Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "song-to-song" relationships and connections (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=199)

rocky 03.23.2006 01:59 PM

"song-to-song" relationships and connections

Sonic Youth to my understanding,
aren't really known for having songs with tangible connections to other songs on the same album, or across the catalogue.
but have you ever percieved any?
Just as in, are there any songs you like to put together?
Spit um out and let's chat about it.
Also, if it's all you've got, be a drag and discuss any SY songs which are soundalikes. ;)

(real!) examples:
i think of Bull in the Heather and Heather Angel as a pair,
kim's vox in the beginning of Heather Angel and the guitar throughout sound like ideas from Bull in the Heather being shone through a kaliedescope.

the first few times i listened to Daydream Nation I thought The Wonder was meant to pick up where Eric's Trip ended. "There's something moving over there to the right, like nothing i've ever seen" to "See flashing eyes" and the rest of that first part. I feel like i was just confused at the time, but i haven't forgotten about thinking so...
//
ok, let's go! :)

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 03.23.2006 03:52 PM

I always felt that Daydream Nation was or at least felt like a concept album. I can envision a Pink Floyd style movie that would accompany it quite well.

I also like the idea of EJST&NS being a conversation between a couple. Can't remember where I heard that the first time.

Bad Moon Rising fits very well together also; the songs all seem to build off each other in terms of forming a horror movie type scenario.

Hip Priest 03.23.2006 05:00 PM

I'm going to think about this more, but I'll start by saying that two consecutive tracks on Dirty ie On the Strip and Chapel Hill, seem utterly inseperable to me. I'm not too sure why.

HaydenAsche 03.23.2006 05:14 PM

The whole Unicorns album blends as one giant masterpiece. They don't all sound alike or anything but they all seem to tell a story of ghosts and rainbows.

noumenal 03.23.2006 05:50 PM

Becuz and its coda on Washing Machine is the obvious answer that comes to mind. And of course Snare, Girl and Stil. I love to play Stil first and then Snare, Girl.

But those are obvious, I'll try to think of some more.

noumenal 03.23.2006 05:52 PM

Actually, I think with SY, the more interesting relationships are within songs. I have a lot of interesting analyses of SY in my head.

Hip Priest 03.23.2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
Actually, I think with SY, the more interesting relationships are within songs. I have a lot of interesting analyses of SY in my head.

Which gives me an idea - a thread (stickied?) for boardie's reviws of SY stuff.

noumenal 03.23.2006 06:24 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me.

schizophrenicroom 03.23.2006 06:45 PM

I always tie together The Sprawl and Hey Joni.

top 40 squeeze 03.24.2006 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky
Sonic Youth to my understanding,
aren't really known for having songs with tangible connections to other songs on the same album, or across the catalogue.
but have you ever percieved any?
Just as in, are there any songs you like to put together?
Spit um out and let's chat about it.
Also, if it's all you've got, be a drag and discuss any SY songs which are soundalikes. ;)

(real!) examples:
i think of Bull in the Heather and Heather Angel as a pair,
kim's vox in the beginning of Heather Angel and the guitar throughout sound like ideas from Bull in the Heather being shone through a kaliedescope.

the first few times i listened to Daydream Nation I thought The Wonder was meant to pick up where Eric's Trip ended. "There's something moving over there to the right, like nothing i've ever seen" to "See flashing eyes" and the rest of that first part. I feel like i was just confused at the time, but i haven't forgotten about thinking so...
//
ok, let's go! :)

And the OBVIOUS:

Karen Koltrane
Karen Revisited

RockerNino 03.24.2006 01:24 AM

yea, the Karens are big.

guitarpro 03.24.2006 02:38 PM

Bad Moon Rising is a great album. I love I'm Insnae great song.

h8kurdt 03.24.2006 02:51 PM

Bad moon rising is the most obvious one. All the songs mould into one (and I usually hate that) to make the soundtrack to your nightmares.

saoq 03.24.2006 03:10 PM

wildflower soul - rain on tin

luckynumber9 03.24.2006 10:53 PM

I usually listen to The Sprawl and 'Cross the Breeze together.

Also, Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit always makes me think of Stereo Sanctity. The opening guitar part sounds similar.

And whenever I listen to Winner's Blues, for some reason I feel like listening to Schizophrenia.

(just kidding about that last one).

doctor dan 03.25.2006 07:11 PM

obviously the karens are related directly- karen revisited is a follow on with the character. and yeh, i also cant seperate in my mind most of bad moon rising, but i suppose thats mainly because it segues into one another.

samuel 03.25.2006 07:17 PM

very interesting ideas,
I know there are some connections I see in Sonic Youth songs
but I can't think of any right now
I'll try to post later

another obvious
the "a thousand leaves" reference in Contre Le Sexisme, Female Mechanic Now On Duty, and French Tickler

Everyneurotic 03.25.2006 07:37 PM

youth against fascism with nic fit

everytime i watch corporate ghost i always think sy should have recorded a counterpart video of just one camera without any filtering or post production of them ripping thru a live version of nic fit in the same location as y-vs-f as a sort of coda to both the song and the video, to counterbalance the glossy nature of that video.

schizophrenicroom 03.25.2006 08:50 PM

I was listening to Sister tonight and for some reason Pipeline/Kill Time and White Kross seemed really connected. I have no idea why.

cagedbird 03.09.2007 01:21 AM

Schizophrenia and Reena becuz they both talk about friendships and
going home.