed to Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, which has in the 3 months since its release, already become both a cultural phenomenon and a hip-hop classic. Hud Dreems shares a bit of DNA with the biggest album of the year, and at times, it feels like a TPAB spinoff or side story.

So, yeah. Here's a song from Knx's 2010 LP Klouds:

http://youtu.be/b7ty2uAqurM

two faced egg 06.08.2015 12:52 PM

The Pale Emperor - Marilyn Manson .. ... Clear Vinyl , Sounds Marvelous & Magikal on my Ol' Decca Mono Valve turntable'

The Soup Nazi 06.09.2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two faced egg
The Pale Emperor - Marilyn Manson

Severian 06.11.2015 09:49 PM

Nosaj Thing - Fated

Severian 06.11.2015 09:56 PM

^ Ownwr at my record store (where I still do some bookkeeping, but haven't been around as much to order promos and make recommendations) saw me come to the register with this, and the cranky old bastard said "what the hell is this all about?"

It made me sad. He usually makes an effort to stay on top of things so he can converse with younger customers about what they're into, but he looked so confused that I wasn't buying some CRASS reissue (which I've been known to do). For some reason it made the experience kind of sour.

But the record is oozy woozy dribbly wibbly awesome.

SYRFox 06.13.2015 10:23 AM

found the Bright bootleg in a record store here, been a while since I last bought anything Sonic Youth but this was a great opportunity to do it :)

Severian 06.15.2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
found the Bright bootleg in a record store here, been a while since I last bought anything Sonic Youth but this was a great opportunity to do it :)

Cool find. I don't have that one, but I've always kept an eye out for it. The official Sonic Youth data page is missing some info on it, I see. There's a "?" In the "origin" section, but I thought it was released by a German imprint.

Anyway, what do you think?

Torn Curtain 06.19.2015 06:26 PM

Ordered:

(Lady Lamb - After)

Rob Instigator 06.26.2015 04:54 PM

In honor of a friend's first Father's Day.

Music I got into because of MIchael Cavazos http://instigatorvideojukebox.blogsp...ntroduced.html

Torn Curtain 06.28.2015 01:51 PM

Ordered:

Rob Instigator 06.29.2015 08:46 AM

Bought this for my friend's 40th birthday, on grey vinyl

FREE COCAINE

The Soup Nazi 07.01.2015 06:18 PM

Bytor Peltor 07.10.2015 03:22 PM

Received a package in the mail from Peat Bog:

Earthmonkey - 'Unreleased Out-Takes.'

One of the tracks if 39:00 minutes long......a few tracks are a sneak peak to an upcoming 2015 release on Xambuca Records.

Bytor Peltor 07.13.2015 04:17 PM

Neil Campbell / Blood Stereo Split - "Todmorden Gonzo Attack"

Rob Instigator 07.14.2015 08:04 AM

Finally found a copy of this for not too high a cost!!!! Been hunting the LP down forever....