Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Finding more trilogies: fun/spacey summer project :) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=107442)

rocky 07.07.2014 01:57 PM

Finding more trilogies: fun/spacey summer project :)

Trilogy is a one of a kind experience within a Sonic Youth album, but, how many other possible trilogies of songs, that would feel like amazing friends together/expansive sound journeys, do exist?

There are so many possible songs to choose from, and, it is always a good experience to find older music in new contexts.
There are no rules, it does not have to include different vocalists between the songs, i just wanted to do that in my example.
please include any songs from solo work as well!
if you have many ideas at once, definitely post them, i think each person's ideas will be different! :D
Enjoy this summer/southern hemisphere winter project!! :)

my example trilogy:

Schizophrenia
Washing Machine
Hoarfrost

Rob Instigator 07.07.2014 02:17 PM

Mote
Wish Fulfillment
Karen Revisited

pantophobia 07.07.2014 02:21 PM

are you asking for a thematic or aural connection between three songs or how do you mean? trying to get at where you are coming from

whorefrost 07.07.2014 02:30 PM

Contre Le Sexisme
Tunic
Early American

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.07.2014 04:08 PM

I don't like this thread because you can't just arbitrarily link together Sonic Youth songs like that.. Trilogy was really just one song, it sounds like a cohesive unit, it was just labelled as if it were 3 different songs 1970s LP style to stretch out the royalties

rocky 07.07.2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
are you asking for a thematic or aural connection between three songs or how do you mean? trying to get at where you are coming from

Any connection between three songs will work! Thematic and aural will be very interesting as there are some out there, but certainly also the indescribable connections that can be found just by having them play one after the other!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I don't like this thread because you can't just arbitrarily link together Sonic Youth songs like that.. Trilogy was really just one song, it sounds like a cohesive unit, it was just labelled as if it were 3 different songs 1970s LP style to stretch out the royalties

I understand :) It is mostly using Trilogy as an example, it is almost sort of just like making short SY mixtapes or imaginary EPs to share. I do think that the unique depth of emotion and tonality within Sonic Youth music allows this to be somewhat more possible than with many other groups. Here is one for you and one for Panto also! :)

Providence
Stereo Sanctity
Hits of Sunshine

~

Beauty Lies In the Eye
JC
Massage the History

Mortte Jousimo 07.08.2014 06:46 AM

Expressway to your skull
Moon in the Bathroom
Sympathy For the strawberry

pantophobia 07.08.2014 11:25 AM

was thinking about it all last night with a blank, but after running in 90F weather just now somehow hit the spot

SoCal Revelry Trilogy

Cinderella's Big Score
On The Strip
Sweet Shine

demonrail666 07.08.2014 01:41 PM

Early American
Expressway
Anagrama

foreverasskiss 07.08.2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia

this.

but..

nicfit
hotwire my heart
ramones cover
i wanna be yr dog

noisereductions 07.08.2014 09:28 PM

NYC Ghosts & Flowers (album)
SYR5 (album)
Murray Street (album)

Peterpuff 07.11.2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky

Schizophrenia
Washing Machine
Hoarfrost

Actually, the thought of Washing Machine's outro providing the perfect mood and feel for intro of Hoarfrost kinda gives me chills, I gotta be honest. I like that thought a lot. So in that mellow-mood setting state of mind, I thought of one I would enjoy.

Unwind
Snare, Girl
I Dreamed I Dream

Magic Wheel Memory 07.11.2014 09:50 PM

Tunic (Song for Karen)
Karen Koltrane
Karen Revisited

I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason I have always associated these songs with each other.