Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What's out up w. the "School's Open" guitar? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=152)

top 40 squeeze 03.22.2006 07:54 PM

What's out up w. the "School's Open" guitar?

I'm sure there was a thread about this on the old board, but does anyone know why Thurston and Kim always use the exact same guitar for noise improv shows? It's covered in stickers with the most prominent being one that says "School's Open" or something on it. I've seen Thurston play about a dozen times and he always uses this one. Is his favorite? Is it extra sturdy? Is it the one tuning he prefers to improv with? The most versatitle? The only one he knows how to do noise improv with, haha? Kim uses it as well, whenever she plays with Jim and Ikue Mori. So, what's up with this guitar? I really get the feeling it would be a fresh experience to see Thurston use some more of his arsenal at his improv shows, like when he did a couple mirror/dash dates using an acoustic.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.22.2006 08:47 PM

because its cool. might as well use it up, I say!

hey alex 03.23.2006 01:41 AM

rhys, i love that sig.
ANd on guitars... probably just like his main gun or something.

marleypumpkin 03.23.2006 02:13 AM

What are the dates for some upcoming improv shows f/ Thurston & Kim? Please help me.

whorefrost 03.23.2006 02:53 AM

anyone know what tuning that guitar is in?

!@#$%! 03.23.2006 03:06 AM

ah, those are great questions. here are pics from noise against fascism (courtesy brother patty) to confirm:

moreover, it's not just them but also magik markers used the same guitar @ that show.

funny thing is kim was terrified watching eliza dish it out on her instrument. then oh she had to nurse it back to health. not happy!

eliza of course got karmic retribution on a different show... but i won't go over that this time. :D

toxic johnny 03.23.2006 03:43 AM

Hell yeah... When I saw the Markers play Barden's Boudoir in London Elisa managed to destroy her guitar within the first five minutes... it literally fell apart!... must have been an accumulation of all of that raw energy and feminine power... too much for one guitar to take night after night methinks.

Good call with the question Top 40 Squeeze... I've often wondered the same thing.

Richard Pryor on Fire 03.23.2006 03:45 AM

I always wondered how much time they spend having to fix their guitars, my shit is always getting fucked up and I don't beat them half as bad as SY ever does.

Bal 03.23.2006 05:33 AM

if i click on the images i still cant view them in the original size...
whys that?

xpressway2yrskull 03.23.2006 06:35 AM

Being the guitar geek I am, I think that guitar is usually in CGDGCD... The alteration on the 'Pavement' tuning (used on Nurse quite a bit). I find any of the CG tunings fun to just mess around in.

CGCGCG (across 3 octaves) is what caused the death of my Epi last weekend. The whole nut has come off and the bridge now rattles. You'd think that would stop me playing with drumsticks......

Jef Mertens 03.30.2006 03:39 AM

BOMBS DROP WHILE YOU CHOP sticker

love the phrase, anyone knows what it refers to?

whorefrost 03.30.2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jef Mertens

capitalist denial of fascist governmental foriegn policy?

Everyneurotic 03.30.2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Pryor on Fire
I always wondered how much time they spend having to fix their guitars, my shit is always getting fucked up and I don't beat them half as bad as SY ever does.

it's because you don't beat them to shape. seriously! i throw and drop my guitars and give them a hard time to build resistance and it has worked so far. one of my last shows, by the end of the set, i throw the guitar across the stage floor and it bounced around a bit and the only thing that happened to was that the strap lock screw came off.

chabib 03.30.2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jef Mertens

shop not chop

Jef Mertens 03.30.2006 03:04 PM

Ok thanks Chris.
That obviously makes more sense.