Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Movies to see before you die (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3454)

Sonic Youth 37 06.26.2006 04:27 PM

Movies to see before you die

What, in yr opinion, are some movies that one must see in their life? Just compile a list and give a brief explanation for each or some if you like. I feel this is an interesting and enlightening experiment. You can learn alot about a person by their taste in art, movies being a prime example of such.

My list
1. Casablanca-needs no explanation
2. Citizen Kane
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. Annie Hall
5. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly-Leone was a master
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
7. Amadeus
8. Psycho
9. Seven Year Itch
10. Shawshank Redemption
11. Forrest Gump
12. Platoon
13. National Lampoon's Vacation
14. Trainspotting
15. Caddyshack
16. Raiders of the Lost Ark
17. Ben-Hur
18. The Maltese Falcon
19. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory-a personal favorite that I refuse to buy because I enjoy watching it on TV late at night when I find that its on
20. Goodfellas

That's my short list. I might expand it to 50 later. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's take on this.

TheDom 06.26.2006 04:36 PM

I am going to keep checkinh to this thread. I've gotten really into movies and shit lately. I probably did not watch any movies for like 10 years. I gotta catch up on the good shit!

The only one I can think of right now is Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. I just bought it today at a flea market.

Sonic Youth 37 06.26.2006 04:39 PM

Yeah, I came across Trainspotting in a similar manner. $8 in a used movie store.

finding nobody 06.26.2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
The only one I can think of right now is Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. I just bought it today at a flea market.

i was about to say name that movie. have you watched it yet?

Gogogonorrhea 06.26.2006 04:55 PM

Mullholland Drive, and after watching that movie your only wish will really just be death, fast and without any mental pain, please. So looked and felt my pants afterwards.

luxinterior 06.26.2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
7. Amadeus

I wrote a really kickass essay on Amadeus once.

atari 2600 06.26.2006 04:59 PM

you've got some up there that I would, sy 37. Psycho is my #3 & 2001 is my favorite Kubrick & is in the top 10.

schizophrenicroom 06.26.2006 04:59 PM

Dazed and Confused and The Empire Strikes Back need to be on there.

luxinterior 06.26.2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
12. Platoon

And Platoon. My essay on Platoon was longer than it should have been. But I've seen that movie hundreds of times. That is the price I pay for being a rabid Willem Dafoe fan.

HaydenAsche 06.26.2006 05:07 PM

I don't know. Here are my favorite movies.

the Big Lebowski
Office Space
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

FruitLoop 06.26.2006 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gogogonorrhea
Mullholland Drive, and after watching that movie your only wish will really just be death, fast and without any mental pain, please. So looked and felt my pants afterwards.

I'll second that. Mullholland Drive is the movie you have to watch before you die, as you'll spend the rest of yr life wondering what the f*ck it's all about, as well as wondering why you've spent 5$ at bluckbuster for something harder to solve than a rubik's cube.

Hip Priest 06.26.2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
...the Big Lebowski...

That's a great movie. It was that film that got me into Creedence Clearwater Revival, too.

My 10 favourite films of the past 20 years (stops it being a ludicrously long and time-consuming list):

Pi
Noi Albinoi
What to do in Case of Fire
Withnail and I
Dog Soldiers
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking BArrels
Versus
And the Wind Will Carry Us
Real Fiction

LittlePuppetBoy 06.26.2006 05:35 PM

Seven Samurai!!!!

krastian 06.26.2006 05:39 PM

Taxi Driver, Interview With the Vampire, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Hellraiser I and II, stuff....

jennthebenn 06.26.2006 05:43 PM

In Cold Blood
Running on Empty
anything John Waters directed, namely Pink Flamingos, Hairspray, Female Trouble

LittlePuppetBoy 06.26.2006 05:43 PM

you should (if you are into crude comedy) check out Anchorman (where my signature comes from). Rashomon is also a good choice.

LifeDistortion 06.26.2006 06:31 PM

Harold and Maude
2001: A Space Oddessy
Amadeus
Airplane
The Exorcist
Raising Arizona ("Son, You Got A Panty On Your Head" One of the greatest lines in movie history)
The Wild Bunch
Raiders of the Lost Ark (The opening sequence is one of the greatest introductions to one of the greast film characters of all time)
A Christmas Story

I'll post more if I think of more.

TheDom 06.26.2006 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
i was about to say name that movie. have you watched it yet?

Yeah, I watched it two weeks ago for the first time. Fucking amazing. Jim Carey used to annoy me, but he does a hell of a job in it.

I just rented Eraserhead, so this should be fun.

Phlegmscope 06.26.2006 07:24 PM

I'm not much of a movie fanatic and don't care about most of the classics, but before I die I want to see as many Takashi Miike films as possible.
Today I saw his short film Box, it was ok.

Пятхъдесят Шест 06.26.2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Harold and Maude

My high school English teacher showed this video to us, and I'm still not sure if I like it. The Cat Stevens soundtrack fit very well. Odd sex scene. VERY ODD.