Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth on the jukebox! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31691)

Keeping It Simple 05.31.2009 04:12 PM

Sonic Youth on the jukebox!

Is it rare for a Sonic Youth song to be one of the selections on a jukebox? I ask because I was pleasantly surprised to discover "Bull in the Heather" as one of the selection of songs on a jukebox in a backpacker's bar in Auckland, New Zealand! It made a change from listening to "Whisky in the Jar" by Thin Lizzy for the umpteenth time!

sarramkrop 05.31.2009 04:14 PM

My local sleaze bar has them on the jukebox, but it's always the same two songs, 'Candle' and 'Death Valley 69'.

Keeping It Simple 05.31.2009 04:16 PM

At least you had two.

Bertrand 06.01.2009 04:25 AM

A few months after the release of Dirty there were some on in a little bar in Paris.
"Bull" is more of a surprise.

Keeping It Simple 06.01.2009 05:13 AM

I think I may have mixed up "Bull in the Heather" with another song of theirs. It was a long time ago, so it's hard to know exactly which song it was. It probably sounded a bit like "Bull in the Heather", hence my confusion.

sonic sphere 06.01.2009 06:46 AM

goo is on the jukebox in my favourite pub. they also had dirty on for a while too. big hands/the temple in manchester, u.k.

koolthing78 06.01.2009 10:58 AM

I go some sports bar (actually, it's just called "The Sports Bar") to play NTN trivia with my friend. They have one of those digital jukeboxes that can do a "mega-search" or whatever (only the songs are 2 credits instead of one). Last weekend (since I only had a dollar bill and didn't want to waste it on 2 short songs) I got "Total Trash" and "Sympathy for the Strawberry." Then the regular Bon Jovi, Van Halen, and whatever else songs came back on. But it was a nice 12 minutes, or so.

deflinus 06.01.2009 11:30 AM

i live in america, so all we have in jukeboxes are led zeppelin and elton john

Keeping It Simple 05.29.2010 06:54 PM

I was in a local pub tonight and looked through its jukebox song selection. I checked out the 80s Indie choices and discovered (I Got A) Catholic Block off the band's Sister album.

cagedbird 05.29.2010 08:47 PM

my bro played Diamond Sea a few years ago at an inn and one of the locals was heard to say it sounds like cats fighting.

jetengine 05.31.2010 05:08 PM

I sometimes think it's illegal to have a jukebox without Fleetwood Mac's Rumours here in Canada....

EVOLghost 05.31.2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koolthing78
They have one of those digital jukeboxes that can do a "mega-search" or whatever (only the songs are 2 credits instead of one).

haha yeah! This one bar by me house has one. It's fucking great! They got the whole discography on there. Fuck. it's fantastic playing that thing. I've put on Skip Tracer, Kill Yr. Idols, Washing Machine, Beautiful Platea, and more on that machine and fuck it's awesome.

Rob Instigator 06.01.2010 08:26 AM

whenn I use the downloading juekboxes and put on sonic skronk the bowlin alley turns it off

chicka 06.01.2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
whenn I use the downloading juekboxes and put on sonic skronk the bowlin alley turns it off

Do they refund your money? If not then this obviously demands a rebuttal!
Most bowling alleys have air machines on the lanes to dry your hands, perhaps you should open up the air machine and stick a piece of shit in there to give the alleys some aroma....

Chris Lawrence 06.01.2010 07:28 PM

my favorite local bar has the same 'mega jukebox' thing w/ all kinds of shit... deluxe editions of goo, dirty, and daydream (possibly just disc 1 of each), all of the geffen era albums, etc... i was astounded by the selection when i first stumbled across it!

jennthebenn 06.01.2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

I see 'em hatin'. Patrick and I were bowling a few years back and some little kid kept begging his mom to play "American Idiot" on the juke till she finally did. He was so happy. Fuck that. Soon as it was over, we went over and selected "Rock Lobster." He wasn't so happy after that.

I have never witnessed SY in a jukebox. This town is lame.

EVOLghost 06.02.2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn

I have never witnessed SY in a jukebox. This town is lame.

yer missin' out.

Toilet & Bowels 06.03.2010 05:04 AM

yeah, those downloading jukeboxes are a total waste of money because whatever you play will probably get skipped. last time i was in a pub that had one every single song I put on got skipped, but the dude had to give me my money back for every single song and the more i asked for my money back the more he was getting wound up.

in the 90s it was fairly common to see Sugar Kane or 100% in a jukebox

Diesel 06.03.2010 03:02 PM

My ol' local has 4 songs i think: Teenage riot, bull in the heather, sugar kane and total trash.

Last time i was in there teenage riot came on and i looked over to the jukey and saw and old friend had put it on. Turns out he's a pretentious knob now though..